New Approach to Anti-gravity [Split from: A New Area Law in General Relativity, questions.]

Wulphstein

Unifying spacetime into QM/QFT has been a major hurdle and trust me in one that has intensively studied the attempts it doesn't get easier to understand lol. I actuality Relativity was far easier to learn than QFT.

QM itself isn't particularly suited for field treatments. One must employ different operators when you apply QFT than QM.

All three treatments can readily explain mass energy time and distance as all three share the same definitions.

Energy ability to perform work 

Mass resistance to inertia change 

Time a unit of measure describing rate of change.

Distance is self explanatory as length of separation.

The three theories simply have different mathematical methodologies of handling each

To provide greater detail I wrote this up a little over a year ago. This is an intro level brief into the Basics of QFT

I am developing a list of fundamental formulas in QFT with a brief description of each to provide some stepping stones to a generalized understanding of QFT treatments and terminology. I invite others to assist in this project. This is an assist not a course. (please describe any new symbols and terms)

QFT can be described as a coupling of SR and QM in the non relativistic regime.

1) Field :A field is a collection of values assigned to geometric coordinates. Those values can be of any nature and does not count as a substance or medium.

2) As we are dealing with QM we need the simple quantum harmonic oscillator

3) Particle: A field excitation

Simple Harmonic Oscillator

[math]\hat{H}=\hbar w(\hat{a}^\dagger\hat{a}+\frac{1}{2})[/math]

the [math]\hat{a}^\dagger[/math] is the creation operator with [math]\hat{a}[/math] being the destruction operator. [math]\hat{H}[/math] is the Hamiltonian operator. The hat accent over each symbol identifies an operator. This formula is of key note as it is applicable to particle creation and annihilation. [math]\hbar[/math] is the Planck constant (also referred to as a quanta of action) more detail later.

Heisenberg Uncertainty principle

[math]\Delta\hat{x}\Delta\hat{p}\ge\frac{\hbar}{2}[/math]

[math]\hat{x}[/math] is the position operator, [math]\hat{p}[/math] is the momentum operator. Their is also uncertainty between energy and time given by

[math]\Delta E\Delta t\ge\frac{\hbar}{2}[/math] please note in the non relativistic regime time is a parameter not an operator.

Physical observable's are operators. in order to be a physical observable you require a minima of a quanta of action defined by

[math] E=\hbar w[/math]

Another key detail from QM is the commutation relations

[math][\hat{x}\hat{p}]=\hat{x}\hat{p}-\hat{p}\hat{x}=i\hbar[/math]

Now in QM we are taught that the symbols [math]\varphi,\psi[/math] are wave-functions however in QFT we use these symbols to denote fields. Fields can create and destroy particles. As such we effectively upgrade these fields to the status of operators. Which must satisfy the commutation relations

[math][\hat{x}\hat{p}]\rightarrow[\hat{\psi}(x,t),\hat{\pi}(y,t)]=i\hbar\delta(x-y)[/math]

[math]\hat{\pi}(y,t)[/math] is another type of field that plays the role of momentum

where x and y are two points in space. The above introduces the notion of causality. If two fields are spatially separated they cannot affect one another.

Now with fields promoted to operators one wiill wonder what happen to the normal operators of QM. In QM position [math]\hat{x}[/math] is an operator with time as a parameter. However in QFT we demote position to a parameter. Momentum remains an operator.

In QFT we often use lessons from classical mechanics to deal with fields in particular the Langrangian

[math]L=T-V[/math]

The Langrangian is important as it leaves the symmetries such as rotation invariant (same for all observers). The classical path taken by a particle is one that minimizes the action

[math]S=\int Ldt[/math]

the range of a force is dictated by the mass of the guage boson (force mediator)

[math]\Delta E=mc^2[/math] along with the uncertainty principle to determine how long the particle can exist

[math]\Delta t=\frac{\hbar}{\Delta E}=\frac{\hbar}{m_oc^2}[/math] please note we are using the rest mass (invariant mass) with c being the speed limit

[math] velocity=\frac{distance}{time}\Rightarrow\Delta{x}=c\Delta t=\frac{c\hbar}{mc^2}=\frac{\hbar}{mc^2}[/math]

from this relation one can see that if the invariant mass (rest mass) m=0 the range of the particle is infinite. Prime example gauge photons for the electromagnetic force.

Lets return to [math]L=T-V[/math] where T is the kinetic energy of the particle moving though a potential V using just one dimension x. In the Euler-Langrange we get the following

[math]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{x}}-\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}=0[/math] the dot is differentiating time.

