Mars

Itoero

There are many private groups gearing up for colonization. Personally, I don't want any private group off-planet that doesn't represent Earth as a whole. I think we need to be very thoughtful about who we allow access to system resources. 

What makes this group special? Their $6B budget isn't very inspiring, and I assume it means they've removed much of the redundant system architecture that gave NASA so much flexibility when things inevitably went wrong. Also, they've claimed they'll be using SpaceX to send certain equipment, but they don't show up on SpaceX's launch schedule, and as far as I know, they have no contracts with them. These kinds of things are planned so many years in advance, I don't see how Mars One can be taken seriously. I would not invest.

17 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

There are many private groups gearing up for colonization. Personally, I don't want any private group off-planet that doesn't represent Earth as a whole. I think we need to be very thoughtful about who we allow access to system resources. 

What makes this group special? Their $6B budget isn't very inspiring, and I assume it means they've removed much of the redundant system architecture that gave NASA so much flexibility when things inevitably went wrong. Also, they've claimed they'll be using SpaceX to send certain equipment, but they don't show up on SpaceX's launch schedule, and as far as I know, they have no contracts with them. These kinds of things are planned so many years in advance, I don't see how Mars One can be taken seriously. I would not invest.

That's peanuts for an exercise like that.

Just now, Itoero said:

The atmosphere of Mars contains a lot of Co2. Is it possible perhaps to create algae that feed on CO2 and form O2?

Mars has lots of possibilities as a colony planet. I though you were talking about the chances of the specific group you referred to in the OP. I don't think they're going to make it.

3 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Mars has lots of possibilities as a colony planet. I though you were talking about the chances of the specific group you referred to in the OP. I don't think they're going to make it.

I did but you're probably correct it will not work.

I just discovered  that Terraforming of Mars is a very interesting subject.

5 hours ago, Itoero said:

Mars One is a small private Dutch organization that proposed in 2012 to land the first humans on Mars and leave them there to establish a permanent human colony in the coming decades.

Are there people on this forum going to Mars?

https://www.mars-one.com/

I believe if I was in some different situation to what I am in now, that the possibility of me volunteering for such a mission would be likely. Whether I would be selected is another matter.

I also greatly admire people such as Elon Musk, Bas Lansdorp and those involved in Mars One, the 100 Year Star Ship Company, Tau Zero Foundation are a few I am familiar with. The latter two have as their founders, reasonably knowledgable people such as ex NASA Astronaut and physician Mae Jamison, and Marc Millis, former head of NASA's breakthrough propulsion lab. The latter two again seem to be more attuned in experimenting and evaluating any break through physics concepts that could take us to the stars, rather then any permanent settlement on Mars. But I'm equally sure both those would be gladly involved if all critical concepts were taken onboard and a reasonable sound chance of success was envisaged with regards to Mars.

They may yet all fail but at least they appear to be promoting humanity as a true space faring species. I enjoy their optimism and their realisation that what they are proposing to undertake, is dangerous in risky in the extreme. One thing for certain, if we don't try, we 100% don't succeed. 

Edited by beecee