ChatGPT

Brainee

5 minutes ago, Brainee said:

Is ChatGPT trustworthy? Is it reliable? I have used it a lot in science and mathematics.

You're a mug then, because it isn't. We've already had some threads discussing how unreliable it is for mathematical science. 

Edited by exchemist

10 hours ago, Brainee said:

Is ChatGPT trustworthy? Is it reliable? I have used it a lot in science and mathematics.

It'll write something that sounds believable, but may not be correct.

I do think it can give useful insight into a subject.

On 10/7/2023 at 11:52 PM, swansont said:

Why would you use a language model for science or math?

On 10/7/2023 at 8:50 PM, exchemist said:

You're a mug then, because it isn't. We've already had some threads discussing how unreliable it is for mathematical science. 

I have used it and it has given what appears to be correct. It gives same answer as Google search.

58 minutes ago, Brainee said:

I have used it and it has given what appears to be correct. It gives same answer as Google search.

Sure, it might sometimes, but others on this forum have found instances where it is wrong or nonsensical. As @studiot says, it is language model. As such it is not well adapted for mathematical science. 

You asked if it is reliable, and the answer is evidently no it isn't. 

Edited by exchemist

54 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Sure, it might sometimes, but others on this forum have found instances where it is wrong or nonsensical. As @studiot says, it is language model. As such it is not well adapted for mathematical science. 

You asked if it is reliable, and the answer is evidently no it isn't. 

Thanks and I agree that CHATGPT is a language model.

How many know what that means ?

However I think @swansont deserves the credit for the quote here.

It’s not hard to find examples of ChatGPT giving wrong math/science answers.

GPT stands for Generative Pre-trained Transformer, which is, as I said, a language model. ChatGPT is designed to generate answers that sound human.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/over-just-few-months-chatgpt-232905189.html

“Over the course of the study researchers found that in March GPT-4 was able to correctly identify that the number 17077 is a prime number 97.6% of the times it was asked. But just three months later, its accuracy plummeted a lowly 2.4%.”

https://news.asu.edu/20230221-discoveries-do-math-chatgpt-sometimes-cant-expert-says

“Our initial tests on ChatGPT, done in early January, indicate that performance is significantly below the 60% accuracy for state-of-the-art algorithm for math word problem-solvers,”

Also

“It’s designed around a concept called next word prediction, where for when you ask it something, it’s going to predict what the related words are based on a corpus (text and speech) data.”

• 1 month later...