Hall of Shame

Cap'n Refsmmat

I'd like to create a Hall of Shame for all of the infamously memorable people on SFN.

People that are:

• Idiotic
  • Strawmanners
  • Trolls
  • Twats
  • Pseudoscientists
  • Religion-spreading evolution-hating people

And so on.

Shall we begin? Make your suggestions here.

(Please-just their names and what they did. No name-calling, flaming, or whatever. If you were put here and you disagree, hush.)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, a list I actually have a chance at. But what area?

Strawmanning? Nope, I don't cut the hay for another two months.

Trolls?. I get a cold hiding under bridges.

Pe-ewdoscientist? I'm not a scientist, so it doesn't matter whether I bathe or not. ( Or whether my idea stinks.)

Religion spreading? Is that something like manure spreading?

*sob* Is there nothing left? *sob*

Though not all-around bad, Johnny5 certainly had his moments, especially his last.

I want to curse you out, by my superintelligence prevents it. Keep your latex. You don't know how to use it anyways. And to all those who liked me...Yeah I'll miss you. Phi for all whined about something a day or so ago. I suspect I threaten his lack of intelligence. And mokele, you weren't there now were you. Bye all You are just nerds after all. I am the end of the evolution of the human race. I am the Universe. And I'm out.

I'd like to create a Hall of Shame for all of the infamously memorable people on SFN.

People that are:

• Idiotic
  • Strawmanners
  • Trolls
  • Twats
  • Pseudoscientists
  • Religion-spreading evolution-hating people

And so on.

Shall we begin? Make your suggestions here.

(Please-just their names and what they did. No name-calling' date=' flaming, or whatever. If you were put here and you disagree, hush.)[/quote']

What an awful and shameful thing to do or suggest.

To me it indicates just how far our civilization has fallen from its healthy moral and ethical roots, that you don't even know right from wrong, yet you wish to brand others with a shameful stigma. Makes me want to vomit.

Why don't you make an honour role instead, and inspire people to do their best?

It's shameful enough to be neglected and not noted for anything, even courtesy. Most people I think are put down, insulted and told they are useless and can't accomplish anything about ten times as much as they are encouraged. This is exactly what breeds social misfits and serial killers. So go ahead, make some more. Maybe they'll give your daughter a lift home from the bar.

TWATS
More patriarchical sexist (=racist) shiite.

Why not just say "No girls allowed"?

If 'TWATS' is okee dokee, why not just say 'C*NTS'.

Where's a hall monitor when you need one?

yet you wish to brand others with a shameful stigma.
That's the one. What's so wrong with disscussing peoples actions?
Why don't you make an honour role instead' date=' and inspire people to do their best?[/quote']The expert ranking already accounts for that, but I'm sure no-one would be opposed if you really wanted to start an honour role. Although it would still be branding people.
More patriarchical sexist (=racist) shiite.

Why not just say "No girls allowed"?

If 'TWATS' is okee dokee' date=' why not just say 'C*NTS'.

Where's a hall monitor when you need one?[/quote']Twats only refers to a certain part of girls, maybe if cocks were also included in the list you'd be happier?

I fail to see how sexism equates to racism but that doesn't matter because there hasn't been an example of either so far.

Twats carries the connatation of ignorance and idocy whereas your alternative term carries connatations of argressiveness and general unpleasantries so each term has a seperate purpose.

...you don't even know right from wrong, yet you wish to brand others with a shameful stigma...

how can he conform to what you think "right and wrong" are when you have yet to define them? right and wrong are POV; they are different for each person.

That's the one. What's so wrong with disscussing peoples actions?
I guess I wouldn't say the case is black and white.

Presumably on a Physics Forum we are mainly discussing physics.

I suppose if there really is a problem then a person's actions could be discussed.

At least that would be better than labelling the person.

(i.e., remind someone of guidelines, as opposed to attacking them directly and branding them.)

how can he conform to what you think "right and wrong" are when you have yet to define them? right and wrong are POV; they are different for each person.
Actually I probably agree with this.

The difference is, he is proposing to judge others on some standard (his own?),

whereas I am not suggesting we brand anyone without establishing an ethical foundation first at the very least.

In some sense I am 'judging': judging that a 'Hall of Shame' would be a bad idea.

In places of employment and schools, such activity has led to emotional attacks by disgruntled employees and horrific incidents of juvenile violent crime. The internet is not a 'safe' place to engage in an UNSAFE and stupid practice.

an honour role... would still be branding people.
Quite right. But my point relies rather not on the technicality of 'branding', but in merit of praise over criticism and attack. My original point should have made clear that people are put down ten times as often as they are encouraged, and this has a horrific cost upon us all.