Fencing around Capitol for Sept. 18 ?

Airbrush

1 hour ago, Airbrush said:

When was the last time I promoted police violence? 

Thursday

11 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

Oh, that's a relief. It's from the same clear-thinking, rational war that brought us phosgene gas. And, you can buy some, cheap, from army surplus stores.

I don't see how someone improvising a barrier to keep people from killing him is similar to creating phosgene gas to kill others. Your mind works in mysterious ways.

1 hour ago, Peterkin said:

Two armies ordered to kill and maim each other come up with different methods of doing it - but that doesn't render any of these activities sane.

So if you are being attacked and put up a defensive barrier that will injure the attacker when he comes after you, you consider yourself to be insane.

I'm sticking with "mysterious".

Edited by zapatos

19 hours ago, zapatos said:

Thursday

Please quote the post where I promote police violence.  It is not easy to track down "Thursday."

You think I'm a Trumper when I have always been a very vocal never-Trumper.  Please give me some other examples of my posts that make me sound like a Trumper.  You are not a very good judge of personalities.  I've known you, thru your posts here, for about a decade.  We both started posting here about a decade ago.  After a decade of posting, you think I'm a Trumper. 😄

Edited by Airbrush

2 hours ago, Airbrush said:

Please quote the post where I promote police violence.  It is not easy to track down "Thursday."

You think I'm a Trumper when I have always been a very vocal never-Trumper.  Please give me some other examples of my posts that make me sound like a Trumper.  You are not a very good judge of personalities.  I've known you, thru your posts here, for about a decade.  We both started posting here about a decade ago.  After a decade of posting, you think I'm a Trumper. 😄

No, I don't really think you are a Trumper. The point I was trying to make (poorly as it turns out) was that you on occasion will take your dislike of Trump to an extreme. When you are at that extreme you can show some traits that are not dissimilar to some Trumpers. 

For example on Thursday you created this thread and said:

If they put up fencing around the Capitol again, that will prevent the Trumpers from entering restricted Capitol property.  Instead the Capitol police should set up an ambush with no fences. 

My guess is that ambushing thousands of Trumpers is going to lead to a violent situation. 

Reminds me of how Trumpers wanted a violent reaction to BLM protesters instead of letting them occupy a bit of downtown Seattle.

2 hours ago, Airbrush said:

I have a friend who votes Republican, mostly because he equates small government with NO government. He thinks he's conservative, because that's what most Republicans think of themselves (in my experience), often equating it with "common sense". The problem is, he's anything BUT conservative, in many ways. I can't think of any area where my friend thinks conservatively, not the clothes he wears, the hobbies he has, and certainly not the politics he supports.

What my friend really is is an antigovernment radical, an extremist. He has extreme positions wrt what should be done to fix this country. From a young age, he was taught to mistrust the government and do everything he could to pay as little taxes as possible. He's not so energized that he goes to rallies or anything (wife and two daughters ground him a bit), but he cheered the Jan 6 insurrectionists as freedom fighters, and happily defends Trump (until it comes to the pussy-grabbing, which he believes every politician has done at some time or other, so that cancels out in his mind). The way he wants to fix things doesn't account for compromise. His faction thinks compromise is part of what got us into our present troubles, so they take the extreme position of "My way or the highway".

I think zapatos might be picking up on some of YOUR extremism, Airbrush. Some of your solutions over the years have been a bit over the top, and here you are making plans to defend the capital using our science discussion forum, so perhaps that makes you seem a bit Trumpy wrt this issue.

edit: cross-posted with zapatos

Edited by Phi for All

Trumpism is all memes and slogans and other things that replicate easily on social media.   It rolls its angry tank treads over facts, nuance,  insight,  expertise,  evidence, accountability, and error detection.  Like fascism,  Trumpism thinks the world must be simple.  And people, too.   

So when you are beguiled by some really simple solution to a complex real-world problem,  you're getting a little taste of what Trumpism is all about.