Star Trek is here: US Navy shoots down drone with a laser.

StringJunky

A laser weapon capable of shooting down flying drones has been deployed for the very first time by the US Navy, though only for demonstration purposes. Until now, many questions had lingered over whether laser-based weaponry would ever become an effective tool in modern warfare, some of which have now been answered by official footage of the event.

Installed aboard the USS Portland, the 150-kilowatt-class Technology Maturation Laser Weapon System Demonstrator (LWSD) was used to successfully disable an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) on May 16, 2020, in what was the first use of a high-energy class solid-state laser weapon.

"By conducting advanced at-sea tests against UAVs and small crafts, we will gain valuable information on the capabilities of the Solid State Laser Weapons System Demonstrator against potential threats," said US Navy Captain Karrey Sanders in a statement.

"With this new advanced capability, we are redefining war at sea for the Navy."

https://www.iflscience.com/technology/us-navy-released-footage-laser-weapon-shooting-down-drone-first-time/

3 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I don't see it, but I don't doubt you because English is my native language and intuitively understanding the author's intent likely makes me blind to it.

It can be interpreted - as intended - that Navy used laser to shoot down drone. But it also can be interpreted that Navy shoots down drone which had a laser on it.

Here is a snapshot from an MIT lecture with a similar example.

2022-04-23.png.d0996904c58f135e35349ecbc6a74c37.png

23 minutes ago, Genady said:

It can be interpreted - as intended - that Navy used laser to shoot down drone. But it also can be interpreted that Navy shoots down drone which had a laser on it.

Understood now.  

14 hours ago, Genady said:

I often notice ambiguous phrasing and find it very entertaining.  Headlines like...

Kids make nutritious snacks

Miners refuse to work after death

Panda mating fails, veterinarian takes over

Old school pillars are replaced by alumni

...make me wonder if some languages have a syntactical structure that makes such phrases more common.  (For another thread, perhaps)

23 hours ago, MigL said:

Lasers are fine; but there's no way I'm stepping into a teleporter.
( a fly might be in there with me )

I teleported home one night

with Ron and Sid and Meg

Ron stole Maggie's heart away

And I got Sidney's leg.

(Douglas Adams. Who else?)

1 hour ago, exchemist said:

I teleported home one night

Never mind the Star Trek teleporters, which should be called disintegrators ...
I was thinking more along the lines of Vincent Price ( 1958 ) and Jeff Goldblum ( 1986 ).
( ok, I watch a lot of movies )

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.