What are your routine news sources?

StringJunky

Mine are: Aljazeera, BBC, Reuters, The Intercept, Kyiv Post, Institute for the Study of War, Moscow Times, UK Defence Journal, Associated Press and Politico. I like to try and get varied perspectives as seen from different countries on similar subjects that interest me. I have noted that AP and ISoW are cited by the others listed quite a lot.

Edited by StringJunky

56 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Mine are: Aljazeera, BBC, Reuters, The Intercept, Kyiv Post, Institute for the Study of War, Moscow Times, UK Defence Journal, Associated Press and Politico. I like to try and get varied perspectives as seen from different countries on similar subjects that interest me. I have noted that AP and ISoW are cited by the others listed quite a lot.

Financial Times, BBC, Guardian, Reuters, mainly. I also check Independent, Brexograph (headlines only, to see what the Swivel-Eyes are thinking, or being told to think ) and the Spectator and New Statesman for commentary.  And others from time to time on specific topics, e.g. Forbes, Business Insider, New Scientist, Nature publications etc. 

I try to have some variety, too.  Reuters, Guardian, LA Times, Washington Post, AP News, Daily Kos, Vice News (for its "underreported stories" emphasis), Politico, National Review (has retained a few conservatives with the capacity for independent thought), BBC,  National Public Radio (US), and The Atlantic.  

And of course Journal of Toenail Fungus for its guest editorials by deposed dictators, unique perspectives I can find nowhere else.

1 hour ago, TheVat said:

I try to have some variety, too.  Reuters, Guardian, LA Times, Washington Post, AP News, Daily Kos, Vice News (for its "underreported stories" emphasis), Politico, National Review (has retained a few conservatives with the capacity for independent thought), BBC,  National Public Radio (US), and The Atlantic.  

And of course Journal of Toenail Fungus for its guest editorials by deposed dictators, unique perspectives I can find nowhere else.

Oh I go to the National Lubricating Grease Institute Spokesman for that: https://www.nlgi.org/nlgi-spokesman/

I don't follow the news very closely anymore. Primary source for Canadian and world news is CBC. If I want to follow to follow up a particular event or topic, I seek out the reliable on-line sources that are most knowledgeable on the topic, and that still let me. I also read most of Gwynn Deyer's colomns.

Previously, when I was both more interested and had satellite tv, I watched PBS NewsHour and TVO's The Agenda regularly and several late-night talk shows and weekend newsmagazines. I still sometimes look in on them on You Tube.  

This quote only needs a small 100-year update:

If you have a care for your digestion, my advice is: avoid the subjects of Bolshevism and medicine at the dinner-table. And whatever you do, don't read the Soviet newspapers before dinner.

1 hour ago, Genady said:

This quote only needs a small 100-year update:

The part two of that quote is:

'M'mm . . . But there are no other newspapers.'

'In that case don't read any at all. Do you know I once made thirty tests in my clinic. And what do you think? The patients who never read newspapers felt excellent. Those whom I specially made read Pravda all lost weight.

Bulgakov?  I had only heard part of the quote, about Soviet  newspapers before dinner.  

It remains fresh advice, yes.  

3 hours ago, exchemist said:

Oh I go to the National Lubricating Grease Institute Spokesman for that: https://www.nlgi.org/nlgi-spokesman/

I have heard their annual flagpole climbing contest is quite the spectacle.

One of my special favourites was Nuntii Latini - a news website in classical Latin run by the Finnish radio broadcaster YLE. Sadly they shut down about 4 years ago  (as noted in this BBC article)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-48661183

Quite apart from the fun of reading news headlines in Latin that could have come straight off the pages of Julius Caesar e.g.  "Naval forces set sail to combat pirates off the coast of Africa", you often found topical news stories from Finland that weren't covered anywhere else.

On 8/2/2023 at 8:59 PM, Genady said:

If you have a care for your digestion, my advice is: avoid the subjects of Bolshevism and medicine at the dinner-table. And whatever you do, don't read the Soviet newspapers before dinner.

Back in the days of the Soviet Union, there were only two official newspapers available for reading. One was called Pravda ( Правда - ‘Truth’) -  the official newspaper of the Soviet Communist Party, and the other was called Izvestia (Известия - ‘The News’) which was the organ of the Supreme Soviet.

A popular salt-mine joke was that ”There is no Pravda in Izvestia, and no Izvestia in Pravda”.

13 minutes ago, toucana said:

Back in the days of the Soviet Union, there were only two official newspapers available for reading.

There were more than two. About half dozen central ones, and many regional, professional, special interest etc. A representative, albeit partial list can be found here: Printed media in the Soviet Union - Wikipedia

6 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

The two mentioned were the ones often cited in UK papers iirc.

They were the two most circulated and subscribed to, mainly because people were often forced to subscribe to them. They were not most read though. But they were most used as substitution for non-exist toilet paper.

2 minutes ago, Genady said:

They were the two most circulated and subscribed to, mainly because people were often forced to subscribe to them. They were not most read though. But they were most used as substitution for non-exist toilet paper.

Izal toilet paper was just as bad in the British public toilets. :) 

4 hours ago, StringJunky said:

When anyone puts 'Truth' in a name, you know they are lying. Trump's Truth Social site comes to mind.

Quite. Also often the case with “People’s” and “Democratic”, as in People’s Republic of China or German Democratic Republic.

8 hours ago, toucana said:

Back in the days of the Soviet Union, there were only two official newspapers available for reading. One was called Pravda ( Правда - ‘Truth’) -  the official newspaper of the Soviet Communist Party, and the other was called Izvestia (Известия - ‘The News’) which was the organ of the Supreme Soviet.

A popular salt-mine joke was that ”There is no Pravda in Izvestia, and no Izvestia in Pravda”.

@StringJunky ...they rebranded McDonald's in Russia in 2022, to "Tasty, period".. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vkusno_i_tochka