Favorite Neurotransmitter

fafalone

What's Your Favorite Neurotransmitter?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite Neurotransmitter?

• Serotonin
    • GABA
    • Acetylcholine
    • Epinephrine
    • Norepinephrine
    • Dopamine
    • Glutamate

Don't tell me you're a NO or Neuropeptide-Y fan...

I chose serotonin because it's involved in behavioral and perceptive routines and some of the most interesting psychiatric conditions like synesthaesia and scizophrenia.

fafalone said in post #9 :

No one chose glutamate either... which plays an important role in optic transduction.

I could only pick one okay!!

I picked GABA, cause it has a more amusing name. at least under the current circumstances of which I voted it was

Fafalone, is that the same glutamate as in chinesse salt?

Mono Sodium Glutamate (obviously with a sodium ion attatched).

and I could be wrong here so don`t shout at me :)

but wouldn`t the neuro transmitter version be Glutamine, or is that something different again (or same thing with an NH ammonium group)?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Glutamate is constructed from glucose... it does have an amine group, but the name is still glutamate.

well, pretty much any biological molecule is constructed from glucose...

to clear up the confusion:

1) yes, glutamate is the same as MSG. your tongue has receptors for it too, which will potentiate other taste perceptions when stimulated.

2) glutamine is glutamate with an extra amido (not ammonium) group. an important molecule but the neurotransmitter is glutamate.

my all-time favourite is orexin, a neuropeptide that integrates arousal and alertness with motivation and reward. it was discovered only 7 years ago and it's amazing in how many things it has become involved since.

lacking that as an option, I chose dopamine, which is also a good thing to have a lot of.

• 2 weeks later...
This list sucks! Where's phenethylamine?

Agreed. I would say seratonin but I've just finished reading 'Phenethylamine's I have known and loved' (PIHKAL)..... so yea Phenethylamine all the way.

It's an interesting chemical in itself but once you start looking at the whole chemistry of Phenylethylamine derivatives, it's pretty amazing. They include things like anti-depressants, anorectic's, hallucinogens, stimulants, hormones and pretty much all of the neurotransmitters on the original list.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

This list sucks! Where's phenethylamine?

From what i know phehethlyamine becomes serotonin and dopamine via the metabolic process, the transmitters are hugely catalysed by phenethylamines, tryptamines, cathines and assorted other alkaloids .... much greater than that of ingesting cocoa through chocolate or spicy food.... biggrin.png

There is no "phenethylamine" transmitter, there are "trace amines" which im not quite sure about but they dont seem very prevalent in the brain...

Edited by DevilSolution