Do I need soup?

2 hours ago, Tanya said:

In country where I’m living people say to their children that they should eat soup or they get gastritis, peptic ulcer or other disease. Does it true?

Parents will tell their children lots of things to make them behave the way they want. I still eat up everything on my plate to ensure the weather's going to be agreeable. Might I ask where you are from?

1 minute ago, YaDinghus said:

Parents will tell their children lots of things to make them behave the way they want. I still eat up everything on my plate to ensure the weather's going to be agreeable. Might I ask where you are from?

Ukraine 

2 minutes ago, YaDinghus said:

Ласкаво просимо!

I hope that's right. Google Translator is still not particularly reliable

If you translated “welcome” then all is ok

Edited by Tanya

My wife's father used to joke that Slavic culture is pessimistic by design. He was told all kinds of dire things would happen if he didn't do X. When he was "moved" to Germany during WWII, it was the first time he was exposed to optimism. "If you eat this good soup, you'll grow up big and strong!" I'd like to think being positive is more effective, but I honestly can't say for sure.

1 minute ago, Phi for All said:

My wife's father used to joke that Slavic culture is pessimistic by design. He was told all kinds of dire things would happen if he didn't do X. When he was "moved" to Germany during WWII, it was the first time he was exposed to optimism. "If you eat this good soup, you'll grow up big and strong!" I'd like to think being positive is more effective, but I honestly can't say for sure.

Omg that’s so true

Do I need soup?

That depends on what you are eating besides of soup. Whether it's complete source of vegetables and fruits (and produced by them nutrients).

2 hours ago, Tanya said:

In country where I’m living people say to their children that they should eat soup or they get gastritis, peptic ulcer or other disease. Does it true?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicobacter_pylori

"Helicobacter pylori, previously known as Campylobacter pylori, is a gram-negative, microaerophilic bacterium usually found in the stomach. It was identified in 1982 by Australian scientists Barry Marshall and Robin Warren, who found that it was present in a person with chronic gastritis and gastric ulcers, conditions not previously believed to have a microbial cause. It is also linked to the development of duodenal ulcers and stomach cancer. However, over 80% of individuals infected with the bacterium are asymptomatic, and it may play an important role in the natural stomach ecology.[7]

More than 50% of the world's population have H. pylori in their upper gastrointestinal tract.[6] Infection is more common in developing countries than Western countries.[4] H. pylori's helical shape (from which the genus name derives) is thought to have evolved to penetrate the mucoid lining of the stomach.[8][9]"

If you will search for articles about diets when somebody is infected by Helicobacter pylori bacteria, you can get conclusion (simplification) that certain soups might help.

e.g.

"Diet principles for Helicobacter pylori infection

People struggling with H. pylori should regularly eat meals. Under no circumstances can you let the feeling of hunger (an empty stomach produces large amounts of hydrochloric acid), or for over-eating, which also results in overproduction of irritating stomach acid. Therefore, breaks between meals should be 2-3 hours.

You should eat min. 4-6 small meals a day, so as not to burden the stomach. Meals should be eaten slowly, thoroughly chewing each bite (preferably all meals should be well cooked and shredded, preferably rubbed). The first meal should be eaten shortly after waking up, and the last one should be eaten shortly after 2-3 hours before bedtime. It is best to have the meals cooked in water and steaming, stewed without frying and baked in foil.

You should take 2-3 l of fluids during the day, preferably between meals. Do not drink during meals and half an hour before and an hour after eating (in the latter case, this may cause the back of the stomach contents into the esophagus). You can drink not only mineral water, but also green tea (but only weak) or herbal teas (from chamomile and St. John's wort) and cereal milk with milk, as well as vegetable soups. It is recommended that the drinks have a moderate temperature." (Translated by Google)

Ukrainian recipe for red beet soup contains raw minced garlic and onions, which can help in killing the infection.

54 minutes ago, Sensei said:

(preferably all meals should be well cooked and shredded, preferably rubbed).

I know they meant "meats" instead of "meals", but I wonder what they want you to rub into it. I use dry rub herbs and spices on many meats, but I wonder if they mean something else? Or is this a translation problem?

3 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I know they meant "meats" instead of "meals", but I wonder what they want you to rub into it. I use dry rub herbs and spices on many meats, but I wonder if they mean something else? Or is this a translation problem?

