some suggestions both for authors/members & forums

hello ;

to authors (members)

1)I think it would be better if all mebers contain the information of their interests or / and their degree programme & degree or / and experiences in their profiles.

2) I also recommend that those members (who do not contain such information) to contain their real age ,this one might be a bit important at sometime. (for instance ,I am genrally behaving/speaking with elderly ones softer (more careful) I do not know the reality ,but I predict that elderly people might be more sensitive.)

but the first one is very important.I am generally checking their profiles to see members' interest at science.

to forum (..'s moderators)

1) I do not know the reason. and I also saw this at some other forums but not at all .the thing that I imply is that being impossible for members to erase or to tidy their comments after a determined time. (I did not calculated it. but I predict the time spreads on no longer than 48 hours. )

I suggest to give us the permission for everytime to do this (no deadline).

2) there is one more suggestion (but depends on the answer of this question ( do not know the answer)

-->> at first I would say that really I am making reformings on my comments many times to make it understood well but I do not know whether other members might see the last form of our comment after reforming without to renew the page be done .(I also apologise for this!..)

if this property does not exist ,I suggest this.

blue.

Edited by blue89

With editing the posts - members are encouraged to make small changes, such as minor typos and correct spelling, as soon as they can. However, the problem has been that people have drastically changed posts even when replys to that post have been given. The whole thread can become a mess.

If you want to change some post at a later date, then tough, but what you can do is clearly state in another post the change of opinion, point out the error etc. That way everything is still continous.

really I do not know the law conditions at uk and I have read from the forum's rules that the uk's law conditions were being eligible there.(but in compulsory when any problem is being occured.) intimately I am deeply innocent already at all and I believe & hope not to make something against the law anytime.

but I have reported the thing that you might find it a bit interesting.

in turkey official forums are just have such properties (we are not permitted to make changes on our comments like this forum)

but I saw some notifications when I closed at a time. (it was said that if there existed any problem they would be able to use our comments or they would share them because of the existence of probability being arrested & investigated.)

I have never lived this. and I behave very careful to comply the law conditions ,but their that comment really have effect such may make us stress & depress :(

otherwise as I said I am careful to comply the law rules and I have not lived such cases anytime.

hmm ,you are a bit right about editing comments ,because this is scientific forum...

I should behave more carefully not to cause the faults by spelling :(

Edited by blue89

Formally UK laws apply as the server is in the UK. But, UK laws are generally liberal and I would not worry about this if I were you. Just use common sense and you will be okay.

ok.

I only mentioned this to feel more free..

I find the life sometimes interesting ..

it seems innocent ones being bored rather than guilties at somewhere..

furthermore , I am willing to check the members' profile to see their interests or experiences to speak more properly (experience: because in my belief this is probable to succeed great thing without higher than BSc /BA degree ,too. ) but I commonly cannot see thats. the official information probably would be honest behaviour or better.

Edited by blue89

the official information probably would be honest behaviour or better.

Sure, but this is not a professional network of any kind. It is up to the individual members how much information they give.

In my opinion, you can generally tell the level of education after a few posts - but not always. More importantly, the level of education of individual members is not usually directly of relavence to the threads.

hımm yes thats were suiatble to my opinion , I have believed that english society is a bit respective really up to now in some subjects.

but I meant that property you implied above does not exist at everywhere. :(

In my opinion, you can generally tell the level of education after a few posts - but not always. More importantly, the level of education of individual members is not usually directly of relavence to the threads.

I imnplied / requested/ suggested them to show at their own profile ,not in their any comment.

I imnplied / requested/ suggested them to show at their own profile ,not in their any comment.

Yes, but they are under no real obligation to do so, and may will choose not to.

Sure, but this is not a professional network of any kind. It is up to the individual members how much information they give.

I already support that Idea( because of my characters) but..again I saw some special programmes ,for instance some of them do not permit to anyone who have no relevant degree according to their compettition or programme to register.

but in science ?

hello ;

to authors (members)

1)I think it would be better if all mebers contain the information of their interests or / and their degree programme & degree or / and experiences in their profiles.

2) I also recommend that those members (who do not contain such information) to contain their real age ,this one might be a bit important at sometime. (for instance ,I am genrally behaving/speaking with elderly ones softer (more careful) I do not know the reality ,but I predict that elderly people might be more sensitive.)

LMAO I appreciate your respect for elders, but one doesn't get old without growing tough. I often use the F*** word.

please explain what you are implying with more expression in order to make me understand ..

