Translation help? (Japanese or Chinese print)

Endy0816

Just now, Prometheus said:

I thought the characters for 'Japanese' were 日本人. Do they use other characters for themselves?

You are correct. They have spelt it out phonetically (Nippon人). I'm not sure why.

5 hours ago, Strange said:

It is Japanese.

The first headline is "Do the Japanese like life insurance?"

lol, okay. At least know the location.

Any ideas on the second image with the three men?

Found it in something at least 22 years old, so something of a happy accidental time capsule.

Edited by Endy0816

7 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

Any ideas on the second image with the three men?

It is something about American-Vietnamese relations - Schultz (US Secretary of State) meeting ASEAN members - my Japanese is too rusty (and always found newspapers hard to read) to get much more out if it.

20 hours ago, Prometheus said:

I thought the characters for 'Japanese' were 日本人. Do they use other characters for themselves?

If you will put "日本人" to Google Translate, it shows below it "Nihonjin".

After swapping languages back-and-forth (click arrows twice), it changes to "日本の", and shows below "Nihon no".

Then you can google for "Nihonjin" and ""Nihon no", to get examples of usage.

e.g.

"Are wa Nihon no kuruma desu." "That is a Japanese car."

"Anata wa nihonjin desu ka?" "Are you a japanese person?"

Edited by Sensei

On 3.06.2018 at 12:08 AM, Prometheus said:

BTW, Japanese (language) is yet another word:

日本語 

"Nihongo"

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just do the headlines. (Probably a few minor errors though)

Pic One:

ニッポン人は生保が好き?Do Japanese like life insurance? (They spelt this Nippon, not Nihon, because Nippon has a more nationalistic tone to it, eg: We Japanese)
1世帯2千万円越す。Each household is covered by more than 20,000,000 yen

石油製品輸入拡大をガソリン含め9月に increase in petroleum products including gasoline in September

関税下げ更に further decease in tarrifs

ボンネットバンに本田が再進出 Honda reintroduces the Bonnet Van

Pic Two:

米ベトナム関係 Vietnam related
一括解決方式  One Swoop Solution policy. (About US-Vietnamese relations, US soldiers, Cambodia)

Pic Three:

90日間保存できます It can be kept for 90 days (food preservation)

液晶テレビがついてます With attached liquid crystal television (Matsushita's intercom with TV)

Pic Four

精神汚染批判主導 The first word is missing from this sentence but I think its about "criticizing the mentally ill leadership"
鄧宣伝部長を解任 Deng is dismissed from the CCPPD (I think this isn't Deng Xiaoping but probably Deng Liqun)
中国共産党 Chinese Communist Party

オーストラリアのワイン。スキャンダル Australian Wine scandel.

Edited by NNY

On 6/3/2018 at 6:19 AM, Strange said:

It is something about American-Vietnamese relations - Schultz (US Secretary of State) meeting ASEAN members - my Japanese is too rusty (and always found newspapers hard to read) to get much more out if it.

Oh cool, I thought that looked like an old gov ID but wasn't sure. Really helps to place it historically.

On 6/17/2018 at 2:19 AM, NNY said:

I'll just do the headlines. (Probably a few minor errors though)

Pic One:

ニッポン人は生保が好き?Do Japanese like life insurance? (They spelt this Nippon, not Nihon, because Nippon has a more nationalistic tone to it, eg: We Japanese)
1世帯2千万円越す。Each household is covered by more than 20,000,000 yen

石油製品輸入拡大をガソリン含め9月に increase in petroleum products including gasoline in September

関税下げ更に further decease in tarrifs

ボンネットバンに本田が再進出 Honda reintroduces the Bonnet Van

Pic Two:

米ベトナム関係 Vietnam related
一括解決方式  One Swoop Solution policy. (About US-Vietnamese relations, US soldiers, Cambodia)

Pic Three:

90日間保存できます It can be kept for 90 days (food preservation)

液晶テレビがついてます With attached liquid crystal television (Matsushita's intercom with TV)

Pic Four

精神汚染批判主導 The first word is missing from this sentence but I think its about "criticizing the mentally ill leadership"
鄧宣伝部長を解任 Deng is dismissed from the CCPPD (I think this isn't Deng Xiaoping but probably Deng Liqun)
中国共産党 Chinese Communist Party

オーストラリアのワイン。スキャンダル Australian Wine scandel.

Appreciate you translating the titles. Was exactly what I was hoping for here! :)

Edited by Endy0816