Consider a particle of mass m with kinetic energy [math]T=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^2[/math] traveling in one dimension x through potential [math]V(x)[/math]

Step 1) Begin by writing down the Langrangian

[math]L=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^2-V{x}[/math]

next is a derivative of L with respect to [math]\dot{x}[/math] we treat this as an independent variable for example [math]\frac{\partial}{\partial\dot{x}}(\dot{x})^2=2\dot{x}[/math] and [math]\frac{\partial}{\partial\dot{x}}V{x}=0[/math] applying this we get

step 2)

[math]\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{x}}=\frac{\partial}{\partial\dot{x}}[\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^2]=m\dot{x}[/math]

which is just mass times velocity. (momentum term)

step 3) derive the time derivative of this momentum term.

[math]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{x}}=\frac{d}{dt}m\dot{x}=\dot{m}\dot{x}+m\ddot{x}=m\ddot{x}[/math] we have mass times acceleration

Step 4) Now differentiate L with respect to x

[math]\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}[\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^2]-V(x)=-\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}[/math]

Step 5) write the equation to describe the dynamical behavior of our system.

[math]\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{x}}-\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}=0[/math][math]\Rightarrow\frac{d}{dt}[/math][math](\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{x}})[/math][math]=\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}\Rightarrow m\ddot{x}=-\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}[/math]

recall from classical physics [math]F=-\nabla V[/math] in 1 dimension this becomes [math]F=-\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}[/math] therefore [math]\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}=-\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}=F[/math] we have [math]m\ddot{x}-\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}=F[/math]

Edited by Mordred

Mordred, it is nice to talk to someone familiar with the physics. 

I want to first state that there are postulates and physics constants that can no longer be treated as unquestionable absolutes, but must be converted to mechanisms.  The invariance of the speed of light, Planck constant,  speed of light,  what is the mechanism of time, mechanism of distance, are some examples. 

I want to do this, and you should to, because we can figure out antigravity (or whatever they call it now, gravity management?).  

I plan to argue that all aspects of physics can be implemented with one virtual particle, that is proven to exist, and under appreciated!  We don't need superstrings,  E8 crystals,  loop networks,  or any of that stuff that can't be proved. 

Parsimony and mechanisms.

The derivation of special relativity is quite beautiful in its geometric simplicity.  It can be explained quite well with light, lasers or photons, but none are needed.  The speed of light is so important that time dilation and length contraction effects occur. It's practically a riddle. What are inertial reference frames made of, that does these things, with real photons, or without?  If we only include things that exist, then inertial frames and spacetime itself must be made of virtual photons. 

The derivation of special relativity is quite beautiful in its geometric simplicity.  It can be explained quite well with light, lasers or photons, but none are needed.  The speed of light is so important that time dilation and length contraction effects occur. It's practically a riddle. What are inertial reference frames made of, that does these things, with real photons, or without?  If we only include things that exist, then inertial frames and spacetime itself must be made of virtual photons. 

Do you remember how atomic clocks use cesium 137 photons to accurately tell time? That's how I got the idea that nature uses frequencies of virtual photons to tell time, and the wavelength states as measuring sticks.

Permitivity and permeability are 2 additional degrees of freedom built into virtual photons as c^2*mu*epsilon =1.

Permitivity and permeability are 2 additional degrees of freedom built into virtual photons as c^2*mu*epsilon =1.

Virtual photons should really be referred to as vacant photons, as in, vacant of energy.  When photons are vacant, then all of its frequency states and wavelength states, each an infinite set, perform tasks of maintaining the spacetime continuum,  and mixing states with other virtual photons.  In this way, the spacetime continuum is an equilibrium of well mixed virtual photon frequency and wavelength states. 

A frequency state is a place to put energy.  A wavelength state is a place to put momentum 

The very existence of virtual photons is closely tied to the phase angle of e^i*phi + 1 = 0.  The virtual photon is configured with the speed of light c, and the Planck constant.  

Standard model particles and their particle fields are built up from the mechanisms made available by virtual photons. A standard model particle, boson or fermion, owes its diameter, progression in time, its mass and momentum to the virtual photons,  which are prerequisites for other particles.

Virtual photons are units of action. 

The wave function solution to quantum mechanics describes the exigent component,  the virtual photon.

The virtual photon/wave function system is equivalent to an inertial reference frame, sufficient to talk about special relativity. 

The non locality of quantum entanglements is handled by virtual photons. 

Gravity is the non local property of large numbers of virtual photons interacting, mixing quantum states into an equilibrium of distance, frequency states (time), momentum and energy states. The overall effect is the curvature of spacetime.  

The stress energy tensor is qualitatively similar to a positive charge. It produces a negative "gravitational charge" in the spacetime continuum.  The result is a thermodynamic equilibrium of momentum quantum states at the macroscopic scale.

Since momentum,  wavelength,  frequency (time) and energy states are all tied together via the virtual photon mechanism,  gravitational redshift, gravitational time dilation and curvature of spacetime are made mechanistically possible and inevitable. 

The theory of antigravity follows.

