Windows 7 or 10?

dimreepr

I would bother more about hardware specification than OS..

(as long it's Windows)

ps. Check whether your external devices are compatible with 10 (empirically, not just by reading websites)...

If not, you might be screwed, having to buy more stuff like printer/scanner/digital camera etc.

I'm comfortable with 7

Really? I am comfortable only with WinXP.. And AmigaOS (especially with DOpus Magellan/MUI)...

Edited by Sensei

7 was nice but 10 is much better and is here to stay; it will only evolve gradually now. There's a bit of a learning curve with changing certain habits and expectations but I find 10 very automatic and intuitive to use. You can bring up everything from the Search box and there are many apps already built in. The email client is awesome very easy to use for example. 10 is a natural evolution of 7 so I would point you to 10, without a doubt.

• 2 months later...

I am finding it alright. It crashes and freezes more than 7/XP on my laptop but that could be the hardware.... What really pissed me off about it was that I was given NO choice over the upgrade... I was using 7or XP on my laptop and it just decided to upgrade itself without even asking me for permission. I had to just stop whatever I was working on and wait for it to finish..... from then on it keeps crashing, so, even if it is better I have a dislike for it as it was forced on me and caused my PC to continually freeze and crash..

"Bring me Bill Gates"! (South Park movie).

I would bother more about hardware specification than OS..

(as long it's Windows)

ps. Check whether your external devices are compatible with 10 (empirically, not just by reading websites)...

If not, you might be screwed, having to buy more stuff like printer/scanner/digital camera etc.

Really? I am comfortable only with WinXP.. And AmigaOS (especially with DOpus Magellan/MUI)...

A few months ago I gave linux a retry - it's now far more user friendly and much faster than windows 7.

Works for most things, with a windows (non) emulator like wine if needed and if it doesn't I can reboot to windows 7 or xp and have a leisurely coffee while it's booting.

It's important to use a 64-bit version to overcome windows 7 upwards' insistence that any other os is a virus.

The only real disadvantage of dual booting is that your computer is still vulnerable to windows boot viruses.

Test and installation instructions: e.g. for linux mint: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=91140