Canadian Protests

MigL

20 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

I was trying to figure out what I might have said that was unclear to you.

22 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Maybe you should stop thinking that it's about you, until it's about you...

That was more for the context of this thread, everyone knows "bad things happen when good people do nothing"  

Most of the time for most of the people, the everyday injustices we all witness, eats away at that good person's ability to filter out where the line is; until one has nothing to eat or hope for, and thats the point when a riot occurs.

If however, an affluent/comfortable/content person decides to protest, that is a good person doing something...

Edited by dimreepr

That was not in the scope of the OP.
You immediately make the assumption that the protest is to address an injustice or a bad thing.
I specifically stated I did not wish to discuss the pipeline, and whether it is good or bad.
I wish to discuss methods of protests, and the appropriateness of harming one group of people in an effort to get another, totally separate group, to change their ways.

All comments, however, are appreciated.

Example.
Everyone wants a homeland for the Palestinians.

Would a protest against Israeli Jews, where illegal acts are committed, be acceptable ?
What are the limits of illegality ?
Is it marching across the street against a red light ?
Is it blockading all Jewish business and ruining their livelihood ? ?
Is it beating up or name-calling all Jews you see ?
Is it killing a few of them ?

All the above actions are illegal.
Where is the line drawn ?
And who gets to decide ?

22 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Then why protest?

Don't ask me, ask the protesters.

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

There is no line, you may as well ask, where is the ball...

It's easy to be 'flip' when you can sit on the fence and not commit to answering a question.

On 2/22/2020 at 10:13 AM, MigL said:

That was not in the scope of the OP.
You immediately make the assumption that the protest is to address an injustice or a bad thing.
I specifically stated I did not wish to discuss the pipeline, and whether it is good or bad.
I wish to discuss methods of protests, and the appropriateness of harming one group of people in an effort to get another, totally separate group, to change their ways.

All comments, however, are appreciated.

Example.
Everyone wants a homeland for the Palestinians.

Would a protest against Israeli Jews, where illegal acts are committed, be acceptable ?
What are the limits of illegality ?
Is it marching across the street against a red light ?
Is it blockading all Jewish business and ruining their livelihood ? ?
Is it beating up or name-calling all Jews you see ?
Is it killing a few of them ?

All the above actions are illegal.
Where is the line drawn ?
And who gets to decide ?

The world is a messy place. In the entire world you would be hard pressed to find two people who agree on all issues. What is worth killing a person for you might be unknown or totally fair to me. The acceptance of protests changes with time, who is in charge, and which way the wind is blowing. Something that is critical today may be a minor annoyance tomorrow, simply because something more critical now has our attention.

We will try to set levels of acceptability for protests, and those levels will change over time. From my perspective I don't get bothered by much. I accept that I will like some things and not like others; that I will be inconvenienced on occasion; that people will disagree with me; and that I may not like the final outcome. Debating generalities may be useful but it is not very practical. All you can really do is decide how you and like minded individuals will react to different situations.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Eiot said:

LINK DELETED

!

Moderator Note

Do not post bare links with no explanation. The rules require you to provide enough information about the content of the link. Members should be able to participate in the discussion without clicking any links or watching any videos