Rare to find someone who refers to QM as intuitive

5 hours ago, Wulphstein said:

It's practically a riddle. What are inertial reference frames made of, that does these things, with real photons, or without?  If we only include things that exist, then inertial frames and spacetime itself must be made of virtual photons. 

Why does an inertial frame need to be "made of" anything? 

Do you remember how atomic clocks use cesium 137 photons to accurately tell time?

As an aside - not all clocks use cesium. And Cs-137 is chosen because people made that decision. It's not something dictated by nature, such as the invariance of c, or the fine structure constant. 

11 hours ago, Wulphstein said:

Does anyone agree that we should convert our understanding of spacetime into mechanisms of quantum mechanics? Something that explains time, distance,  energy,  mass into a more intuitive system?  

Can you explain what you mean by "intuitive"?

Because the definition I found says "using or based on what one feels to be true even without conscious reasoning; instinctive".

If that is what you have in mind, then I would say "no", we should not convert our understanding into a more intuitive system.

• Strange changed the title to New Approach to Anti-gravity [Split from: A New Area Law in General Relativity, questions.]

I will address more issues later however let's start with one boson for everything. This would violate several conservation laws. Conservation of spin as the only valid spin for Higgs boson is zero, while photon is spin 1.

Graviton will need spin 2.

Other conservation laws are lepton number/ color/ flavor/charge/iso pin/energy momentum. Etc

12 hours ago, zapatos said:

Can you explain what you mean by "intuitive"?

Because the definition I found says "using or based on what one feels to be true even without conscious reasoning; instinctive".

If that is what you have in mind, then I would say "no", we should not convert our understanding into a more intuitive system.

zapatos,

3. Easily understood and simple to use: a web browser with an intuitive interface.

The argument I am making is that if all of nature and physics is made possible by the underappreciated, poorly understood, exigent virtual photon; without it, nothing in physics can exist.

16 hours ago, swansont said:

Why does an inertial frame need to be "made of" anything? 

Because it's "faith" in a definition which isn't good enough to figure out how anti-gravity works.  For that, you will need to get down to the mechanisms that cause time and distance (spacetime) to exist; once you do that, then you can figure out how to induce curvature in spacetime without relying upon stress-energy tensor quantities of mass-energy.

16 hours ago, swansont said:

As an aside - not all clocks use cesium. And Cs-137 is chosen because people made that decision. It's not something dictated by nature, such as the invariance of c, or the fine structure constant. 

I was using the "photons emitted by Cs-137 to make atomic clocks work" as an example of how engineers use frequency to keep time very accurately.  What I infer and suspect is that virtual photons have a whole range of vacant frequency states that allow nature to keep time. Similarly, the vacant wavelength quantum states are very much like a ruler, and in 3 dimensions, like spherical geometry. The derivation of special relativity, which led to time dilation between inertial reference frames, was what caused me to suspect virtual photons were responsible for 3D geometry, length contraction and time dilation.  To recap, virtual photons are capable of keeping time, generating 3D geometry, and functioning as the mechanism needed for space-time to exist.

7 hours ago, Mordred said:

I will address more issues later however let's start with one boson for everything. This would violate several conservation laws. Conservation of spin as the only valid spin for Higgs boson is zero, while photon is spin 1.

Graviton will need spin 2.

Other conservation laws are lepton number/ color/ flavor/charge/iso pin/energy momentum. Etc

I am referencing the Feynman lectures on physics, volume 3 http://bayanbox.ir/view/8431816323796678904/Feynman-lecthre-vol3-quantum.pdf

I think I understand what you're asking.  I am trying to convince you that there is one exigent virtual particle, the virtual photon, that is responsible for the existence of all physics, the standard model, space, time, charge, spin, conservation laws, everything!  If a virtual photon has energy, then it will be a real photon with spin +/- 1 ħ and will be the typical boson that you asked about.  But under different conditions, where the energies are like that during the leptogenesis epoch of the big bang, something happens to the virtual photon and it converts to an electron-positron pair.  The electron has a spin +/- 1/2 ħ.  The conservation laws exist because virtual photons are the mechanism that keeps track of lepton number/ color/ flavor/charge/iso pin/energy momentum, etc.

The conservation laws exist because virtual photons are the mechanism that keeps track of lepton number/ color/ flavor/charge/iso pin/energy momentum, etc.

You mentioned the graviton which is a spin 2 hypothetical particle.  It is spin 2 because it is meant to represent the stress energy tensor,

science forum mordrid 8-2-19.docx

It was my original contention (claim) that the virtual photon is responsible for everything in physics.  And that if it was not detected (after trying to find it), then it doesn’t exist.  Therefore, the graviton doesn’t exist (we’ve tried to find it, but no success).  However, I am going to claim that the quantum entanglement between two photons is the alternative to the graviton.  I will develop the argument over the next few days.

