Facebook Tools Abuse

Phi for All

4 hours ago, koti said:

As I wrote in one of my previous posts, I think if the big players get pushed to the wall too much they will move their boxes to Asia which will cause the problem to be even more unsolvable and more serious. It looks like its beginning to happen. Would you preffer your data being kept on servers in Oregon or in a bunker in Makau ?

I get the feeling you think FB is, rather than "too big to fail", it's "too big to regulate"? Is this right?

6 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

You seem to have them confused...

Not really, they’re obviously interconnected and one is hard to regulate with implications coming from plausible regulations (which I already layed out) and the other is very difficult to regulate if not impossible. And I do think it matters in which country FB and other big players are conforming to the law.

• 1 year later...

This is an older thread, but the topic is current and this seems to fit. A surprisingly great speech from an even more surprising source.

Well worth the 20 minutes to watch if you’re at all interested in how the world at large is being twisted by people with malarious intent. 

A summary is also available here:  https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/22/watch-sacha-baron-cohen-skewer-zuckerbergs-twisted-logic-on-hate-speech-and-fakes/

“Voltaire was right. Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities — and social media lets authoritarians push absurdities to billions of people,” he added.

I certainly agree with his concerns. I can't say I agree with how he feels things should be controlled. He mentions "what if Goebbels" had these platforms back in the thirties a few times. Well, what if Goebbels controlled these platforms using the algorithms or methods he suggests?

righteous indignation is the start and witch burnings is the result.

27 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

I certainly agree with his concerns. I can't say I agree with how he feels things should be controlled. He mentions "what if Goebbels" had these platforms back in the thirties a few times. Well, what if Goebbels controlled these platforms using the algorithms or methods he suggests?

I'd say Goebbels would burn many witches.