Everything posted by geordief
-
270 light years
It took 270 years for a photon to complete the journey from what is possibly a second gen planet in the neighbourhood of a white dwarf ,as recently discovered "The planet is likely a gas giant orbiting a white dwarf called HS 0209+0832 located about 270 light-years from Earth, according to the authors of a study published Monday in the journal Nature Astronomy." https://edition.cnn.com/2026/10/05/science/second-generation-planet-discovery-white-dwarf and https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-026-02983-7 That is (was) a long time and a hell of a distance. It seems ,after our Sun has blown its top there may still be life in the old Solar System after all.(time now to invest in SpaceX while the price is reasonable)
-
Why the Rest of the World Thinks Americans Are Brainwashed
Apparently the portable floating port(?)/artificial harbour(s) that were assembled in secret at multiple locations and sailed across were a huge factor and a major innovation in the success of the landings(their immediate aftermath) as all the main ports along the coast were well defended by the Germans.
-
John Oliver takedown of United Healthcare
I don't think we get that in Europe. Is this the same video? https://www.instagram.com/reel/DdoXjZtjprc/
-
Is there a theory for ~ "life is a trap/better die asap"
Is that one of his best?(he could have been a dancer too)
-
US military had close call after using AI for false intelligence report, sources say
Bound to happen ,surely. Spy vs Spy will evolve to AI(us) vs AI(them) vsAI (who is that?) Was listening to an "AI Decoded" discussion last night on BBC(Christian Fraser) -mostly gloomy. They were worried about down the line ,not so much the present but not the distant future either. We know the leaders of those companies and governments are scum.When will the general public see it too?
-
What are you listening to right now?
A man who it now transpires had a very bad history of wife abuse (so I read) The song is about a very close friend of his with mental problems who died a year or so later of a drug overdose. https://salutfolk.com/2026/05/04/beverley-martyn-and-what-might-have-been/
-
Direct Democracy in Switzerland
Got a job there in an apple factory farm .The boss had a word in our ear not to let on to the other (must have been darker skinned) migrant workers how much we were being paid. Still I remember the beautiful circling sight of their green fields as I took the plane back from USA to European "civilization" back in the 70s-never to return.
-
Political Humor
Janey Godley said it first in Scotland (as per the record,I think) More than he deserved. Mind you the CIC said it to EJ Caroll's(?) lawyer in code so that much he does deserve.
-
Orwell spying mark 2 ?
Walk around the house with a Melania lookalike in tow or claim you have solved how to break the internet? According to a "whistleblower" from Anthropic today there is a greater than 10% chance of humanity wipeout in 10 yrs time ,so what the hell. Anthropic researcher believes more than 10% chance AI 'co...It is the latest in a series of increasing warnings about the safety threat posed by artificial intelligence.
-
Does science have a natural endpoint?
Life is a tautology? Life is a self relation? The hammer is the nail and the nail is the hammer?
-
Does science have a natural endpoint?
Would the 3 body problem be on that list? In order to know something do we have to be a part of the system ,and does our observation /participation intrinsically alter what we "know" about the system ?(do isolated isolated systems exist in principle or practice?) Does the world effectively reinvent itself at each step along the way** (if "steps" exist and there is not a continuum behind every step?) **which would also cut off at the pass any theoretical or practical extent to establish a deterministic chain of causation between events(except statistically)
-
Is Farage's Goose Now Cooked?
!!¡¡!!¡¡
-
The Official JOKES SECTION :)
Looks more like the halibut swallowed the kitty.
-
Is Farage's Goose Now Cooked?
A popular sitcom some 20 or so years back,perhaps.
-
Why don't totatizing ideologies allow the possiility of good faith disagreement?
@npts2020 " Having been fortunate enough to have met Mr Ali twice, I would inquire what particular views you found repellent? The first time I met him was in Washington DC's Farragut Square in the early 1990's. I had seen him there or nearby a couple times previously but there was always a mob around him, this time he was by himself. I asked to shake his hand because I admired his willingness to go to jail instead of Viet Nam. This led to about a 10-15 minute discussion about ethics, morality, hypocrisy and religion, which except for the latter we mostly agreed upon. Apparently, the discussion left enough of an impression for him to remember having met 4-5 years later. Unfortunately, the second time we didn't get to do much more than greet each other because of the usual entourage and my having a deadline to be somewhere." At 10.30 minutes into the interview he advocates against intermarriage between the races. I found that disgusting(and he tried to drag Parkinson into agreeing with him "you have to say that because this is your show") A very charming man but very dangerous had he continued down that path.Did he? (I admired him too,but not for that side of him)
-
DM Particle Detection Candidate
I think I read that the new Nancy Grace telescope is hoped to be effective at studying Dark Matter. So,fingers crossed.I think it will take a few months before it reaches its "mooring position"
-
Why don't totatizing ideologies allow the possiility of good faith disagreement?
I had read the first part and then I read the whole of it. It is a very famous interview over here but it was the first time I had listened to it. I was taken by his charm in the first few minutes and I thought it was apposite to the discussion. He then veered into apartheidt territory and Parkinson had to hold his ground since MA was such a convincing act but his views were repellent.
-
Why don't totatizing ideologies allow the possiility of good faith disagreement?
I just listened to the whole of that clip. It started off funny and turned very dark. MA was some performer(could have been an actor) but he let himself down then. I think he recanted later but I don't know if he did explicitly -maybe he just put it behind him.
-
Why don't totatizing ideologies allow the possiility of good faith disagreement?
Just don't call them the Black Ages ;-)
-
"Suicide of the British nation"
Was watching Dan Snow's account of the establishment of Christianity in Ireland and onwards to Iona and Northumberland (Lindisfarne) in the 7th(?) century. Astonished at the detail of intrigue and politicking that has been documented in these isles over this long period. I know all countries have their own history but I wonder whether the British Isles have a more complete documented history than other political and geographic regions or have I just got tinted glasses? They say that the Victors make history.Will it all turn to dust when Britain returns to a backwater (or subservient) status as the wheel spins around inexorably?
-
Viewing Michelson Morley from spacw
I don't think it does. It was just a question that occurred to me about velocity and Kinetic Energy. I was wrong but it doesn't have much bearing on your question.
-
Viewing Michelson Morley from spacw
If velocity and kinetic energy are relative quantities does it follow that mass is also relative since KE =1/2[mv^2] ? Or can m be viewed as a conversion factor between velocity and KE in a similar way to how c is,I think seen as a conversion factor between space and time?
-
The simplest equation in all of Science
Can I ask what does the "s" in "delta s" quantify? Not the spacetime interval,I think. I think I saw it described as "entropy" but maybe also as to do with the path of least action which is supposed to explain gravity and geodesics.
-
Taxi drivers rarely die of Alzheimer’s
I had to run that one through AI ... You obviously had a dirty (or a guilty) mind.He must certainly have said "No,this is mine", meaning his stop. (I wonder what the Alzheimer's mortality rate would have been for taxi passengers if they had thought to include it in their survey)
-
New fossil leaf study of PETM shows C02 rises harm forest, not "green the planet"
Was that supposed beneficial effect of more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere used to poo poo the dangers of an its consequenti increased greenhouse effect ? Is that talking point more or less put to bed or will they not be bothered to read the fine print and keep assuring us that it will be good for agriculture?