GAS Price

CPL.Luke

Holy hell, I just payed $3.30/per gallon of gas on friday. I don't know about the rest of the country (US) but its risen almost $.70 over the last 3 weeks or so here in Connecticut, and at this rate it'll be $4 a gallon before we know it.

Now for all the Europians out there remember that a large number of americans commute for more than an hour a day and tend to use up more gas than the average Europian.

Now for all the Europians out there remember that a large number of americans commute for more than an hour a day and tend to use up more gas than the average Europian.

Is this supposed to make us feel sorry for you?

I would like to see 'gas' prices start to include some quantification of the environmental cost. Maybe then people would start to see the the cost of driving large distances regularly is unacceptable.

I would like to see 'gas' prices start to include some quantification of the environmental cost. Maybe then people would start to see the the cost of driving large distances regularly is unacceptable.
Remember that American medium distance trains are sometimes even worse than British ones.

Is this supposed to make us feel sorry for you?

Indeed. Shall we send him a food parcel? Lend-lease in reverse? We know it is their inalienable right to maintain a profligate lifestyle. The rest of the world will just have to make sacrifices so the poor dears dont feel victimised, Or perhaps not.

Remember that most europeans have smaller engines, I commute for around 1h30 a day.

I just did a quick calculation to work out that a US gallon in the UK would cost around $7 Most of which is tax.

good call... we just wont go to work, or maybe well quit our jobs and all just work at the local minimart. thank god you came along and enlightened all of us.

Or like, live a sensible distance from your chosen place of work, use what public transport you have, drive a hybrid car or work from home.

homes sensible distances from good jobs are in high demand, and are therefor both hard to find, and expensive. public transportation relies on having routes near both your home, and your place of work (and in line with your schedual). hybrid cars are still expensive, and not as useful as other vehicles. for most people, if they could work from home they would.

the point, which was clearly not taken, is that its not as simple as everyone just wising up and not using as much gas anymore. people have places they need to be in order to support thier families. it doesnt always work out just right for your idealist plan of everyone working close to home.

homes sensible distances from good jobs are in high demand' date=' and are therefor both hard to find, and expensive. public transportation relies on having routes near both your home, and your place of work (and in line with your schedual). hybrid cars are still expensive, and not as useful as other vehicles. for most people, if they could work from home they would.

the point, which was clearly not taken, is that its not as simple as everyone just wising up and not using as much gas anymore. people have places they need to be in order to support thier families. it doesnt always work out just right for your idealist plan of everyone working close to home.[/quote']

If more people needed public transportation there could be more available, and there would probably be a plausible route near where you live.

There might be one now.

If more people needed public transportation there could be more available' date=' and there would probably be a plausible route near where you live.

There might be one now.[/quote']

no doubt. my dad takes bart(bay area rapid transit) to work everyday. it costs about 8.50 a day to go 40 miles each way. he gets to sit next to all the bums who smell like piss and puke, but he gets to read or sleep, and avoid traffic. all in all a good situation.

however, the point, which apparently still hasnt been taken, is that it doesnt work out for everyone. its not as simple as just deciding to take public transit. people have different circumstances, there ISNT enough public transportation available for everyone, and people have to work. its not like they can just boycott work to get the govt to build more public transportation.

you can keep throwing out all these lovely solutions, and they are all being used, but the fact remains that they are not yet viable solutions for most people.

homes sensible distances from good jobs are in high demand, and are therefor both hard to find, and expensive.

Really? Are they are as expensive as ****ing up the planet? Or were you expecting someone else to pay for that?

The biggest problem is that there is very little public transport in the US. Many major cities have only limited bus systems, or none at all.

Even those who despise any type of government control know that public transportation is a must for large communities. I hope.

The biggest problem is that there is very little public transport in the US. Many major cities have only limited bus systems, or none at all.

[cynical rant]That's because many of us Americans squeal like a stuck pig at any attempt to do something about it. Can't raise taxes to pay for and subsidize such a system, and nobody wants it to pass through their neighborhood (but they want the station nearby). Everyone seems to want alternative power, but e.g. no wind farms where they can actually see them. NIMBY's the word, and no politician is going to risk not getting reelected by supporting programs the public won't support. The public is too nearsighted, for the most part, to support the issues, until it becomes a crisis. Then they'll complain about the government not doing anything all those years, and we'll be stuck with some stopgap half-a-solution, which is the best that can be ushered into legislation at the last minute. And it won't get fixed because something else will distract us (something important, like flag-burning)[/rant]

Even those who despise any type of government control know that public transportation is a must for large communities. I hope.

