Telekinesis, telepathy and their impact on science [Absolutely NONE]

Eldad Eshel

I am not blowing on it .. if I was you could hear it in the audio.

It could just be your natural breathing. And the fact you seem to need to have your hands near it suggest that either they are directing your breath or, as I say, it is convection. Or both of those.

I assume you can't make it move when you are sitting on the other side of the room?

I hope you now realise that, with plenty of mundane possibilities, there is no reason to consider telekinesis. (Unless you can eliminate those alternatives. But your one attempt with a glass bowl just confirms that it is something mundane.)

I can't see his face while it is spinning.

This is the kind of parameters I was talking about.

How about this? If he puts a clear glass bowl over the apparatus to remove air currents and heat transfer, and shows us all sides of the paper so we can see there are no metal strips that could be affected by a magnet, and let us examine the toothpick to make sure it's just wood, we isolate most of the outside effects that could move the spinner. If you can do this in a single shot with no jump cuts or turning off the camera, it would also help.

Any ideas for isolating vibrations from the table? If this can be done, I'd be much more impressed if he can make the spinner move, no matter how close he stands.

Making it spin from far is another notch of difficulty, I have been able to do this a few times, but it is much harder.

How do you separate actually having done it from random events (breezes, etc.)? That you've only managed to do it a few times (out of how many attempts?) suggests that it is nothing more than chance.

I don't think you should discount it so soon.

It does nothing to remove the effects of his hands and the heat associated with him, and a mask still allows for respiration at a reduced rate, so it's not removing all the air flow. Since it's such an obvious process objection, why do you think he should use it? We're just going to object that he hasn't removed as much outside influence as he could.

It does nothing to remove the effects of his hands and the heat associated with him, and a mask still allows for respiration at a reduced rate, so it's not removing all the air flow. Since it's such an obvious process objection, why do you think he should use it? We're just going to object that he hasn't removed as much outside influence as he could.

When I looked at the videos, particularly the first one, I thought I saw him blowing onto it. Yet when I rechecked it I didn't see the same. Was that bit edited out or was I mistaken? That is why I would like to see it being done with a mask. Then we are just left with the heat of the hands.

When I looked at the videos, particularly the first one, I thought I saw him blowing onto it. Yet when I rechecked it I didn't see the same. Was that bit edited out or was I mistaken? That is why I would like to see it being done with a mask. Then we are just left with the heat of the hands.

As I already said, I did no editing besides flip the video.

What this boils down to is that if you expect scientific approval, you have to remove all kinds of outside influences that might possibly have an effect. That's all on you. If you haven't done this, you can't eliminate mundane reasons for the motion.

Another limitation you can have, as I am reminded of from reading about the debunking of James Hydrick's claims (probably from a book by or about James Randi, since he's the one who debunked): Put other objects around the device that would also be disturbed by air currents, and make the object rotate but not disturb the other objects. Hydrick was able to move objects, but not when polystyrene chips were placed nearby. Because it was done with air currents.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-235636.html

After that, you would need to do a systematic test (e.g. make it go clockwise or counterclockwise on cue). But I suspect that will not be necessary.

What this boils down to is that if you expect scientific approval, you have to remove all kinds of outside influences that might possibly have an effect. That's all on you. If you haven't done this, you can't eliminate mundane reasons for the motion.

Another limitation you can have, as I am reminded of from reading about the debunking of James Hydrick's claims (probably from a book by or about James Randi, since he's the one who debunked): Put other objects around the device that would also be disturbed by air currents, and make the object rotate but not disturb the other objects. Hydrick was able to move objects, but not when polystyrene chips were placed nearby. Because it was done with air currents.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-235636.html

After that, you would need to do a systematic test (e.g. make it go clockwise or counterclockwise on cue). But I suspect that will not be necessary.

You see me and this Hydrick are nothing alike. I consider myself a wannabe scientist, I want to learn and research and help advance science. I am by no means a "fraud guy" or some magician, and I don't take interest in illusionary magic, such as common stage magicians practise. I want to improve my telekinesis and telepathic abilities and bring them to trial in front of academics, with the major goal of advancing science and our general knowledge of the world we live in.

You see me and this Hydrick are nothing alike. I consider myself a wannabe scientist, I want to learn and research and help advance science. I am by no means a "fraud guy" or some magician, and I don't take interest in illusionary magic, such as common stage magicians practise. I want to improve my telekinesis and telepathic abilities and bring them to trial in front of academics, with the major goal of advancing science and our general knowledge of the world we live in.

if you want to be a scientist, then you have to establish with proper procedures that you have these abilities. In that sense, you and Hydrick are alike: you have made similar claims. So the tests that were good enough to expose him should be good enough to establish your bona-fides. Or lack thereof.

if you want to be a scientist, then you have to establish with proper procedures that you have these abilities. In that sense, you and Hydrick are alike: you have made similar claims. So the tests that were good enough to expose him should be good enough to establish your bona-fides. Or lack thereof.

I would be "debunked" only if it were really some common physical phenomenon, like the heat from my hands or air currents. Hydrick is/was a magician using a trick, the only trick in my case would be the world tricking ME.

Edited by Eldad Eshel

I would be "debunked" only if it were really some common physical phenomenon, like the heat from my hands or air currents. Hydrick is/was a magician using a trick, the only trick in my case would be the world tricking ME.

Forget the accusations of you "tricking" us, and move forward with your experimentation. The suggestions made will help you convince skeptics you're doing this with your mind, or show that something you simply forgot to take into account is responsible.

We should all accept that you're not deceiving us until there is evidence of that. Let's move on.

Until you do this under proper testing conditions, you have shown nothing. It's up to you to demonstrate this conclusively. There is no provisional acceptance, as there is no proper evidence that common physical phenomena aren't responsible.

I would be "debunked" only if it were really some common physical phenomenon, like the heat from my hands or air currents.

And so far, your experiments are consistent with that being the case. The experiment you have done to eliminate these causes (the glass jar) stopped the effect. As far as I am concerned you are "debunked" already.

I see absolutely no reason to consider that anything extraordinary is happening here. You would need to provide a water-tight experiment that allowed no other influences before I would consider adding psychic abilities to the list of possibilities.

You would need to provide a water-tight experiment that allowed no other influences before I would consider adding psychic abilities to the list of possibilities.

I'm thinking the big glass bowl on a small portable flat base so he can place that on a multi-folded blanket or something that will remove vibrations from the table/building. Place the camera so we can see everything he does, no flipping or jump cuts or hand-held shakiness. Maybe add some clear tape around the base to seal the bowl, and stay at least a meter away from the apparatus while he's trying to move the wheel.

And swansont had an excellent point earlier, Eldad. Since you're trying to move this with your mind, can you use a wheel that isn't designed to take maximum advantage of heat and air currents?

Again, if you can do this and there's no evidence of outside influence, it advances your idea and gives it more strength. This is how science tests phenomena.