Inhibitors to employment

fiveworlds

Given my skills to apply to any and all jobs on a job site I have compiled a list of the main inhibitors to employment here.

1. Availability of housing - Job-seeker's won't come work for you if it costs more than their paycheck to live in your area

2. Driving License - Many governments require driving licenses,tax and insurance before anybody is allowed to drive. It has become this money making scheme for them. However there is no point in forcing job-seeker's to have them because the job-seekers can't afford them but still have to drive to work and logically the government doesn't lose anything in taxes to let them drive.

3. Employers are lazy - The idea that they won't train people anymore they will let them accrue massive student loans first.

2. Driving License - Many governments require driving licenses,tax and insurance before anybody is allowed to drive. It has become this money making scheme for them. However there is no point in forcing job-seeker's to have them because the job-seekers can't afford them but still have to drive to work and logically the government doesn't lose anything in taxes to let them drive.

This isn't an inhibitor, it's a regulation I'm very glad is in place. You're dealing with more than a ton of high-speed equipment capable of killing people. If not properly trained, licensed, and insured against catastrophe, all those cars pose a great risk to me and my family. And the government needs to charge for it to pay for enforcement. That seems intuitive enough.

How much does it cost to get a driver's license where you live? Why can't job-seekers afford them?

How much does it cost to get a driver's license where you live? Why can't job-seekers afford them?

Here in the UK the average cost of a getting a license, car and insurance is nearly £6,800 ($9,692).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/motorinsurance/11340679/Young-driver-Thatll-cost-6768-car-insurance-is-not-the-only-rising-expense.html

Here in the UK the average cost of a getting a license, car and insurance is nearly £6,800 ($9,692).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/motorinsurance/11340679/Young-driver-Thatll-cost-6768-car-insurance-is-not-the-only-rising-expense.html

The OP didn't seem to question the purchase of a car, just that it required licensing before one could drive it. I don't think this becomes an issue until one actually has a car. If you don't, you take public transportation or make other arrangements. So how much for just license and insurance?

And if you have a job and a car, why don't you want insurance on it? Which jobs allow you to pay for an accident if you have no insurance?

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/blog/the-cost-of-learning-to-drive/

According to new research by MoneySupermarket it will cost the average learner £2,741 ($3,907) to gain their full qualification.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/young-drivers

The average cost for a 17-22 year-old is already at £1,357 ($1,933)/yr.

Insurance here is mandatory.

Insurance here is mandatory.

Here too, and I'm glad. Dealing with an uninsured motorist who runs into your car is a lesson in frustration. They get the benefits of driving a car, but no responsibility to pay for damage they do.

Seriously, how do I get $40,000 in damages, and $30,000 in medical bills from someone working a job that won't allow them to buy insurance? That's why it's mandatory, because some folks don't plan for anything but blue skies and plum pudding.

Not a problem; the average UK salary is £26500.

Or are you going to accept that the average is meaningless in this context?

Indeed, I sometimes think it should be true of cyclists as well since they ride on the pavements, without consideration, I recently had to pay over £1,000 on vet bills when one hit my dog.

In the UK riding on the pavement is illegal (though it's also very common)

3. Employers are lazy - The idea that they won't train people anymore they will let them accrue massive student loans first.

Employers are frugal, not lazy. If they think someone should be able to do a job with half a day's training, they aren't going to pay to train them. This is often a stupid decision, but it isn't really lazy. They have to go through a lot of employees to find the ones that can make do with minimal training, which actually means more work for them. If they trained people the right way, they probably wouldn't have turnover problems, and wouldn't need to keep going to the expense of hiring more people.

I don't think your employer gives a squeaky fart about your student loans. Those are yours.

A while back, I thought of a scenario that seemed to be a possibility. Big corporate employers would start scouting future employees in high school, and offer to pay for their college if they agreed to work for a contracted period of time afterwards. Then the corporation makes it easy to get a company loan for a new house, and pretty soon you can't leave them because you owe them too much and have too many obligations. In a case like that, where the corporation knows you aren't going to take their training to a different job, they'll probably be more likely to train you better.

In the UK there are sponsored degrees, where they do pay some of your fees and living expenses. These are most commonly the military though.

Some companies will also allow/pay fire what are called day release courses where your spend a day a week working on a college or university course. Or part time degrees, several of my friends at work are doing part time PhDs whilst working, supported by us.

Not a problem; the average UK salary is £26500.

Or are you going to accept that the average is meaningless in this context?

Not really, since a salary depends on employment.

In the UK riding on the pavement is illegal (though it's also very common)

So what’s your argument?