Jump to content
Sorrow

Biology/Physics/Math and the Afterlife

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello im new in this forum because i got a question that is triggering me.

As we all know, we must die one day. But what about the atoms and molecules?

These are absorbed through various processes ? The question that comes up to me is: Would it be possible for our molecules and atoms to find each other in different ways to reassemble and how are the odds for this, so to speak 
and would there a way to describe this through physics or mathematics? What are the biological factors there? It should be possible to test this in a closed environment for decades?
Just a theory I would like to hear your thoughts on it. Whenever i read something about reincarnation, the soul is called, but maybe just because it still needs an explanation?
Another question that also concerns me within that: If you let yourself be burned after death. Wouldn't you have a chance to come back because the particles would be destroyed?
Its just a huge train of thoughts behind this and i dont think i will get a solution about everything but i think its a very intresting idea and i obviously couldnt find something in google. #LuL
So if someone knows a theory and thoughts on it, please share it to me.

 

Oh one more thought: Wouldnt that be also the explanation of life in it self? That we are kept in that universe which we cannot escape? If the universe will collaps someday and expand again it all starts again?
So to say we cannot reach  a godlike form. Well however last edit.
Kind regards

Sorrow

p.s: Im sorry for my bad english and please dont be so hard on me.

Edited by Sorrow
bad english / another thought...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the simplest answer is that only living things can make living things and once something dies it's irreversible, in our current state of knowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with StringJunky. I will just try to add other aspects after him.  

11 minutes ago, Sorrow said:

p.s: Im sorry for my bad english and please dont be so hard on me.

You've done nothing to deserve people being hard on you, as far as I can see.

40 minutes ago, Sorrow said:

If you let yourself be burned after death. Wouldn't you have a chance to come back because the particles would be destroyed?

The particles are not destroyed after your body burns; they just change chemical state. Your iron will still be iron; your sulfur, sulfur; your magnesium, magnesium. They'll change the oxidation state and keep going. They're going to feed somebody else, that's all. Maybe a plant.

Speculating about the afterlife may be perfectly valid, but it's not a subject of science. "Theory" is also one of the most widely misunderstood terms in science.

One last thing. I think this question belongs in philosophy. As the afterlife is not a topic of biology.

Be optimistic, @Sorrow. Nature takes care of everything, even if our tiny, fatty, bloody, watery brain can't understand it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2020 at 4:12 PM, Sorrow said:

Hello im new in this forum because i got a question that is triggering me.


As we all know, we must die one day. But what about the atoms and molecules?

why not? but what ...?( I think you did not conclude  the setence with a meaningful/obvious result)

if you implied an action like given in this sentence: "might atoms and molecules also be destroyed (i.e. died (but they already do not live :) ))"

then , why not?(if you implied destruction,ok.) (but with one notation: I think this will potentially fall outside the scope of this forum or will potentially be accepted so)

These are absorbed through various processes ? The question that comes up to me is: Would it be possible for our molecules and atoms to find each other in different ways to reassemble and how are the odds for this, so to speak

 Whenever i read something about reincarnation,

again this seems that it is more relevant to "belief" ,thus you need some readings in the area of arts and human sciences or social sciences. 

would there a way to describe this through physics or mathematics? /quote]

if you ...

meant that (in assumption) 1) everything will be destroyed first 2) something (but not eveything) will be obtained after that.

some similar circumstances might happen. I can provide a very weak and incomplete solution only. :(

So if someone knows a theory and thoughts on it, please share it to me.

I recommend that you scan articles in the area of arts and human sciences  & social sciences.

 

 

 

 

 

On 6/6/2020 at 4:33 PM, StringJunky said:

I think the simplest answer is that only living things can make living things and once something dies it's irreversible, in our current state of knowledge.

mm, do seeds live?

 

viruses, and ..prions (maybe I did not write this correctly)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defining "life" gets interesting and does not have much consensus.

  • Ability to reproduce/heritable information
  • Metabolism/Homeostasis (organisms can maintain themselves)
  • It is generally considered that cells are the fundamental building block of life.

