Nuclear physics

fredreload

Theoretical scenario, a nuclear missile is flying over to U.S that will be detonated in 10 minutes. You have 10 minutes to disarm it and or shelter yourself. God bless

P.S Every nuclear warhead has a 0.1% chance to turn earth into a sun

I call disable it with laser and containment field

Red wire, blue wire

11 minutes ago, fredreload said:

Theoretical scenario, a nuclear missile is flying over to U.S that will be detonated in 10 minutes. You have 10 minutes to disarm it and or shelter yourself. God bless

Since I don't live in the US this particular missile is not my direct problem. If I were living in the US I would have no means of disarming it, so I would seek shelter.

13 minutes ago, fredreload said:

I assume P,.S. is short for Pure Shit. If you seriously mean that, please provide valid citations, or a very detailed argument to supporrt the assertion.

15 minutes ago, fredreload said:

I call disable it with laser and containment field

Containment field? Right. Sure.

16 minutes ago, fredreload said:

Red wire, blue wire

I think, overall, you have your wires crossed.

1 hour ago, fredreload said:

!

Moderator Note

And? What physics is it you aim to discuss?

1 hour ago, fredreload said:

Citation needed

10 hours ago, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

And? What physics is it you aim to discuss?

Citation needed

A comparison between nuclear bomb explosion temperature and fusion temperature? I dunno. This came from my high school Physics teacher by mouth, I assure you he is quite brilliant

10 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Fred must be having a bad day. It happens.

I am just being cautious. I mean it's the nuclear age :D.

Edited by fredreload

12 hours ago, fredreload said:

Nuclear weapon, using Uranium-235 or Plutonium, are examples of nuclear fission.

In the Sun there is nuclear fusion.

Typically in human induced fission, nucleus is bombarded by free neutrons and it is decaying to smaller parts (isotopes with smaller quantity of protons and neutrons).

In fusion, two or more nuclei are creating heavier isotope.

Edited by Sensei

4 hours ago, fredreload said:

A comparison between nuclear bomb explosion temperature and fusion temperature? I dunno. This came from my high school Physics teacher by mouth, I assure you he is quite brilliant

A temperature comparison is not what you claimed, though. You said there was a chance the earth would turn into a sun.

4 hours ago, fredreload said:

Maybe he is thinking of the myth that the atom bomb could have ignited the atmosphere.

When the atom bomb was being developed, Teller did point out that a nuclear chain reaction was possible between nitrogen atoms (and there is a lot of nitrogen in the atmosphere). Bethe quickly calculated that the possibility of this happening was so low it wasn't a risk.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/bethe-teller-trinity-and-the-end-of-earth/

4 hours ago, Sensei said:

Nuclear weapon, using Uranium-235 or Plutonium, are examples of nuclear fission.

In the Sun there is nuclear fusion.

This is ambiguous. As written, you imply that today's nuclear weapons are fission devices. They are not. They are fusion devices with a fission trigger. There is enough nonesnse in the OP without others adding to the confusion.

1 hour ago, Strange said:

Maybe he is thinking of the myth that the atom bomb could have ignited the atmosphere.

Yes, that's a possibility. (and why details would be good, so the misconception could be tracked down)

4 hours ago, swansont said:

Yes, that's a possibility. (and why details would be good, so the misconception could be tracked down)

Well yes the chain reaction, and low chance for the atom bomb back in world war 2, as I've mentioned 0.1%(one in a thousand chance), but as you build bigger bombs the chance of fusion chain reaction becomes higher(hydrogen bombs). It doesn't take that much more energy to bake an oxygen in comparison to a carbon. Earth could be the next sun if this isn't done right. Will hope that no one deliberately set off this chain reaction.

10 minutes ago, fredreload said:

Well yes the chain reaction, and low chance for the atom bomb back in world war 2, as I've mentioned 0.1%

Nowhere near. 

10 minutes ago, fredreload said:

but as you build bigger bombs the chance of fusion chain reaction becomes higher

Really?

14 minutes ago, fredreload said:

Earth could be the next sun if this isn't done right.

Just, no. 

Bethe: It is such absolute nonsense

26 minutes ago, fredreload said:

Well yes the chain reaction, and low chance for the atom bomb back in world war 2, as I've mentioned 0.1%(one in a thousand chance), but as you build bigger bombs the chance of fusion chain reaction becomes higher(hydrogen bombs). It doesn't take that much more energy to bake an oxygen in comparison to a carbon. Earth could be the next sun if this isn't done right. Will hope that no one deliberately set off this chain reaction.

It's not that you need more to fuse Oxygen than Carbon (although you do), it's that you need a lot more to fuse either than hydrogen.

Plus you need a certain density if you hope to sustain the reaction, which we don't have in our atmosphere. There also isn't enough gravity to counteract the thermal expansion.

https://sites.uni.edu/morgans/astro/course/Notes/section2/fusion.html

This claim doesn't pass the smell test.