I could not understand anything and I do not like repeating something (especially at scientific conversations) ( sorry,I generally hate it !..)

this comment means that it is being the last time for questioning...

you will not be questioned about this subject one more time.of course you are free what you think or you are free how you behave at everywhere if you are complying the rules where you are being. this only means your expressions will not have any understandable thing for me!..

furthermore ,I think I am elite ,and I do not accept any expression which is impolite in the meaning...

Edited by blue89

...I think I am elite ...

Sorry to say this - and at the risk of being off topic - we know this already.

Anyway, you have made some suggestion and I have indicated why this forum does not operate in this way.

hello ;

to authors (members)

2) I also recommend that those members (who do not contain such information) to contain their real age ,

I think these are both fairly pointless suggestions.

For one thing, this information is (usually) irrelevant. For example, Markus Hanke is one of the most knowledgable people about GR but is entirely self taught, with no formal qualifications. On the other hand, there are often people who have (or claim to have) qualifications but talk nonsense.

Also, there is a danger of "appeal to authority" - i.e. giving more weight to the opinions of people who happen to have qualifications.

Similarly, both young and old are capable of being wise or talking nonsense.

The only time I think it is useful to know if someone is very young (say, early teens or younger) is because that may explain their naive enthusiasm for a silly idea. I would take a different approach trying to explain things to someone very young, than I would to someone who is older.

Anyway, people might just lie about their qualifications or age. How is anyone going to know?

There is already the "Resident Expert" tag that is applied to some members. They generally seem to know what they are talking about (in their area of expertise). I don't know how this gets given; presumably it is the result of many helpful and accurate posts.

!

Moderator Note

I have hidden several posts that were on the topic of "troll". Such posts are OT, to which the target feels compelled to respond, which hijacks the discussion.

If you feel that the rules are being broken, use the report post function. Otherwise, stay on-topic.

Or forum allows anonymity (or rather pseudonymity), a feature that you have seemingly embraced. Requiring disclosure of any such information is contrary to that principle. Some people might not feel comfortable providing such data, for whatever reason. They are free to voluntarily disclose it, if they wish.

Time and experience with the members reveals who knows what they are talking about. The letters after their name is just a starting point that they may know what they are talking about. Genuine Intellectual authority comes from acquiring respect through providing good information that stands up against scrutiny and the test of time.

I once made the mistake of revealing to much personal detail in an older Forum that thankfully no longer exists.

Without going into the reasons I was hounded for a good year in PMs of ppl wanting me to validate or cosign their personal models in Cosmology.

The right to keep your personal information hidden is highly needed to protect membership.

As mentioned the quality of a persons post should be the only judgement required.

Even with that protection some of our experts often get PM requests to proof read papers that some people want to get into a peer review publication. In some cases we don't mind doing so. Provided our busy schedules allow for it. For example for the past 2 months I've been proof reading a 1100 page dissertation for a friend of mine.

In most cases I ran into the want to be publisher doesn't have anything worth publishing. As it becomes readily apparent the want to be publisher doesn't understand the mainstream models he is competing against. Though on rare occasion I get requests that is worth the effort.

Not because the paper is profound but because the author has good knowledge on the topic and is merely looking for ways to improve his paper or is seeking good quality references to support or counter his paper. (yes good quality papers should include counter models)

Personally any detailed information I would rather provide on main forums rather than in PM. This way everyone including myself can learn.

On another forum a retired astrophysicist revealed too much and was regularly hounded on PMs. He used to get me to help him on subjects he was less familiar with.

Unfortunately that forum member passed away a few months back. I will greatly miss his LQC expertise.

In both cases neither he nor myself is famous or particularly well known in real life. Simple credentials was enough to get hounded by requests.

(thankfully this particular forum is for more relaxed on some of its rules, that members hasva Speculation forum). This has greatly reduced the number of PMs I would have gotten compared to forums that don't support speculative ideas.)

Which is one reason I visit here more than other forums. (I don't post personal models in Speculations as I can usually disprove my own models via math).

Edited by Mordred

Getting slightly off topic here, but your comment about being asked to review papers reminded me of this wonderful article (by the wonderfully named Underwood Dudley) about math cranks and his responses to them. It ends with some great insights into the sort of people who come up with these theories.

http://web.mst.edu/~lmhall/WhatToDoWhenTrisectorComes.pdf