No, certainly not "meats". They used word which is every time translated by Google directly to "meals", but I think even better alternative word would be "ingredients". e.g. "preferably the all ingredients be well cooked and shredded, preferably rubbed". Imagine soup with cooked vegetables which is at the end put to blender for a few seconds. You will get cream (not really nice looking! typically rotten green color), which is much easier to digest.

Something like https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cream+blended+soup

2 minutes ago, Sensei said:

No, certainly not "meats". They used word which is every time translated by Google directly to "meals", but I think even better alternative word would be "ingredients". e.g. "preferably the all ingredients be well cooked and shredded, preferably rubbed". Imagine soup with cooked vegetables which is at the end put to blender for a few seconds. You will get cream (not really nice looking! typically rotten green color), which is much easier to digest.

Something like https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cream+blended+soup

What is being "rubbed"? I define rubbing as massaging an oil or powder into the skin of something.

The way my Mrs makes "soup" is an entire meal unto itself....Osso Buco, onions, tomatoes, potato, carrot, pumpkin with garlic bread. My motto on tucker in general, is all things in moderation. [even the very occasional Big Mac! :)]

48 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

What is being "rubbed"? I define rubbing as massaging an oil or powder into the skin of something.

Google Translate imperfections.. Same word has couple meanings, and Google Translate cannot find appropriate one from the context.. Basically they meant in the article about using grater or blender.

"preferably the all ingredients be well cooked and shredded, preferably grated or blended" sounds better? :)

Edited by Sensei

Just now, Sensei said:

Google Translate imperfections.. Same word has couple meanings, and Google Translate cannot find appropriate one from the context.. Basically they meant in the article about using grater.

"preferably the all ingredients be well cooked and shredded, preferably grated or blended" sounds better? :)

I'm uninterested in making it sound better.  I understand well cooked. It seems like the article claims all food should be fairly well chopped up into small pieces before cooking. I'm not sure about that being "preferable". Are they assuming people don't chew enough on average? Why is grating or even blending food so smoothly preferable to shredding it? 

1 minute ago, Phi for All said:

I'm uninterested in making it sound better.  I understand well cooked. It seems like the article claims all food should be fairly well chopped up into small pieces before cooking. I'm not sure about that being "preferable". Are they assuming people don't chew enough on average? Why is grating or even blending food so smoothly preferable to shredding it? 

That was article for ill people, who have stomach problems like peptic ulcer disease.. infected by Helicobacter pylori.

I’m a huge fan of good soup. Such an easy way to extract maximum value from ingredients and get vitamins in a way that tastes amazing. 

My wife makes fun of me, but practically every time I’m home alone and get the house to myself when she visits her parents for a few days, I make homemade soup. 

Roaster chicken. Pull every last bit of meat from the bones, especially the delicious dark bits around the spine. Put the bones and tendons and a few scraps of skin into a pressure cooker with a few chopped carrots, onions, and celery. Sauté with some salt before covering with water and sealing. Delicious gelatinous stock in 60 minutes. 

Strain, and add to a larger pot with lots more carrots, onions, and celery. Add the chicken, a few bay leaves and diced tomatoes (tomato paste if you want it richer). Let it cook for a few hours and keep adding water as it evaporates and condenses. Add a bunch of frozen mixed vegetables, long grain (wild mixed grains, if possible) rice, and cook until rice is done. 

Ladel into bowl with a knob of butter. Holy hell, it’s so good, so nourishing, and is so making my mouth water and stomach growl right now! Probably one of my favorite things to eat on the whole planet and eith basically only 4 ingredients. 

Edited by iNow

1 hour ago, Sensei said:

That was article for ill people, who have stomach problems like peptic ulcer disease.. infected by Helicobacter pylori.

Thanks, Sensei, that's the part I'd forgotten (what with all the rubbing, I guess), and it wasn't making sense. My bad. 

8 hours ago, iNow said:

I’m a huge fan of good soup. Such an easy way to extract maximum value from ingredients and get vitamins in a way that tastes amazing. 

Did you try making red beetroots sour soup.. ? Put cleaned and peeled red beetroots to glass jar, fill to maximum level, by cooked and cooled water with a 1-2 salt spoons per L (preferably sea salt), with garlic, sliced onions, dried dill (fennel), whole pepper, dried bay leafs, and few other whole spices. Leave it undercover for a few days, maybe a week. From time to time open cover to release gases. After that you will have tasty pickled beetroots, with red looking liquid, don't throw it away. It's perfect for making red beetroots sour soups. It can be also drink as-is. You will have there also pickled garlic and pickled onions.

Edited by Sensei