Apep

Bmpbmp1975

I hope this is following rules

i just read about apep and how it is about to blow into a grb.  It talks about being the biggest explosion since the Big Bang.

i was under the impression grb’s have happened before. What makes this one the biggest since Big Bang and also what is the timeframe of it to blow?

also I ask if I broke a rule please explain cause i am not sure why I keep getting my post trashed for rules 

if someone asks where I got my information am I not allowed to post the paragraph and article?

Edited by Bmpbmp1975

6 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

It talks about being the biggest explosion since the Big Bang.

As far as I know Big Bang was not an explosion, why do think that? I don not know what "it" is but if it states that a gamma ray burst is a smaller version if Big Bang then I suggest the source is not very reliable.

Just now, Ghideon said:

As far as I know Big Bang was not an explosion, why do think that? I don not know what "it" is but if it states that a gamma ray burst is a smaller version if Big Bang then I suggest the source is not very reliable.

Sorry the article I read said biggest events since big bang

2 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

Sorry the article I read said biggest events since big bang

Ok. But the article* does not say anything about biggest event since big bang, at least not that I can find. May I suggest that you apply some more care in your citations? If you want a serious science based discussion it is not the best habit to post a link followed by a single, incorrect statement.

*) Maybe this one? I do not consider it to be good article but I found it in another thread https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/is-this-cosmic-sprinkler-surrounding-galaxys-next-gamma-ray-burst

Thank you 

I am confused with these comments

Also, it's likely it won't explode either way for tens or hundreds of thousands of years. In the what-keeps-me-up-at-night category, this object ranks pretty low. That dumb thing I said to a celebrity I met once rates way higher on that list, if that makes you feel better.

I'm actually quite happy this system has been found. If it's dangerous I'd rather know about it than not know. And since it probably isn't dangerous, that just leaves it being one of the most incredible, over-the-top, fascinating and gorgeous objects in the sky.

Edited by Bmpbmp1975

"... In the what-keeps-me-up-at-night category, this object ranks pretty low. ..."

It means stop trying to find things to worry about.

Your doomsday cult should be based on some real, identifiable risk, like climate change.

(Also, why does your profile say your favourite area of science is "astrology"?

That's NOT a science.)

2 minutes ago, pzkpfw said:

Also, why does your profile say your favourite area of science is "astrology"?

That's NOT a science

Because his whole purpose here is to try getting a rise out of people and to replace the attention his mommy never showed him with attention from total strangers on a random Internet board. 

I am asking  questions and trying understand things, if you want to insult my questions then go ahead or just ignore me. Many people here actually answer things I ask. I may not understand right away and ask additional questions. Sorry I am working on getting better but need the opportunity to.

but some people here find the need to just insult no matter what I say or ask. If I offended you in any way to deserve this i apologize it was not my intent 

and also I never really had the chance to get anything from my mom, thank you 

Edited by Bmpbmp1975

9 hours ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

i just read about apep and how it is about to blow into a grb.  It talks about being the biggest explosion since the Big Bang.

The article you read was very sensationalist and over-dramatic. 

Here is a more measured description: https://www.universetoday.com/140619/massive-triple-star-system-creates-this-bizarre-swirling-pinwheel-of-dust-and-it-could-be-the-site-of-a-gamma-ray-burst/

As noted, GRBs are among the most powerful explosions in the Universe. These typically last between a few thousandths of a second and a few hours and release as much energy as the Sun will over the course of its entire life cycle. 

So that is a lot of energy to be released in a short time period. But there are other events (supernovae, black hole mergers, etc) that can release similar or larger amounts of energy.

Some journalists do like to say that any big event is "the biggest ever" - it helps get more clicks and more advertising money.

And there is no reason to think it is "about to blow". Form the article above:

All of this is what led the international team to conclude that within a few hundred thousand years (a mere blink when it comes to cosmological timescales), Apep will undergo a gravitational collapse and unleash as massive GRB. This event will likely be the first GRB to take place in our galaxy, and will last long enough for astronomers to detect it.

As the writer say, not only will we not be around to see it but quite possibly humans won't either ("Whether or not those astronomers will be human is another matter entirely. A lot can happen in a few hundred thousands years.")

9 hours ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

I am confused with these comments

As those comments are just sound like some teenage rando spouting off about something they don't understand, I would just ignore them. Concentrate on the science, instead.

But basically they are saying: "it may sound dramatic but it isn't dangerous and it is scientifically fascinating". Which is not much different from the final sentence of the article above:

Still, finding the progenitor of one of the most energetic events in the Universe in our own cosmic backyard, and knowing that it will one day result in a massive explosion, is quite the accomplishment.

11 hours ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

also I ask if I broke a rule please explain cause i am not sure why I keep getting my post trashed for rules 

if someone asks where I got my information am I not allowed to post the paragraph and article?

!

Moderator Note

Your posts got locked because you AREN’T posting the article and the relevant paragraph. 

14 hours ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

Sorry I am working on getting better but need the opportunity to.

Start from fixing your profile from astrology to Astronomy..

Astronomy is branch of science. Astrology is made up nonsense.

Branch of science that you seem to like the most (at least from posts that you made) is Astrophysics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrophysics

1 hour ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

So in my betelguese post I added the article and paragraph and it was still locked?

!

Moderator Note

You added one sentence that says Betelgeuse is dimming. Not a paragraph. No substantive science to discuss. Insufficient to be a basis for discussion.

Maybe you could focus on discussing the topic, instead of these off-topic sidelights.