DARK0717

Is there a way to convert the earth’s magnetic field into usable electricity?

Recommended Posts

What the title says.

im not talking about magnetic induction but an actual converter like a funnel. One end sucks in magnetic field and the other end spits out usable electricity?

I asked this question because, since magnetism and electricity “come together”, meaning that magnetic fields must/should contain electricity.

I visualize it as magnetism cages electricity in a spiral/helix fashion, to convert that to usable elec. maybe reverse it so that the elec cages the magnetism.

(Random)

Do u guys know what the mag fields really are? What im saying is instead of a field going from north to south, north has an entirely separate field in a clockwise toroid and the south is counterclockwise. Ive observed this with a magnetic sheet and not with iron dust because iron dust is simply magnetized thats why it follows the toroid shape but since the dust has its own N and S, it just forms an oval bridging north if the magnet to the south.

Edited by DARK0717

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DARK0717 said:

I asked this question because, since magnetism and electricity “come together”, meaning that magnetic fields must/should contain electricity.

A magnetic field does not "contain" electricity. A magnetic field is generated by a changing electric current. An electric current is generated by a changing magnetic field. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/farlaw.html

If you were to move a conductor through the Earth's magnetic field, you could generate a tiny voltage. But the Earth's magnetic field is very weak so it is not a practical way of generating electricity.

Quote

Do u guys know what the mag fields really are? What im saying is instead of a field going from north to south, north has an entirely separate field in a clockwise toroid and the sout is counterclockwise. Ive observed this with a magnetic sheet and not with iron dust because iron dust is simply magnetized thats why it follows the toroid shape but since the dust has its own N and S, it just forms an oval bridging north if the magnet to the south.

A magnetic field always starts and ends at the poles. That is why you can never get an isolated north pole. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/maxeq2.html#c2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Strange said:

A magnetic field does not "contain" electricity. A magnetic field is generated by a changing electric current. An electric current is generated by a changing magnetic field. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/farlaw.html

If you were to move a conductor through the Earth's magnetic field, you could generate a tiny voltage. But the Earth's magnetic field is very weak so it is not a practical way of generating electricity.

A magnetic field always starts and ends at the poles. That is why you can never get an isolated north pole. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/maxeq2.html#c2

Well, if u change the field then where does the electricity come from? I mean just a simple coil and a magnet can generate electricity. If it just flows around the closed loop then why not just do that on every electronic device?

I know about energy loss so dont explain it further to me XD

 

Have u tried to place a magnetic sheet on top of a magnet on its side, it shows 2 separate ovals, one for north and one for south?

 

Yes u can never get an isolated north, no idea why but if u split the magnet, ull just create another toroid for either north or south. What im saying is traditional textbook mag field visualization is probably wrong since not much big companies put an effort to further explore the “field” of magnetism than what it is now. (sorry for the pun XD)

(actually, i know why u get another field if u cut a magnet, nvm XD)

Edited by DARK0717

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are using it every day to protect yourself from harmful charged particles coming from space.

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, studiot said:

You are using it every day to protect yourself from harmful charged particles coming from space.

 

:)

XD. Now who says the earths magnetic field is “weak”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DARK0717 said:

XD. Now who says the earths magnetic field is “weak”

It also fills a large volume; it is diffuse.

So these particles travel a long way before they are fully deflected.

:)

Edited by studiot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, studiot said:

It also fills a large volume; it is diffuse.

So these particles travel a long way before they are fully deflected.

:)

Oh, i never knew that. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=2bskXOLSA4KelwT3v4igBQ&q=van+allen+belts&oq=Van+Allen+belts&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l10.164.3468..5318...0.0..0.764.4320.4j5j0j1j2j1j2......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0i10.0qOpUIXkqXw

 

:)

 

When I was a nipper,

Tehre was a SciFi series on TV called "The Big Pull"

about the first manned rocket to go beyond the Van Allen Belts.

It was very scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DARK0717 said:

Well, if u change the field then where does the electricity come from? I mean just a simple coil and a magnet can generate electricity. If it just flows around the closed loop then why not just do that on every electronic device?

