GAS Price

CPL.Luke

anyway all the trains on the metro-north rail are full , to the point where its hard to find a seat unless I'm coming home in the middle of the day or at midnight.

If enough people used it, they'd just add more trains and cars to each train.

keep in mind that the train runs on electricity, and a very large portion of The US's electrical supply comes from oil.

The combination of train and oil-fired powerplant is still more efficient than a car and less polluting, as powerplants are larger and can have much better pollution controls and such built in.

I think this sums it up. If people's kids don't have food, clothing and shelter, why do they buy a car instead of providing for basic needs?!

as long as they dont try to buy a damn hybrid, their kids DO have basic needs.

Someone is going to have to pay for your mess. Who is it going to be?

as a member of the latest generation, im gonna go ahead and say ME. although im rather curious at what point in this conversation it became my mess. i drive all of about 10 miles a day. and not in an suv. i dont know why im bothering to argue that one though... im pretty sure that was just another one of those catchy lines idealists through out because it sounds accurate and incriminating. sort of like fur is murder.

If gas prices went up by say a factor of 10, what do you think would happen? The companies which are located in silicon valley would have to either increase their wages to provide enough money for their employees to live in the area or commute, or they would have to relocate. The free market says they would relocate and then you too could walk to work.

i think if gas prices went up by a factor of 10 the economy would hit a wall. jobs would be lost, trade and transportation would come to a halt, unemployment and poverty would ensue.

after a decade or so of economic depression we would probably end up with your utopia of everyone walking to work.

so we could try throwing the country into an economic spiral, tripling the poverty rate, and generally making the populace suffer for a decade, or we could hold out a little bit longer until biodiesel, hybrid cars, and public transportation can be made widely available.

I live in Boulder which is like, the diametrical opposite of the rest of America. We have an awesome bus system, which I never use because thanks to an extensive system of paths bikes are by far the fastest way to get around town.

the excuse to take public transportation isnt feasible for everyone. and those who it can not convenience, myself among many, are suffering greatly. Im open to suggestions, but realistically, its not going to be effective.