Caucasian

DrmDoc

Here is a YouTube MTV Decoded video that describes "The Surprisingly Racist History of Caucasian." This video illuminates details on the origin of this racial term to its use in America. Is it racist? Given its origin, I still somehow find its current use in America less offensive than white but Negro more offensive than black or Afro-American, which continues to be used by government in certain areas of the country. What are your thoughts?

Edited by DrmDoc

Here is a YouTube MTV Decoded video that describes "The Surprisingly Racist History of Caucasian." This video illuminates details on the origin of this racial term to its use in America. Is it racist? Given its origin, I still somehow find its current use in America less offensive than white but Negro more offensive than black or Afro-American, which continues to be used by government in certain areas of the country. What are your thoughts?

Caucasian (adj.) dictionary.gif 1807, from Caucasus Mountains, between the Black and Caspian seas; applied to the "white" race 1795 (in German) by German anthropologist Johann Blumenbach, because its supposed ancestral homeland lay there; since abandoned as a historical/anthropological term. (See Aryan). http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=caucasian

Negro (n.) dictionary.gif "member of a black-skinned race of Africa," 1550s, from Spanish or Portuguese negro "black," from Latin nigrum (nominative niger) "black, dark, sable, dusky," figuratively "gloomy, unlucky, bad, wicked," of unknown origin (perhaps from PIE *nekw-t- "night;" see Watkins). As an adjective from 1590s. Use with a capital N- became general early 20c. (e.g. 1930 in "New York Times" stylebook) in reference to U.S. citizens of African descent, but because of its perceived association with white-imposed attitudes and roles the word was ousted late 1960s in this sense by Black (q.v.). http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=negro

Given the traditional history of ethnic distinction by skin colour and its terrible consequences, I think society needs to move away from this style of reference. At the end of the day, all these terms origins/etymology were based on colonialist imposition on the inhabitants of the less developed countries. I think all these words, like 'Black', 'Negro', 'Caucasian' are fundamentally offensive and disrespectful as labels for particular groups of people. If a label must be used then 'Afro-Caribbean', 'African', 'German', 'European' is more useful, meaningful and respectful as a reference. Express a person's skin colour if it is pertinent as a means of personal identification but one shouldn't let it define them as an individual or the cultural group they belong to.

Edited by StringJunky

I agree, we should move beyond these types of references but I think that won't happen for a great many years here in the United States. I think there's a lot of unresolved anger over our history and perpetual racial mistreatment, which our political environment and governing style seems to nurture.

• 4 weeks later...

Why is everyone whining about historical injustices, and only those done by Whites? After all, Whites are being genocided right now. Could there be some connection? Some kind of media and academia conspiracy?

Given the traditional history of ethnic distinction by skin colour and its terrible consequences, I think society needs to move away from this style of reference. At the end of the day, all these terms origins/etymology were based on colonialist imposition on the inhabitants of the less developed countries. I think all these words, like 'Black', 'Negro', 'Caucasian' are fundamentally offensive and disrespectful as labels for particular groups of people. If a label must be used then 'Afro-Caribbean', 'African', 'German', 'European' is more useful, meaningful and respectful as a reference. Express a person's skin colour if it is pertinent as a means of personal identification but one shouldn't let it define them as an individual or the cultural group they belong to.

Why should anyone care if somebody labels something "offensive"? Personally I have no idea why any of these words would be more offensive than the others, ie. not at all. Are people not allowed to say things anytme you say "offensive"?

Why is everyone whining about historical injustices...

Who was it that said, "If we for get our history, we are doomed to repeat it"? Recalling and discussing the historical injustices at the root of our terminology isn't whining, it's an effort to edify our young against repeating our prior bad acts and perpetuating our mistakes.

Who was it that said, "If we for get our history, we are doomed to repeat it"? Recalling and discussing the historical injustices at the root of our terminology isn't whining, it's an effort to edify our young against repeating our prior bad acts and perpetuating our mistakes.

Wot E Sed.

Why is everyone whining about historical injustices, and only those done by Whites?

The reason for not forgetting history has been mentioned. And one reason your hear more about the injustices that have been done by "whites" is because you are living in a largely "white" world. If you were living in other parts of the world, you might be made constantly aware of injustices done by your "black", "brown" or "yellow" neighbours (or other equally idiotic classifications).

After all, Whites are being genocided right now.

Nonsense.

Edited by Strange

It won't stop you from making new mistakes though :P

Edited by Sirona

A wise person learns from their mistakes; a clever person learns from the mistakes of the wise person.

Although never wise, I like considering myself occasionally clever.

It won't stop you from making new mistakes though :P

Although the opposite is preferable, you won't know they are mistakes and learn from them until you make them :)

It doesn't prevent you from making old mistakes, either.

Indeed; a symptom of the highly virulent obtuse ass-hat disease!

Tons...if I were truly wise, I wouldn't make so many :embarass:

You only become wise through your mistakes; another way of saying that one has acquired 'experience'. I am very wise but would rather be clever; less painful. :)

Those that never made a mistake never made anything. ;)

Edit: added missing word.

Edited by StringJunky

You only become wise through your mistakes; another way of saying that one has acquired 'experience'. I am very wise but would rather be clever; less painful. :)

Those that never made a mistake never anything. ;)

Considering your wise perspective, being the clever person that I am, indeed I am also exceedingly wise.

You only become wise through your mistakes; (snip) Those that never made a mistake never anything.

Damnit, man! You beat to saying that exact same thing (except that last sentence which is far more precise than anything I'd have shared). :)

Damnit, man! You beat to saying that exact same thing (except that last sentence which is far more precise than anything I'd have shared). :)

It was a favourite saying of my grandad's. The way you have edited it is better though. +1 We do like to be concise., :)

I have found it to be a consoling expression when things go tits up and also helps young people, mentioning it to them, when the same happens to them as well (as I was once) :).

It is our mistakes that make us, not our successes, are they not?

Edited by StringJunky

• 3 weeks later...

Wait, so if your classify yourself as Caucasian the your racist?(according to the video). Because it "separates them from everyone else" and "makes them seem connected in a way other races aren't". . Lost. It's still a classification, just like "negro" or "china-men." They both separate them, and both make the groups seem like they have something the others don't(good or bad). Does that make her racist or everyone racist?

Wait, so if your classify yourself as Caucasian the your racist?(according to the video). Because it "separates them from everyone else" and "makes them seem connected in a way other races aren't". . Lost. It's still a classification, just like "negro" or "china-men." They both separate them, and both make the groups seem like they have something the others don't(good or bad). Does that make her racist or everyone racist?

That video exposes the racist origin of an essentially meaningless and useless classification. Some of us are not familiar with how the term came into use; whereas, with familiarity, some of us might not be so inclined to use the term so freely. It's an edifying bit of trivia.

Edited by DrmDoc

That video exposes the racist origin of an essentially meaningless and useless classification. Some of us are not familiar with how the term came into use; whereas, with familiarity, some of us might not be so inclined to use the term so freely. It's an edifying bit of trivia.

I meant that if you watch the end of the video, you can seriously see that she thinks Caucasian shouldn't be used because it represents superiority rather then a racial classification. Which in a way it does, but still.