Skip to content

Moontanman

Senior Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Moontanman

  1. I thought mistermack's joke was quite spot on my funny bone. I don't have anything against jews but israeli policy has long been lampooned for being somewhat less than gentle to those who dare to disabree with them. I don't hate israel as many who simply criticize them are accused of doing but I see no reason to kiss their ass either.
  2. Moontanman replied to iNow's topic in Politics
  3. I enjoyed her books of fiction... but the AAT has been shown to be false.
  4. I can see a house being made up of living trees, I've seen trees grown into various shapes, some resembling houses and even partially functional, but moving objects? Maybe with a lot of genetic engineering.
  5. Moontanman replied to iNow's topic in The Lounge
    What is a fish in the most interesting of those questions. Depending on how you define "taxon" we either are fish or fish is not a meaningful label for vertebrates. https://www.mun.ca/biology/scarr/Taxon_types.htm
  6. https://johnhawks.net/weblog/why-anthropologists-dont-accept-the-aquatic-ape-theory/
  7. Moontanman replied to iNow's topic in The Lounge
    Yes fish dance, watching their mating dances is one of the rewards of fish keeping!
  8. I hadn't thought of that answer, i was going for Pithyon.
  9. What do you call a snake that is 3.14 meters long?
  10. At the time of those writings the sun and moon were considered planets, but the earth was not and some even counted venus and mercury twice as evening and morning stars. We know now that the sun and moon are not planets and that mercury and venus are only one planet not four. I'm not seeing anything profound in the poetry than can be interpreted as accurate discriptions of the heavens. What was the definition of planets at the time is also important, if I understand correctly only objects that moved against the background of stars counted but now days we only count 8 planets. I'm not sure if there is a definition of planet that would suggest only 9 objects are planets.
  11. The purpose of life is obvious, to reproduce and create more life.
  12. I see, I misunderstood.
  13. I didn't see another thread on this, I'll look again. I can't seem to find the other thread, can you give me a link to it?
  14. A new study suggest dinosaurs might have been much smarter than originally thought! https://www.labroots.com/trending/neuroscience/24431/t-rex-smart-baboon
  15. Holes in cloud layers are cool as well.
  16. Yes but tumbleweeds only tumble after they are dead.
  17. I was confused about the volume but I still don't believe him, there are no scientific papers or peer review in the aquarium hobby. Anyone can claim anything.
  18. If you ae doing what you say you are doing then kudos to you. You have done what I would say was impossible. You should distribute this to reef sites where there are people more in the know than I am. I have been out of the reef trade for more than 20 years, probably longer. It would be interesting to see how your ideas were critiqued on reefer sites. This guy was very forthcoming about his 3 gallon tank and it does contain filtration and powerheads. He describes his tank and upkeep in detail.
  19. 3 gallons of water weigh in at 33.5 pounds, (8.5 pounds per gallon) the gravel weighs in at around two or three pounds, the glass another two or three pounds, the live rock another 2 pounds, substract the displaced water and you are still talking about more than 30 pounds, maybe 35.
  20. I want to believe you but I know that you aren't addressing all the problems, evidently you don't even know all the parameters of a reef tank. You have dismissed surface skimming as though it doesn't matter, surface skimming was a big plus in the search for a viable reef tank. Your "coral" would seem to be glued to plugs inserted into the sides of the tank and it doesn't seem you actually have any hard coral in the tank. Only small beginning clusters of soft coral. If it had been set up as long as you say the polyps would have outgrown the "vase" by now. Your whole presentation is deceptive, I wonder what motives you have. If I ever decide to set up a tiny reef, I really don't have the money to spare at this time, it will include methods of dealing with things like surface organics and calcium ions. The way yours is set up you could replace the animals on an on going basis, in fact it seems to be set up that way. I keep going back to that photo shopped pic of the tank setting in a car seat. Oh BTW, I live near the ocean and can, if I want, collect animals for a tank. No pet stores required.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.