Everything posted by dimreepr
-
Is print the double edged sword that dangles by a thread?
Is it really that obvious? For instance, Socrates wasn't a fan. Really, doesn't that dismiss causality, in a fundamental way?
-
Is print the double edged sword that dangles by a thread?
Well this is spooky, I came across this keynote speech by Will Self, today: Well worth a listen, he even point's to the type of metric I meant (far more eloquently) @iNow They're the same thing, just amplified again. It's a shame this will be merged. We're very clever apes with a penchant for breaking boundaries and the written word has no more value than the spoken word, in advancing our understanding of the available knowledge. I dismiss the idea that printing democratised anything in any meaningful way, bc for democracy to be effective we're not all reading from the same hymn sheet...
-
Is print the double edged sword that dangles by a thread?
Really? I think knowledge is far more likely to be properly understood, down the ages, using word of mouth; text traps meaning in the moment it's written...
-
Is print the double edged sword that dangles by a thread?
The start. It accelerated the value of the written word, over the spoken word; in essence it got us from worrying about what the next village was up too relevant to ours, to worrying about what the Mongolians are up to.
-
What is the nature of our existence?
So, is that a yes to horns? So, is 'that' a yes to horns? And yet again we circle back to the only truth we can have about this question, mine...😉
-
What is the nature of our existence?
So if I was a satanist, would I have horns? 🙂 "Blue pill or red pill?" Besides that's an oxymoron? Education helps, if it's teaching critical thinking, bc then we can see the adverts and attempts to train our thinking.
-
Is print the double edged sword that dangles by a thread?
Are we better off having invented the printing press? I don't want to block the rabbit hole, so I'll leave it there for know and flesh thing's out as and when.
-
Your View On Gematria
If the authors of the bible planned to put their secrets into a bastardised version of their words, that's also translated into a language they couldn't possibly know about, using a number system they couldn't understand; then I guess there really is a God, who knew... 😇
-
What is the nature of our existence?
What about, what is the meaning of 'my' life? I spent year's, "42", figuring out that one, bloody computer's were no help... 😉
-
What is the nature of our existence?
If you've never been driven to eat out of a bin, I doubt your taste buds have tingled quite so much...
-
What is the nature of our existence?
Says who?
-
What is the nature of our existence?
It does for me, YMMV...
-
What is the nature of our existence?
But none of them thought about why... I just like to think about it, I don't care why. Your purpose may vary... 😉
-
What is the nature of our existence?
That's where you're missing my point, Merleau-Ponty I think was just pointing out the difficulty in disentangling the mind from the body and not that the body thinks. The "brave new world" is just describing our modern world, with extreme prescience given when it was writen. The point being we can't engineer a safe world for everybody/thing (everything is on something's menu), it will always fail bc those not included in the plan will find a way to beat the plan; in the context of the OP, "shit happens"... What about those that can't? Not everyone can afford a good education, let alone a hooker... 😉
-
Mind-brain (split from I ask recognition from physicalists of at least 1 non-physical dimension where concepts, the inner voice, inner imagery and dreams 'reside'
It's a fine line to tread, questions are great but only if you're willing to listen, properly and honestly, to the answer; by which I mean, not having faith in the answer you want to hear. Boasting is an interesting word to use, bc when you do understand well enough to be able to say that, it will have lost it's meaning for you... 😉 I hope you do, it's always nice to learn more.
-
What is the nature of our existence?
That's not what he's saying, we're like mobile anthill all of the part's are inseparable and they all inform the context of our story, if we lose an arm the story changes. Everything is on somethings menu. You do like to change the goalposts 🙄, but OK I'll bite; what is the actual question? In 'A Brave new world' the world is engineered to provide everything we need, in a peaceful world; what's wrong with that?
-
Mind-brain (split from I ask recognition from physicalists of at least 1 non-physical dimension where concepts, the inner voice, inner imagery and dreams 'reside'
There is no short cut to understanding, if you want to be a pier, you have to build the foundations; just saying "what he said", is not being an honest seeker of truth... 😉
-
Mind-brain (split from I ask recognition from physicalists of at least 1 non-physical dimension where concepts, the inner voice, inner imagery and dreams 'reside'
It's one of those bias's we're unaware of, like why is that brand my favourite? A flash of genuine understanding, in the fog of life, is always worth striving for bc you will never be disapointed; believe me, it's far more satisfying than the best <insert drug> high and it lasts a lifetime. Like who thinks?
-
What is the nature of our existence?
No to the idea that there's objective truth (whatever definition) to be told or taught, for life to make sense we have to self contextualise, then our story can flow. There is no correct perspective, not even your's.
-
Should we continue to change time twice a year?
That's a good reason, thanks for the info...
-
Should we continue to change time twice a year?
If it ain't broke, why fix it? The only way it affects me is, two Sundays a year I'll wake up, either a bit earlier or a bit later than I expected...😉
-
Mind-brain (split from I ask recognition from physicalists of at least 1 non-physical dimension where concepts, the inner voice, inner imagery and dreams 'reside'
Do you imagine you're any less trainable? It won't be a dead end, but it will never lead to the 'ultimate' truth... 😉 Indeed, that was my point... Any notion that we're somehow special/spiritual is purely subjective, if you want to believe otherwise, then good luck my friend, but: I've always thought that that quote should end with the word, 'honestly', just to remind the pseudoscientist's...
-
What is the nature of our existence?
TBH I thought it was you that brought up the number's related objective, but OK let's bin that; what's left is objective purpose (unless you have your own definition), which, when we drill down to the fundamentals, is to continue living; but that's not a universal given for all people or creature's, some of them get the urge to shag themselves to death, they wake up one day and their purpose has changed they now fundamentally, want to die and some people chose now to end their life. Like I said, "whatever way I parse this, the answer is no."
-
Should we continue to change time twice a year?
Employer's only really care that their employees aren't sad enough to pull a sickie...
-
Mind-brain (split from I ask recognition from physicalists of at least 1 non-physical dimension where concepts, the inner voice, inner imagery and dreams 'reside'
But what's left is a spiritual aspect, and there's as much evidence for that as there is for a god. My ant analogy was meant to illustrate that a simple (binary) response can give the illusion of intelligence (thinking), without a conscious mind that control's their action's. Even if we do come to understand our own consciousness, which we don't, that wouldn't be evidence of any other entity's qualification. How do you know they're not lying, or suffering from a bias they're unaware of? Just acknowledging that bias exists doesn't mean you're not free of them, it's like the oft heard excuse from someone accused of racism "I can't be a racist because my best friend is black". That's like saying, "when I'm tall enough to see out of this window, I'll be able to see the whole world." No, it basically means the potential for the right neuron to receive the message; in wiring term's, a big enough charge to bridge the gap.