While "life" is not well defined you will find that there is pretty strong agreement on the items you mention:

  • virus are not life forms
  • "seeds" are gametes - a step in the reproduction of certain life forms.
  • Prions are proteins, not life (though proteins are a good example of emergence in the world if life forms)

On the whole biology (life) emerges from chemistry but chemicals are not life. Molecules are not really "destroyed" but the can be transformed into other molecules. Atoms are not life and on-the-whole are not destroyed (physicists will provide plenty of corrections to that statement).

Interestingly the atoms in your body largely have been around for billions of years and started as star dust. The origin of matter and atoms themselves, is another fascinating topic.

You might enjoy this - a podcast by a well known Physicist interviewing a biologist and talking about "what is life?"

https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/podcast/2020/01/13/79-sara-imari-walker-on-information-and-the-origin-of-life/

In an attempt to not break rules, the podcast takes a broader view on the definition of life, considers software/IT and looks to how life might appear beyond earth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2020 at 4:12 PM, Sorrow said:

So to say we cannot reach  a godlike form. Well however last edit.

no. but as it said, I think that this subject extends to "belief" rather than being biological subject.

but to me, as both in physical direction and biological, I do not think that something can be happened two times in the same form in general

 

On 6/16/2020 at 9:12 AM, druS said:

Defining "life" gets interesting and does not have much consensus.

  • Ability to reproduce/heritable information
  • Metabolism/Homeostasis (organisms can maintain themselves)
  • It is generally considered that cells are the fundamental building block of life.

While "life" is not well defined you will find that there is pretty strong agreement on the items you mention:

  • virus are not life forms
  • "seeds" are gametes - a step in the reproduction of certain life forms.
  • Prions are proteins, not life (though proteins are a good example of emergence in the world if life forms)

On the whole biology (life) emerges from chemistry but chemicals are not life. Molecules are not really "destroyed" but the can be transformed into other molecules. Atoms are not life and on-the-whole are not destroyed (physicists will provide plenty of corrections to that statement).

Interestingly the atoms in your body largely have been around for billions of years and started as star dust. The origin of matter and atoms themselves, is another fascinating topic.

thanks for clarification/explanation. I think that the destruction of all the things is possible. (here, including atoms,molecules,too)

Edited by ahmet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2020 at 8:12 AM, Sorrow said:

Hello im new in this forum because i got a question that is triggering me.


As we all know, we must die one day. But what about the atoms and molecules?

These are absorbed through various processes ? The question that comes up to me is: Would it be possible for our molecules and atoms to find each other in different ways to reassemble and how are the odds for this, so to speak 
and would there a way to describe this through physics or mathematics? What are the biological factors there? It should be possible to test this in a closed environment for decades?
Just a theory I would like to hear your thoughts on it. Whenever i read something about reincarnation, the soul is called, but maybe just because it still needs an explanation?
Another question that also concerns me within that: If you let yourself be burned after death. Wouldn't you have a chance to come back because the particles would be destroyed?
Its just a huge train of thoughts behind this and i dont think i will get a solution about everything but i think its a very intresting idea and i obviously couldnt find something in google. #LuL
So if someone knows a theory and thoughts on it, please share it to me.

 

Oh one more thought: Wouldnt that be also the explanation of life in it self? That we are kept in that universe which we cannot escape? If the universe will collaps someday and expand again it all starts again?
So to say we cannot reach  a godlike form. Well however last edit.
Kind regards

Sorrow

p.s: Im sorry for my bad english and please dont be so hard on me.

Looking at it from a very simple perspective, the universe has a fixed amount of matter/energy. Things are made and break down all the time; planets, mountains, people, molecules. Since there is a fixed amount of stuff in the universe, you are made of up what was once something else, and in the future parts of your body will go into the construction of other things. Every breath you take is likely to have molecules in it from the very last breath of Caesar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2020 at 7:12 AM, Sorrow said:

Wouldnt that be also the explanation of life in it self?

The explanation of life itself could be as simple as organization. Living matter spreads energy from the sun more efficiently throughout the various trophic levels than inorganic matter does. 

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

Every breath you take is likely to have molecules in it from the very last breath of Caesar. 

And now they taste like anchovies, thank you very much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.