9 hours ago, FreeWill said:

The Internet of Things can give sentience and the right programming ( social norms based information structure and evaluation) the right reactions

Interesting idea, though quite lacking. I know scores of actual humans who can’t even give the right reactions to social norms and yet they’re still sentient. 

5 hours ago, iNow said:

Interesting idea, though quite lacking. I know scores of actual humans who can’t even give the right reactions to social norms and yet they’re still sentient. 

What is indicating the part of Free Will and Awareness in the decision making process resulting in sentience. 

Edited by FreeWill

2 hours ago, FreeWill said:

What is indicating the part of Free Will and Awareness in the decision making process resulting in sentience. 

Free will is not a necessary component of sentience. I remember an article that argued that worms are sentient. They were chosen as the minimum at which sentience exists.

7 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Free will is not a necessary component of sentience. I remember an article that argued that worms are sentient. They were chosen as the minimum at which sentience exists.

Great idea, but I bet it goes back even farther. Some plants and definitely spore based organisms likely fit the same criteria used to classify the worms as sentient in their study. 

2 hours ago, FreeWill said:

Is this a question or an assertion? Your meaning is unclear. 

10 minutes ago, iNow said:

Great idea, but I bet it goes back even farther. Some plants and definitely spore based organisms likely fit the same criteria used to classify the worms as sentient in their study. 

Yes, on reflection,  probably, there's a continuum of diminishing sentience rather than a distinct cut off point. 

Edited by StringJunky

44 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Yes, on reflection,  probably, there's a continuum of diminishing sentience rather than a distinct cut off point. 

The classical quantum debate’s head rears once more.