Why can't we discuss suicide on this website?

There are a bunch of topics, some related to health (both mental and physical) where we will not have a discussion if it is clear that it involves the health of the poster. We cannot dispense such advice. (Also posts where there is a danger, such as synthesizing drugs or building explosives. Anything that is illegal.)

Once anyone has indicated that they are seeking a medical opinion, and not just espousing an academic interest in the topic, we are probably going to shut it down. Once a person has raised such an issue, trying to rephrase it in a generic sense is not going to be accepted. 

Discussing suicide isn't out of bounds, and we've done it in a clinical manner before. Discussion that seems to promote suicide ("When's the Best Time?") isn't allowed. If you want to discuss your own tendencies, we're going to refer you to a professional, since nobody online is capable of diagnoses about complex health issues. 

Beyond the liability for the site owner, it's a disservice to discuss anyone's ongoing medical problems in a forum like this. We don't want to enable anyone who is trying to avoid professional help for any reason, we don't want to make the situation worse through our own ignorance of the situation, and we don't want anyone here responsible for a well-intended remark to be taken the wrong way by someone who is temporarily emotionally unstable.

This is NOT something internet forums will ever be good at. The detachment prevalent in online posting doesn't seem to dovetail well with coping mechanisms for depression. We're afraid of making the situation worse, so we defer to those in a professional setting designed to offer the best, most meaningful help.

1 minute ago, studiot said:

Can I just say to folks that constantly slapping red points on the OP is more likely to aggravate matters.

The OP should have avoided the obvious strawman logic in his title. I'm sure that's what prompted the bad rep. 

That said, I'm not a fan of negative reputation on an opening post in general. Sometimes though, when someone is opening a ton of similar threads, or they're obviously trying to thwart some staff action, or they use blatantly poor reasoning or fallacies in their opening argument, I can see why people do it.

"There are no bad questions" is a fantasy, unfortunately. Intent seems to be key.