Higgs boson

Hyper

I know that CERN has discovered the Higgs boson and they explained how it affect matter (the Higgs field is universal and there are a lot of these particles bumping into matter giving them mass) they explained that but what they haven't explained or discover is the anti-higgs boson and how it works. So far my understanding of the universe of particle is if their is positive side their always has to be negative side. As always thank you for taking part.

Edited by Hyper

So far my understanding of the universe of particle is if their is positive side their always has to be negative side. As always thank you for taking part.

In the simplest models, and the one that seems to be realised in nature, we have a single Higgs boson that is electrically neutral. And so as Mordred says, the Higgs is its own antiparticle.

Other models where we have a H+ and a H- have been proposed. I am not sure right now what the experimental status of these more complicated models is. People are still looking for signs of a charged Higgs.

You have to look at the type of quarks for composite particles. For example a Neutron though electric charge neutral isn't its own antiparticle as it is composed of antiquarks. Which gives it an opposite baryon number.

Quarks having electric charge

Edited by Mordred

I am not saying that higgs boson does not exist. When I first heard about the discovery three things came into my mind one It could have been a gravitational anomaly two it must have an anti-part and three I don't think the purpose of higgs boson is supposed to give mass to matter the prediction correct but it's purpose might have been wrong.

The reason why I am saying this is because a photon of light has no mass but it's still is attracted by a blackhole and gravity attract to masses together but light has no mass how can light be attracted unless light is also interacting with higgs boson "evidence is from the standard model of elementary particles".

I hope you all understand what I am trying to say thank you for taking part.

Edited by Hyper

I am not saying that higgs boson does not exist. When I first heard about the discovery three things came into my mind one It could have been a gravitational anomaly two it must have an anti-part and three I don't think the purpose of higgs boson is supposed to give mass to matter the prediction correct but it's purpose might have been wrong.

But the reason that the Higgs mechanism was proposed was to explain the mass of particles. So it seems odd to say its purpose might be wrong.

The reason why I am saying this is because a photon of light has no mass but it's still is attracted by a blackhole and gravity attract to masses together but light has no mass how can light be attracted unless light is also interacting with higgs boson "evidence is from the standard model of elementary particles".

Photons have energy but not mass. Mass and energy are both causes of (and affected by) gravity/spacetime-curvature.

Gravity is far too weak to account for what was seen when the Higgs was discovered.

I know that CERN has discovered the Higgs boson and they explained how it affect matter (the Higgs field is universal and there are a lot of these particles bumping into matter giving them mass)

Note that this description of the Higgs mechanism is just a crude analogy. The "cocktail party" analogy (which it seems to be based on) is due to Peter Higgs, but it isn't clear to me that it is an accurate description of the mathematical model. On the other hand, I don't think it is possible to give a clear description of the model!

Photon have energy but not mass. Mass and energy are both causes of (and affected by) gravity/spacetime-curvature.

Then you are breaking one of the universal law I think by defining energy as a completely a different thing, energy cannot be on its own it needs to have a physical vessel of some sort.

Edited by Hyper

Then you are breaking one of the universal law I think by defining energy as a completely a different thing, energy cannot be on its own it needs to have a physical vessel of some sort.

Why do you think that?

Photons are massless, in the sense that they have 0 rest mass. They do, however, have momentum.

Edited by Daecon

A photon has energy. There's nothing controversial abut that statement. That's not energy "on its own" but arguably it's not in a physical vessel, either. I'm not sure what law you think you are citing. Energy is a property of things, and is a property of photons (along with momentum, polarization and being massless and having zero charge).

Why do you think that?

Photons are massless, in the sense that they have 0 rest mass. They do, however, have momentum.

I am just responding to strange reply. I know they have no mass because they are rest less they are all ways moving but however they do have mass and that mass is mass-energy without it a blackhole would not be able to attract light and this mean's that the higgs boson need's interact with light inorder to give mass to light which does not make any sense. This confusion concluded that mass is just a measure of energy.

Note that the Higgs mechanism is not the only (or even the most significant) source of mass.

Photons do not interact with the Higgs field and do not have rest mass. But they do have energy.

Nearly all the mass of an atom, for example, comes from the energy holding the protons and neutrons together. Only a small proportion comes from the quarks interaction with the Higgs mechanism.

I am just responding to strange reply. I know they have no mass because they are rest less they are all ways moving but however they do have mass and that mass is mass-energy without it a blackhole would not be able to attract light and this mean's that the higgs boson need's interact with light inorder to give mass to light which does not make any sense. This confusion concluded that mass is just a measure of energy.

Mass is a form of energy, but it's not the only form of energy. Using relativity's definitions, object with motion (i.e. they have momentum) have energy as well. For a photon, its energy is E = pc

(You might get a better reception from folks if you would ask questions about things rather than make proclamations that are wrong. It'll be less confrontational)

A big confusion most people have is thinking mass is from just one source.

Mass is essentially resistance to inertia...

What this entails is that any interactions that has a binding or attractive force can provide that resistance.

This leads to numerous possible sources of mass.

For example the Higgs field only interacts with a small list of the SM particles. W+, W-,Z bosons. These bosons are the the mediator gauge bosons.

Quarks and leptons gain a small portion of mass from the Higgs field due to their interaction with the weak field. Of which the mediator is above.

So although they acquire mass from the Higgs field it not due to directly interacting with the Higgs field but via the mediator bosons.

take for example quarks confined in a proton. Only a miniscule amount of the protons mass comes from the quarks interactions with the Higgs field (albeit indirect).

Protons mass.

938.272046 MeV/c^2

made up of 2 up and one down quark.

Let's look at mass of each quark.

up quark.

2.3 MeV/c^2*2=4.6 MeV/c^2

down quark.

4.8 MeV/c^2

Total 5.4 MeV/c^2. Works out to less than 1% the mass of the proton is from the Higgs field indirect interaction.

The majority of the rest mass of the proton comes from the strong force, which has no interactions with the Higgs sector.

The rest mass of a proton is a measure of its combined resistance to inertia due to its various field interactions. In essence it has more than one source of mass.

When you interact with spacetime (gravity) this provides another source of gaining mass. At one time we called this relativistic mass but that term caused too much confusion.

Now it's commonly called inertial mass.

The atom itself has electromagnetic mass.

hope this helps

Now the Higgs sector itself

The Higgs field has 4 components. One can treat these as four seperate scalar fields.

[latex]\phi_1,\phi_2,\phi_3,\phi_4[/latex].

Prior to electroweak symmetry break these fields all have a non zero field value.

when the weak symmetry break occurs.

[latex]\phi_2,\phi_3,\phi_4[/latex]

Couple to the w+,W-,and z gauge bosons. Essentially they become gobbled up by the weak field.

The non zero vacuum today portion is the

[latex]\phi_1[/latex] field

Edited by Mordred

• 3 weeks later...

All of you guys don't understand what I am trying to say.

!

Moderator Note

Protip: Follow up a statement like this with what you're really trying to say (perhaps using standard definitions, maybe break down the details). It saves lots of posts asking you what you're really trying to say.

Just sayin'. No need to respond to this note. You know what you have to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope.

- The elementary particles in the Standard Model (i.e. all known / experimentally verified elementary particles) get their mass from the interaction with a constant background field.

- The Higgs Boson is an excitation of that background field around this constant value. The interactions of the Higgs Boson and the particles of the Standard Model do not contribute to the particles' masses

- Non-elementary particles also get some of their mass from the binding energy of their constituents

... and no one in the science community really calls the Higgs Boson "god particle".