Skip to content

Moontanman

Senior Members

Everything posted by Moontanman

  1. You should try training basset hounds, they are very smart but also very stubborn and have little to no desire to please you! I've seen octopus do some really odd things in captivity, I spent three years keeping them, from intentionally squirting water at me to get attention (they are very accurate too) to observing their excitement in getting an usual object to add to their fortress. They can open bottles, kill out of boredom-maybe even spite, show emotions through color changes, they are almost a never ending display of WTF! One of the oddest was crawling out of their tank through two other "freshwater" aquariums to get to their preferred food, live crayfish, and crawling back to their tank to feast on the crayfish. They are, IMHO, a lot like cats in their behaviors. I'd really like to try cuttlefish someday, if anything they are even odder than octopus. Or bob tailed squid, I tried to have several bob tailed squid shipped from Hawaii back in 1978, the live coral arrived in great shape but the squid didn't survive. Those squid have light organs under their bodies.
  2. "Fantasy will set you free"... Steppenwolf
  3. You never know, females eat their mates, maybe if I'm loyal enough they'll share. Or maybe I'll get to watch them eat you.
  4. But they taste so good!
  5. Only a matter of time, I for one welcome our cephalopod overlords!
  6. I have to agree, we can only see it from our own biased perspective, from our perspective its provocative but it could be much more simple. On the other hand the octopus could be our intellectual superior and thinks of us as animals who are relatively smart but can't really understand true communication via chromatophores.
  7. I've heard some bad things about organic mercury compounds, a minuscule amount resulting in a slow, but inevitable, degenerative death?
  8. whoa Thank you, that was unexpected, evidently I did understand the video, I was so sure the video had to be wrong.
  9. I would like to ask if Gluons are affected by the Higgs field in the same way as atoms. I've watched PBS video about the possibility that the Higgs field doesn't engage all particles equally but the specifics weren't clear.
  10. I do dive and I've had octopus who recognized me when I would approach, I often fed them, but I've kept a lot of them in aquaria, their behavior is fascinating! The ones around here are usually quite small seldom ever getting more than three feet across. BTW, three times in my life I've had an octopus crawl up out of the surf and attempt to crawl up my leg, I have no idea why. I agree he mirror test is less than useful for many animals. My dogs would always walk up to a mirror and smell their image and walk away... I think they knew it wasn't real because it had no smell. A dogs world is less temporal than ours because of they know what happened before due to the smells they can "see" that we cannot.
  11. Well that does raise it at least an order of magnitude, I'm not sure most adult humans would make that complex of a connection.
  12. Are you serious?
  13. In this video an octopus appears to lead a woman to a small cashe' of human artifacts including a photo of a human. Is it a reasonable conclusion that the octopus realized the possible value of a picture of a human or somehow thought a human would be interested in a picture of a human or even that the octopus connected the artifacts with the human due to the picture? If this is accurate it raises some real questions about just how intelligent an octopus really is. The video is 01:34 long, in my experience I've seen octopus do some unbelievable things but I never was able to decide if it was my own perspective that decided the octopus was acting as an intelligent agent or if the octopuses actions were actually intelligent independent of my own perception of its actions?
  14. "Nothing unreal exists" Spock
  15. Moontanman replied to iNow's topic in Politics
  16. Moontanman replied to iNow's topic in Politics
  17. The signature is the kicker, it was lifted from another document and "xeroxed" onto the document in question. This one thing negates the entire document cashe'.
  18. I have to agree, I know I'm supposed to be a true believer nut case, but these documents are of unknown providence, in fact they are copies of copies sent anonymously to a UFO researcher back in the 70s or 80s if I remember correctly. I've googled this to death and I can't find a source but I'll keep trying.
  19. Moontanman replied to iNow's topic in Politics
  20. I agree, anytime I see aliens described as humanoid I cringe, the idea of aliens being remotely human is unlikely to say the least. It has to be said the "humanoid" shape often described is used to back the idea that "aliens" are time travelers or from another plane of existence. One mystery being used to explain yet another mystery... not a path to knowledge. Oh yeah there is the speculation that the "aliens" we see are really just biological probes/drones that are made to look like us... I think they missed the mark a bit with the grays... While I wasn't following Avi all that closely I am saddened to learn he ran off the rails, he started out on track, I don't understand the "why" in cases like this. To have the cashe' to be able to pull off an investigation (I understood his point) and then ruin it with hubris just boggles my mind.
  21. I'm not sure where these came from but they resemble papers I've read about that were sent anonymously to a researcher back in the late 60s or early 70s, anyway they used a signature of Harry Truman from another paper and zerox was used to put the signature on the papers. Not saying it is those papers but the resemblance is interesting.
  22. This does demand originals at the very least, photocopies are provocative but not really anything but a starting point to confirm their veracity. .
  23. I don't know what to say, I've never seen these papers, confirming their source would be my next step.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.