Why does it took longer time to cook rice Porridge than rice?

cheetaman

36 minutes ago, Strange said:

Porridge is softer/moister than rice. So it is easier for water to penetrate and it doesn't need as much water/time to become soft. (I guess.)

I would also imagine rice meant for porridge isn't the best quality, not full grains but more broken bits, which would cook more quickly and also lend a smoother texture for porridge.

The main question should be whether you're comparing e.g. 200 g of rice vs 200 g of rice used to make rice Porridge (so total mass is ~ 800 g), or you're comparing 200 g rice vs 200 g of ready rice Porridge (which can have just 50 g of rice).

According to rice Porridge recipe from the Internet there is needed 1:2:1 parts of rice/water/milk (some of it will vaporize) to make rice Porridge. (milk can contain fat influencing time needed to heat it)

Rice in rice Porridge is just ~ 25% of total mass of ingredients.

Edited by Sensei

Maybe I am thinking about the wrong dish, but what I consider to be rice porridge is essentially overcooked rice with more liquid. It only cooks faster if certain high-glutinous types of rice are used.

16 minutes ago, HB of CJ said:

Porridge is seven days in the pot.

Pease porridge takes nine, I've heard since I was a kid.

Also, you use less water to steam rice by itself, and you don't remove the lid. More water and stirring the open pot with porridge. The cooking style is different, thus the timing is different.

3 hours ago, Phi for All said:

I would also imagine rice meant for porridge isn't the best quality, not full grains but more broken bits, which would cook more quickly and also lend a smoother texture for porridge.

I completely missed the fact it was rice porridge (congee) - I thought the question was about porridge porridge (oatmeal). But that would have been the wrong way round as well. Don't know what I was thinking.

In which case, it seems obvious that rice porridge takes longer to cook because it is basically overcooked rice. The longer cooking time (and extra water) is pretty much the definition of congee. (That and the fish and fried garlic and chilli...)