Edited by Wulphstein
Trying to insert math

21 minutes ago, Mordred said:

s the strong force or weak force. So it cannot be a vector quage boson with fields it doesn't interact with.

What if, during the big bang, the extreme energies caused hidden degrees of freedom to be expressed, causing the virtual photon to morph into another kind of boson or fermion?  In other words, I am borrowing an idea from string theory that rolled up dimensions can exist in the virtual photon; and during the big bang, those high energies can change a virtual photon into something different. Is there any logical reason why this can't be true? 

Edited by Wulphstein
clarification

Well string theory employed the graviton as the primary string. On that basis. The reasoning has to do with the theoretical mass as being the heaviest boson on terms of both rest mass and inertial mass. Of the particle family (assuming the graviton exists) it would be the first vector boson to drop out the thermal equilibrium state.

Photons would drop out on electroweak symmetry break after gravity drops out of the super gravity state.

Higgs boson also coincides with electroweak as it gives mass to the weak field particles. It involves photons without giving mass to photons.

!

Moderator Note

Note that the rules require you to present your idea here on the forum, not just link to a document. 

I would also very strongly recommend not downloading a Word document from an unknown source. 

If you need to provide a document to support your argument, it would be better to use PDF

2 minutes ago, Wulphstein said:

I can start a new thread with a PDF, as you request.  But I'd like to keep all of the comments in this thread together.  Can't do it tonight.

!

Moderator Note

Why start a new thread?

8 hours ago, Wulphstein said:

Because it's "faith" in a definition which isn't good enough to figure out how anti-gravity works.  For that, you will need to get down to the mechanisms that cause time and distance (spacetime) to exist; once you do that, then you can figure out how to induce curvature in spacetime without relying upon stress-energy tensor quantities of mass-energy.

Then if anti-gravity relies on it, you need to establish that it's true. What evidence is there that inertial frames are made of anything? What happens to this substance when you move to an accelerating frame? What experiments can we do to verify this?

I was using the "photons emitted by Cs-137 to make atomic clocks work" as an example of how engineers use frequency to keep time very accurately.  What I infer and suspect is that virtual photons have a whole range of vacant frequency states that allow nature to keep time. Similarly, the vacant wavelength quantum states are very much like a ruler, and in 3 dimensions, like spherical geometry. The derivation of special relativity, which led to time dilation between inertial reference frames, was what caused me to suspect virtual photons were responsible for 3D geometry, length contraction and time dilation. 

Other than virtual photons being the intermediary in the electromagnetic interaction, they really don't come into play in timekeeping. You can put a system into a superposition of states with different energies (e.g. the two hyperfine states of Cs) and they oscillate between those two states at the frequency that's associated with the energy difference. The measurements are done with photons that are real, not virtual.

I don't know what a "vacant frequency state" is.

To recap, virtual photons are capable of keeping time, generating 3D geometry, and functioning as the mechanism needed for space-time to exist.

That's what you need to demonstrate, rather than assert.

1 minute ago, Amazing Random said:

There is no such thing as anti-gravity . And gravity is not connected with QM because gravity doesnt exist in the microscopic world . Anti-gravity would require exotic matter and this hasn't been detected and propably never will be .

!

Moderator Note

Do not hijack other people's threads with your own personal theories.

8 hours ago, Strange said:

Do not hijack other people's threads with your own personal theories.

I thought this was my thread.  This is an anti-gravity thread.  And it is my anti-gravity thread.  If that is not true then do we need to change the name of the thread, again?

8 hours ago, Amazing Random said:

There is no such thing as anti-gravity . And gravity is not connected with QM because gravity doesnt exist in the microscopic world . Anti-gravity would require exotic matter and this hasn't been detected and propably never will be . 

Right!  And the longer you keep "not figuring out" what the mechanism is that causes the invariance of the speed of light AND provides a nice mechanism for the wave function solution of quantum mechanics to exist as, the longer we won't have antigravity.  On this thread I have discussed a mechanism.  And I have suggested an experiment that we can perform to test the idea. 

Gravity does exist at the quantum scale.  That's why Stern Gerlach experiments don't float away!  That's why living cells, and quarks and gluons don't just float away.  They exist in a gravity field.  I mean, how are you a moderator and can still make wrong statements about physics?

Also, I am prepared to argue that you don't need exotic matter to make anti-gravity.

Edited by Wulphstein

9 minutes ago, Wulphstein said:

I thought this was my thread.  This is an anti-gravity thread.  And it is my anti-gravity thread.  If that is not true then do we need to change the name of the thread, again?

It is your thread, which is why I told AR not to pollute it with their own stuff. 

15 minutes ago, Strange said:

It is your thread, which is why I told AR not to pollute it with their own stuff. 

My apologies.  I misunderstood.  I have never had a moderator censure an irrational skeptic before, on my behalf.  Thank you.