Is it obscene ?

Externet

Of course it's not obscene. It's an accident of nature, and one species - only one - finds it risible.

(Would it be obscene if it had been deliberately sculpted by a human who knew why it's funny? No, but it wouldn't be a terrific work of art, either.)

6 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

What's funny is having a town named Dildo in Canada,

deleted 

(just clicked the link, and I see the caption writer made the same joke, so I deleted)

Some of the town store names could be potentially amusing.

Dildo Appliance

Dildo Electric

Dildo Construction

Let me restate here:  every store with the town in its name is going to be amusing.

Edited by TheVat

7 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

What's funny is having a town named Dildo in Canada,

I suspect the town's nautical name predates the other usage. 

What's even funnier is foreign surnames that sound like body parts and functions.

https://www.momjunction.com/articles/funny-last-names-surnames-in-the-world_00773821/

Edited by Peterkin

1 hour ago, TheVat said:

93, on that list...seemed understandable why it's rare.

In the county of Berkshire, in England, there is a place called Soggy Bottom.  (it was also a fictitious locale in Louisiana, in the movie O Brother Where Art Thou?)

https://mapcarta.com/N1246380035

Soggy Bottom was probably a bog/marsh area. In the US there's Froggy Bottom and that was named for its land type. I find it interesting that street names denote what the area was and maybe the only clue. Being 61, I've seen places disappear under street/ road signs and commerce and that's all that's left.

Subdivision names are important for a whole host of reasons.

Some of our favorite subdivision names include:

• Alexander Woods, Beverley Woods, Brittany Oaks 
  • Sycamore Village, Chestnut Lake, Victory Lakes
  • Magnolia Estates, The Waters, Crystal Cove Coldwater Canyon, Rolling Hills, Hidden Hills
  • and for a retirement community: Heaven View Estates

This is why there are subdivision name generators like SubdivisionNamer, where you can quickly brainstorm name ideas for your community.

Now, that's obscene!

33 minutes ago, TheVat said:

wood, and there are no woods.  

Or if there were, they were bulldozed to make way for the freckled-brick houses and lawns you're not allowed to fence or grow vegetables in.

Real names have history. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/pov-ainsley-hawthorn-from-dildo-to-witless-bay-nl-unusual-place-names-1.5263826

Subdivisions, industrial 'parks' and shopping malls do not. 

Edited by Peterkin