HTML

Lizwi

Hi

I have learnt that notepad is HTML editor,  then what is HTML itself,  is HTML a software? Can I edit directly on HTML? 

For example, if I do programming in python I write a code in python itself not in any editor. 

Is HTML a software like python? 

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Lizwi said:

Hi

I have learnt that notepad is HTML editor,  then what is HTML itself,  is HTML a software? Can I edit directly on HTML? 

For example, if I do programming in python I write a code in python itself not in any editor. 

Thanks

I  just used it to create web pages

If you went to any page and found the "source" of the page it would show up in notepad ,a basic free text editor that came with Windows.

If you edited that source code and clicked "save" or "save as" you would find that the page had been updated when viewed in the browser

It was best to use notepad because it was so simple   but any text editor could work.

HTML = Hypertext Markup Language

You are marking up or indicating how you want some text displayed.

Your browser interprets the underlying HTML text when it displays a web  page.

W3 Schools  has a good tutorial if interested:

https://www.w3schools.com/html/

Most websites use JavaScript as well, which is another coding language like Python.

Edited by Endy0816

1 hour ago, Lizwi said:

Not really.. Python can be created in any text file and/or generated on demand by other script or application..

e.g. echo >script.py "python script content" then execute it..

Any programming language code can be written in any text editor (as long as you don't start using UTF-8/Unicode, some text editors don't support Unicode, which will result in damage of the code)

The code is written in text file format (exceptions can be counted on one lumberjack hand, e.g. Amiga Amos https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOS_(programming_language) )

2 hours ago, Lizwi said:

I have learnt that notepad is HTML editor, 

It could be, but it is not really webmaster friendly editor. Try mousepad on Linux, or ConTEXT/NotePad+ on Windows.

Terminal/shell can be "HTML editor" too.. you just do: echo >index.html "<html>.....</html>"

2 hours ago, Lizwi said:

Not really.

HTML is Hyper Text Markup Language, which has nothing to do with programming languages, apart of suffix in the name. It's just a way to encode tags. HTML can be interpreted only by web-browser. Python is a way more robust and general purpose language..

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, pacman9090 said:

Python is what adds functionality to a webpage. You can write web applications for a website in computer languages like Java or C#.

..only if you have a dedicated server.. but on a dedicated server, you can use any language to dynamically generate HTML/CSS/JS on the fly..

Java applets are no longer supported by web browsers (client-side).

6 hours ago, Sensei said:

..only if you have a dedicated server.. but on a dedicated server, you can use any language to dynamically generate HTML/CSS/JS on the fly..

Java applets are no longer supported by web browsers (client-side).

I did some research and had discovered you can create websites in Python using Django or Flask. I had also read you can create Java servlets that can run in webpages.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello this is Gulshan Negi

Yes, you can edit HTML directly, but it is often easier and more convenient to use a text editor or integrated development environment (IDE) with syntax highlighting and other tools to assist in the creation and editing of HTML files. Examples of text editors that support HTML include Notepad, Sublime Text, and Visual Studio Code. Secondly HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) is a language used to create and structure web pages. It is not the software itself, but rather a markup language that is used to describe the structure and content of web pages.
Thanks

I know C and C++ are two fast, efficient, and mature computer languages that can be used to create operating systems, applications, and games. Are Go and Rust, two fast and efficient computer languages, that are also less mature than C and C++, good, if not better, alternatives, when it comes to speed and efficiency, for programming operating systems, applications, and games? I also know C++, Go, and Rust are considered modern computer languages, while C is not.

Edited by Phi for All
Removed unintended quote

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No, HTML is not a software like Python. HTML stands for HyperText Markup Language and is a markup language used to create webpages. It is not a programming language and cannot be used to write code. You can edit HTML directly, but you need to use a text editor (like Notepad) or a web development tool (like Dreamweaver) in order to do this.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 8:40 AM, Bunty12 said:

No, HTML is not a software like Python. HTML stands for HyperText Markup Language and is a markup language used to create webpages. It is not a programming language and cannot be used to write code. You can edit HTML directly, but you need to use a text editor (like Notepad) or a web development tool (like Dreamweaver) in order to do this.

Yes, HTML is not a programming language, but you can use it to write software that runs on web browsers, and use it alongside a stylesheet languages like CSS, or a computer programming languages like JavaScript, Python, Ruby, and other computer programming languages. Some popular text editors for writing HTML code include Sublime Text, Visual Studio Code, and Notepad++.