But, this is especially true for long island, even if a decent bus system was available, people would use it, becasue most people here can afford to keep filling up their gas tanks.

Really? Are they are as expensive as ****ing up the planet? Or were you expecting someone else to pay for that?

you know what?

your right! im going to stop eating TODAY so that i can go buy a hybrid car! rent? PSSSH. the land lord doesnt need money, ill just tell him to wait. the planet needs it more. im sure hell understand.

i dont have this particular problem, but why would peoples kids need food and clothing and shelter? surely its more important to buy a more economic car.

since you clearly dont know what it is your talking about, heres a little break down for you. i used to live in livermore ca. the average sized house there now costs about $750k. the reason? silicon valley. lots and lots of technological jobs. if you move 30 minutes east, away from silicon valley, into tracy, the same size house costs closer to 3 or 4 hundred thousand. which, shockingly enough, is enough of a difference for some guy to be able to buy his kids food this month. who woulda thunk?

I did not mean to try and get sympathy for americans, but just to stopgap any european complaining that the US has it lucky

personally I live in Southern CT about 50 miles from NYC A large number of people I know have parents who work in the city, and my sister lives there. There are a large number of people who hop on the train every morning to get in the city, but anyone who looks at I-95 in the morning will know that far more take their car into the city.

Living this close to the city makes it possible to take an occasional trip into the city with my friends, the following is a breakdown of expenses for a trip into the city either driving in, or using public transportation

public transportation:

two way train ticket: $21.50

2 ride metrocard (for the subway or bus system in the city): $4.00

total:

$23.50 assuming only one destination in the city

driving in:

$20 for gas (if I take the right bridges I don't have to pay any tolls)

my personal method is to take the car in, find free parking, and take the subway for the rest of the day.

apartments in NYC are very expensive, and there are additional problems inherent to any city (although as cities go NYC is pretty good) that make it undesirable for raising children, this makes it difficult to live inside of the city, not to mention that the cost of living in the city is such as to make it cheaper to buy a house out in the country.

i dont have this particular problem' date=' but why would peoples kids need food and clothing and shelter? surely its more important to buy a more economic car.[/quote']

I think this sums it up. If people's kids don't have food, clothing and shelter, why do they buy a car instead of providing for basic needs?!

Someone is going to have to pay for your mess. Who is it going to be?

CPL.Luke: The train is expensive because no-one uses it. If everyone used the train it would become much cheaper. But even by your own admission, right now the train is only $1.50 more expensive than commuting. Don't you think that is worth it to prevent the huge cost you or your children will have to pay later?

PS: I too work in a big city, but I walk to work.

since you clearly dont know what it is your talking about' date=' heres a little break down for you. i used to live in livermore ca. the average sized house there now costs about $750k. the reason? silicon valley. lots and lots of technological jobs. if you move 30 minutes east, away from silicon valley, into tracy, the same size house costs closer to 3 or 4 hundred thousand. which, shockingly enough, is enough of a difference for some guy to be able to buy his kids food this month. who woulda thunk?[/quote']

If gas prices went up by say a factor of 10, what do you think would happen? The companies which are located in silicon valley would have to either increase their wages to provide enough money for their employees to live in the area or commute, or they would have to relocate. The free market says they would relocate and then you too could walk to work.

what city do you work in? London?

anyway all the trains on the metro-north rail are full , to the point where its hard to find a seat unless I'm coming home in the middle of the day or at midnight.

keep in mind that the train runs on electricity, and a very large portion of The US's electrical supply comes from oil.

also the $20 was based on one day I went to the city, and ended up criss-crossing the island about 5 times, if I was going in for a day it might have only been $10, I used the $20 figure as that was the only time I drove into the city (about two months ago) so I used it to be accurate. The main expense in driving to the city is parking, which can be about $10-$15 for a day, however a number of offices maintain their own garages.

something more unique to the city itself that affects commuters is that The main part of the city located on Manhattan island which contains some of the highest landvalues on the planet, and while I can't find any direct reference it was once quoted to me as being $900,000 per acre, and that still seems a bit small to me, considering that the population density of manhattan is 66,000 people per square mile.

also NYC has the most utilized and extensive public transportation systems in the country, the trains are not going to get any cheaper with greater use.