To abstract or not to abstract

Bartholomew Jones

2 minutes ago, iNow said:

Whether in ecology or elsewhere, equilibrium is a balanced state toward which nearly all systems tend... the position of least possible energy expenditure.

Now... Without making me feel like I’m trying to interpret a fortune cookie, will you  kindly please elaborate on why you thought this was the best possible response to:

”Suggestions that quarantine leads to increased spread of covid are self-evidently ridiculous to the point of absurdity and insanity?”

Firstly, you didn't answer the question.  Secondly, you're not swansont; whom you're apparently trying to exonerate as far as I can see.

4 minutes ago, iNow said:

You’re nowhere even close, but if breaking it is your goal then it’s obviously time to leave, whether voluntarily or not. 

I'm not here to please people, or to be pleased.

1 hour ago, Bartholomew Jones said:

Firstly, you didn't answer the question.  Secondly, you're not swansont; whom you're apparently trying to exonerate as far as I can see.

Whatever. Please answer the question. 

2 hours ago, Bartholomew Jones said:

Answer me this then, if you understand science.  What is equilibrium in an ecology?

1 hour ago, iNow said:

Without making me feel like I’m trying to interpret a fortune cookie, will you  kindly please elaborate on why you thought this was the best possible response to:

”Suggestions that quarantine leads to increased spread of covid are self-evidently ridiculous to the point of absurdity and insanity?”

As I’m not here to act like an insufferable jerk as you seem to be, I’ll gladly answer any question you pose. However, right now, I’m not at all clear what you’d like answered. 

If you read back, I actual DID answer your question asking about equilibrium. Please, sir. What question have you asked that you feel I’ve ignored?

So, let’s be human toward each other for a moment. Answer my question regarding quarantine supposedly leading to higher incidence of covid... I raised the idea to my toddler who (despite you suggesting was incapable of understanding how to operate a doorknob) said that idea was obviously dumb, and I agree. Why do you assert otherwise?

Edited by iNow

34 minutes ago, iNow said:

Whatever. Please answer the question. 

As I’m not here to act like an insufferable jerk as you seem to be, I’ll gladly answer any question you pose. However, right now, I’m not at all clear what you’d like answered. 

If you read back, I actual DID answer your question asking about equilibrium. Please, sir. What question have you asked that you feel I’ve ignored?

So, let’s be human toward each other for a moment. Answer my question regarding quarantine supposedly leading to higher incidence of covid... I raised the idea to my toddler who (despite you suggesting was incapable of understanding how to operate a doorknob) said that idea was obviously dumb, and I agree. Why do you assert otherwise?

The question is not general; equilibrium (9th grade?) It's specific: what is equilibrium in an ecology.  

10 hours ago, Bartholomew Jones said:

Answer me this then, if you understand science.  What is equilibrium in an ecology?

!

Moderator Note

You misunderstand the nature of this exchange. I'm telling you to follow the rules. This is not a negotiation. You don't get to say "no" if you wish to remain.

2 hours ago, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

You misunderstand the nature of this exchange. I'm telling you to follow the rules. This is not a negotiation. You don't get to say "no" if you wish to remain.

I don't need you.  In fact, this is a diversion from my work.  I've respected the rules.  You disrespect truth.

15 minutes ago, Bartholomew Jones said:

I don't need you.  In fact, this is a diversion from my work.  I've respected the rules.  You disrespect truth.

Do you ever hear scientists speak of 'truth'? It is not a goal serious ones aspire to because there is no way to know. History shows us that it is a moving target.

Edited by StringJunky

54 minutes ago, Bartholomew Jones said:

I don't need you.  In fact, this is a diversion from my work. 

!

Moderator Note

This is a big problem since this is a discussion forum. If you don't need us to talk things out, it means you're preaching.

56 minutes ago, Bartholomew Jones said:

I've respected the rules.  You disrespect truth.

!

Moderator Note

Preaching is against the rules, so this is false. See how reasoning works? This is what we value over your hand-waving beliefs and your god guesswork. You think you've found Truth, and you're going to ignore anybody who tries to help. We see this a lot, we tried to do what we could to help you, but it seems you're going to ignore all of that and stand against accumulated human knowledge. Have a good New Year, and I'm going to recommend to staff that you do so elsewhere. You need to find a place that isn't interested in facts, where you can make up your own truth anytime you want to.