Skip to content

dimreepr

Senior Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by dimreepr

  1. Shouldn't the word be 'mitigation', it's the industrious mouse all over and why Ricky didn't get it.
  2. I'm not suggesting we do, I'm suggesting we use the correct translation. The point of this parable, as seen from a socratic POV: The man died in peace because his soul is untainted, and the wolf lived because it's a wolf; if it was a dear, the outcome could be the same, in a panic the deer trampled the man to death, only the food is different. 😉
  3. I'm questioning the need for the word punishment in the context of beecee's insistence on retaining the word in his 1,2,3 approach. What I'm proposing is we exchange the word with, [1] an attempt to understand the underlying 'reasons' for the perp to commit the crime. As it stands 'punishment' is used as an 'excuse' to protect the status quo, for some reason; I want to understand the reason. When I look at a homeless person, I think "there but for the grace of god go I" as I'm sure do countless other's. We can't prevent crime (whatever the movie's say), but we can mitigate against the damage done by society, as it stands now, prison's are nothing more than a university of criminality; only this time the "drop outs" are the lucky one's.
  4. No, you've dodged and danced round it, with strawmen and ridicule. It's really quite simple, if the perp is unable to threaten you; why do you need to punish them? This might be quite a long hour for you... Then why do I ask the question? when it's much easier to hate what I don't understand... What else don't you know?
  5. Just answer the question...
  6. Indeed, my agenda is, let's try to be a little bit kinder to our fellow animals/humans. It's a simple question, if we're protected why do we need to punish?
  7. I've answered that question many time's, if he's a proven dangerous dog and can't be changed; put him down, with the lament "it's kinder".
  8. Again no answer, if the public are protected from your 'so called evil' and [3] isn't effective, there's no reason to stop protecting the public; that doesn't = they need to be punished.
  9. That's no answer, why is there [1] and [2] if they're the same?
  10. Is that why you resorted to ridicule; as some sort of wishy-washy attempt at an argument?
  11. And I'm asking why do we need [1] (why is it obligatory), when [2] and [3] adequately protects while attempting to cure? Answer that and this merry-go-round comes to an end... 😉 I only have compassion for me, as I've previously stated, just in case my training isn't quite as good as I thought it was and I find myself in the dock; with the likes of you pointing and calling me a witch...
  12. Good luck with that, fearing something you have no control over, isn't a path to peace; just like seeking revenge. I do wonder though, if you'd take pleasure in dishing out their comeuppance; and sleep better? Since WW2 has lead to what you believe is a society with the best, possible handle on justice; I'd say Hitler had a part to play in causing that. Why do you need 100%, for it to be better than what we've got? Isn't 10% over what we have now, worth a go? Do you really think the world would be a better place, if we lock up every potential threat; ergo there is no more threat? Tell that to Afghanistan... That's my boy, if you don't understand it, it can't be understood. 🙄
  13. “To freeze the moment In seventeen syllables Is very diffic - Haiku No. 1” ― John Cooper Clarke, The Luckiest Guy Alive The luckiest guy alive, doesn't work for a living; his work provides a living...
  14. Welcome to the ghost of old Tom Joad...
  15. Then the scales of justice are measuring the wrong thing. Jeez, how many more page's... A little less subtle, but sometimes we need a hammer...
  16. Then we know we got it wrong, feel free to throw away the key or put them down, like you would a dangerous dog (with the lament "it's kinder"). What if we got the wrong guy in the first place and vent our spleen's on them, again we got it wrong; but now we're happy to let it happen to a plethora of other innocents in the certain knowledge, that our vented spleen makes the world a better place. How do you prevent a disease you don't know you have? "The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain.
  17. Have you tried? No-one knows the future, all you can change is now.
  18. I think you find it in most religion's, Buddhism is a more recognised philosophy, in it forgiveness leads to inner-peace; seems to be a pretty good place to start... 😉 Because not doing so can't change the past; only your future... Seems to me what you mean is, "Justice according to my emotional judgement of the "evil" he "possess". Rose West Evil monster or innocent victim of child abuse?
  19. So let's start with, assuming the perp is a victim too, until proven otherwise...
  20. How does this argue my post? Indeed, it's clear that you don't understand my philosophy; my apologies for not explaining it, to you, properly...
  21. It's the best chance we've got, sometimes the hardest person to forgive is me... What's religion got to do with it? Exactly, you struggle to comprehend the peace it brings...
  22. OK, so what do you recommend?
  23. So, no then; besides evil only exists in hell, inside the dark lord. How do you know that Hitler didn't lead to a better world? Besides, what good would it do for the victim's of him; to seek revenge on him. Natural justice is an eye for an eye (in Hitler's case, kill him without torture), not two eye's for one; that's why revenge just leads to blindness and why it can only damage society. Cinamatic justice is fiction, sure it feels good to see "the evil bastard" get their comeuppance. In real life the situation is infinitely more nuanced; for instance: Fiction, we get to personally witness the crime and see the pleasure he's getting, sometimes we're given a back storyline to confirm what an "evil monster" he is; and then the "good folks" prevail. Life, we can't be sure of anything; even if we personally witness the crime. It's not compassion for other's, it's purely selfish; it's how I'd like to be treated, if I ever find myself in the dock.
  24. Forgiveness isn't about what's best for the perp, it's about what's best for you; even if the forgiven is you...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.