The ultimate European Union expansion

Moreno

On 12/20/2018 at 10:41 AM, Silvestru said:

It's a lot like saying Pepsi should just join Coca Cola. PoLatm  would then have monopol on the fizzy drink industry and it would be beneficial for both sides.

The thought is really nice though.

(I know they used to be one company long time ago. Please don't bring that up as a counterargument haha)

PoLa Bear Cola...I think you got something there...

image.png.7a72231cc78dbf2a47f3451452237946.png

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 2:13 PM, Kennytek00 said:

So you're suggesting to allow Russia into NATO, which was designed mainly for North Atlantic countries (I don't know if Russia qualifies as a North Atlantic country, and if it is this makes perfect sense), but there is also SEATO (South East Asian Treaty Organisation) that could also be a viable option. I do not know if SEATO has been as successful as NATO, but it could also be an option. My main question though is what should be done with the current land the Russians have taken from Ukraine, because I highly doubt they will willingly give up land that gives them access to warm water ports. It will harm their economy, and limit their trading options again. Yet at the same time allowing the Russians to keep the land sets a precedence very similar to what was done with Germany prior to World War II, so only telling them to not do something and then not follow through with what was said allows them to continuously keep toeing the line and getting away with more. This is quite obviously a case of  where if you give the Russians an inch, they'll take a mile. So if you could suggest a method of where both parties benefit, without causing a war, that would help with clarification.

Russia is more North Atlantic then Greece or Turkey...

On 12/22/2018 at 4:21 AM, Raider5678 said:

Defensive or offensive, I categorized that as having a big stick, which seemed to relate to the topic if my understanding of it is correct.

which gets more done, a big stick or a hearty handshake?

which would you prefer?

1 hour ago, Nod2003 said:

Russia is more North Atlantic then Greece or Turkey...

An alliance has little to do with geography on a global scale...

Which gets more done, a big stick or a hearty handshake with Donald Trump?

A lot of discussion of big sticks in this thread, ignoring the financially biggest and most lethal.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

Country       Spending ($Billion)

World total        1,739

United States   610.0

People's Republic of China 228.0

Saudi Arabia    69.4

Russia              66.3

A perhaps apocryphal quote by my grandfather from a German during WW2.

"When the British planes come over, we duck; when the German planes come over, you duck; when the American planes come over we all duck."

Plus ca change....

Edited by Carrock

15 hours ago, Raider5678 said:

What does it matter?

The question wasn't about what I want or what is more effective. 

of course it matters, who do you think built the United Federation of Planets?

15 hours ago, Carrock said:

Which gets more done, a big stick or a hearty handshake with Donald Trump?

A lot of discussion of big sticks in this thread, ignoring the financially biggest and most lethal.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

Country       Spending ($Billion)

World total        1,739

United States   610.0

People's Republic of China 228.0

Saudi Arabia    69.4

Russia              66.3

A perhaps apocryphal quote by my grandfather from a German during WW2.

"When the British planes come over, we duck; when the German planes come over, you duck; when the American planes come over we all duck."

Plus ca change....

allies need a common enemy’ and it ain’t money, not when we've pissed off the planet...

pun not intended.;)

Edited by dimreepr

• 6 months later...
On 8/1/2019 at 8:26 PM, Moreno said:

Where do you think European politics is heading in general?

Depending on area. In ecology going for zero-emission is good direction..

The problem is the rest of world must do the same.

On 8/1/2019 at 8:26 PM, Moreno said:

Will it move much to the "right" or contrary to the "left" or some other surprising variants are possible?  

Hard to tell who is from "right" and who is from "left" as they blended long time ago... Strawberry shake is not blended so well as left and right in politics! You must be more clear what you meant.

John Cuthber, in one of his replies to me, years ago, said his definition of words "conservative" and "liberal". i.e. that conservatives want to decrease government's expenditures (and decrease taxes), and liberals want to increase government's expenditures (and increase taxes). I thought: WOW!

I always thought that by "conservative", people on this forum meant somebody who is: religious, who is against LGBT rights, who is against immigrants, etc. etc.

and "liberal" meant, somebody accepting LGBT rights, allowing and accepting multi-culture, especially helping refuges from countries which need help.

So, the same word, said by two different persons from two different (culture) countries might mean something else to them.. (not big surprise!)

I only know what joins politicians from any party: they want to sustain their seat in the next election. Regardless whether they have good program for people, or some crap made up by PR team..