You need either a moving coil or a moving agent to generate electricity. There are very low power devices that generate their own power the way (for example, some electronic watches charge the batteries from the movement of the wearer's arm).

3 hours ago, DARK0717 said:

Have u tried to place a magnetic sheet

What is a magnetic sheet?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/12/2018 at 10:27 PM, Strange said:

You need either a moving coil or a moving agent to generate electricity. There are very low power devices that generate their own power the way (for example, some electronic watches charge the batteries from the movement of the wearer's arm).

What is a magnetic sheet?

 

1. That's free energy right there

2. imagine a bond paper, but its painted with magnetic dust or something similar to that idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DARK0717 said:

1. That's free energy right there

2. imagine a bond paper, but its painted with magnetic dust or something similar to that idea.

 

no such thing as a free lunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

no such thing as a free lunch.

lol ofcourse, I used the word "free" because u get the watch running without buying batteries for replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DARK0717 said:

lol ofcourse, I used the word "free" because u get the watch running without buying batteries for replacement.

you still have to eat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

you still have to eat

don't make this much broader than what I originated the topic with. If u wanna go for it, heres my answer. Our solar system is technically and long term perpetual system specifically the earth and the sun, continuous cycle of feeding and being fed and so on so the cycle and everything is pretty much free for me. Its just the idea of people having to pay is what makes free, paid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27.12.2018 at 12:05 PM, DARK0717 said:

i'm not talking about magnetic induction but an actual converter like a funnel. One end sucks in magnetic field and the other end spits out usable electricity?

Do you realize how many electrons flow in wire in "usable electricity" circuit.. ?

If you have current 1 Ampere, voltage 5 Volts, there is 6.2415*10^18 electrons flowing in each second. But it'll give enough electric power for just a single very weak 5 Watts LED lamp..

On 27.12.2018 at 12:15 PM, DARK0717 said:

Well, if u change the field then where does the electricity come from? I mean just a simple coil and a magnet can generate electricity.

Movement of magnet, back and forth, in e.g. DC electric generator, or alternator, is causing movement of electrons in wire. Moving electrons are creating external magnetic field around wire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DARK0717 said:

1. That's free energy right there

 

2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

no such thing as a free lunch.

 

That gentlemen is the paradox of life.

Thermodynamics drives towards the reduction of energy density and energy differences. It drives towards spreading energy out further and further.
Life needs to increase that density, gathering energy together. The more complicated the life the greater the need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DARK0717 said:

1. That's free energy right there

For certain definitions of "free". This is certainly energy you don't have to pay for (or, at least, it comes from your food, which you were probably going to eat anyway!) The problem is that "free energy" is often used to mean getting energy from nothing at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding free energy. I have a theory that can drag a small electric charge from gravity. But those small charges can be repeated endlessly, creating large charges.

I don't have the math to prove it's possible, or the means to test it, so the idea will probably die with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, QuantumT said:

I don't have the math to prove it's possible, or the means to test it, so the idea will probably die with me.

In other words, you don't have an idea at all.

17 hours ago, QuantumT said:

I have a theory that can drag a small electric charge from gravity. But those small charges can be repeated endlessly, creating large charges.

That makes zero sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Strange said:

In other words, you don't have an idea at all.

I have the "how to do it", but not the means.

Quote

That makes zero sense.

Poor explanation, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, QuantumT said:

I have the "how to do it", but not the means.

So, how do you do it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Strange said:

So, how do you do it?

The idea is to exploit the pressure in the deepest parts of the oceans with (very) long, thin pipes, to create an ongoing circulation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, QuantumT said:

The idea is to exploit the pressure in the deepest parts of the oceans with (very) long, thin pipes, to create an ongoing circulation.

How would you do that? What power source is going to create the circulation? And how do you extract energy from it? And why would you get more energy out than you put in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Strange said:

How would you do that? What power source is going to create the circulation?

Gravity.

And yes, I know "it sounds crazy"....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, QuantumT said:

Gravity.

Gravity pulls things down. So what is driving the circulation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now