Anti-gravity vehicle

capada

I have question here :Suppose that I build anti-gravity vehicle,is it possible to move that vehicle in earth atmosphere or in space:

1. By using earth electromagnetism

2. By using universe electromagnetism or other universe forces.

Edited by capada

welcom to the forum.

i would offer the idea that electromagnetic and gravitic are different.

i would also suggest that different conditions require vehicles tailored to them.

a electromagnetic powered vehicle could effectively use the surrounding field of the earth for propusion and areas in space where there is enough medium to apply force.

right now we cannot fullfill the requirements for such designs because on earth there is a power to weight issue and in space there has to be enough matter distribution in the area so that a realistic sized field can be used as larger ones require more power.

note that my consideration is on a drive that uses an external field to do work.

as far as gravity is concerned, i am reminded of the alcubier drive http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive.

in my personal opinion, such a drive will not work although it has good math.

fact is, we ourselves are in a gravitational field but still have to acknowledge the light constant.

Edited by davidivad

I don't know how much you know but be careful with this concept. Electromagnetism is much stronger than gravitational force so it's understandable that people speculate that this may be utilised for some antigravity device however, there are people running around on the internet claiming that gravity is electromagnetism. This is unfounded.

Edit: (sorry for the slight overlap with davidivad was typing whilst he posted his reply)

Edited by physica

I am not a physicist,I am not a mathematician but just a simple sea captain(retired) with a lot of imagination and intuition but eager to learn new things.

For many years (30-40) I have in my mind how to neutralize Earth gravity.Upon a time did some experiments and it was partly working but have to do more experiments to make it fully working.

That's why I posed the question of propulsion on magnetic forces, be it in Earth environment(Earth magnetism)or in space (universe magnetism or other universe forces).I am aware that both forces are quite weak for propulsion but with appropriate accumulation and augmentation of those forces the propulsion could eventually be possible.

I have question here :Suppose that I build anti-gravity vehicle,is it possible to move that vehicle in earth atmosphere or in space:

If you postulate something that violates the laws of physics, you can come to just about any conclusion you want. So you would not be looking at antigravity, which doesn't exist.

If you postulate something that violates the laws of physics, you can come to just about any conclusion you want. So you would not be looking at antigravity, which doesn't exist.

OK how to name than a vehicle floating in Earth atmosphere?

Balloon.

Earth's magnetic field is far too weak to push against another magnet sufficiently to lift it, whether it's an electromagnet or permanent magnetic. If it were, magnets would float.

Balloon.

Earth's magnetic field is far too weak to push against another magnet sufficiently to lift it, whether it's an electromagnet or permanent magnetic. If it were, magnets would float.

I never said that floating vehicle has anything to do with magnetism.

I never said that floating vehicle has anything to do with magnetism.

You did.

If there was no gravity and your device was like a magnet I think it would move in the Earths magnetic field. The trick would be to make it move in a useful direction? Magnets tend to align and move to the lowest energy position so you'd find yourself drawn to one or other magnetic pole. They are not a good place to end up in my opinion.

If there was no gravity and your device was like a magnet I think it would move in the Earths magnetic field. The trick would be to make it move in a useful direction? Magnets tend to align and move to the lowest energy position so you'd find yourself drawn to one or other magnetic pole. They are not a good place to end up in my opinion.

But there is gravity (and no such thing as 'like a magnet') so your trickiness is useless.

But there is gravity (and no such thing as 'like a magnet') so your trickiness is useless.

The anti-gravity device means that it was able to cancel gravity between it and the Earth. A magnet is like a magnet and the Earth is also like a magnet isn't it? A craft could be made like a magnet too.

The anti-gravity device means that it was able to cancel gravity between it and the Earth. A magnet is like a magnet and the Earth is also like a magnet isn't it? A craft could be made like a magnet too.

:huh: A thing either is a magnet or it is not a magnet. Your WAG and the OP's WAG is useless.

If it's truly floating, then you have neutral buoyancy. Otherwise, the generic term for a force that gets you off the ground would be lift or thrust. You have a force that counteracts that of gravity, but that countering force is not gravitational in nature. You are making the net force be zero; force is a vector, so you have a force the same size, but acting in the opposite direction. e.g. an escalator or elevator lifts you up, but these are not antigravity devices.

What do you know about my wives and girlfriends? WAG = wives and girlfriends

WAG = Wild-Ass Guess

As I said earlier this vehicle is floating,be it 1cm above the ground or 2 mts above the ground whereever I positioned it.

I never said the gravity is neutralized by magnetic force.

I just asked how to move that vehicle by magnetic or any other cosmic force.

As I said earlier this vehicle is floating,be it 1cm above the ground or 2 mts above the ground whereever I positioned it.

I never said the gravity is neutralized by magnetic force.

I just asked how to move that vehicle by magnetic or any other cosmic force.

If you ever discovered a true anti-gravity machine, one that was able to bend spacetime in the local area, you would end up using the same mechanism for propulsion as well. You'd just have to make the spacetime fabric the right slope in front of you.

Such devices (balloons) have smaller density than air. Density is mass divided by volume.

But density of air is not constant but changing with altitude.

So at some higher altitude air will have again smaller density than balloon, disallowing it to fly above this limit.

Balloon with attached engines is called Airship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airship

(therefor you can control it and fly where you want)

The most famous was Hindenburg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LZ_129_Hindenburg

If you want to make something floating in air, increase volume, with same mass as before.

f.e. suppose so we have tank with liquid Hydrogen, heat it, and it'll become gas, and fill balloon and whole device will start flying.

If you want to land, cool it down and balloon will decrease volume.

Edited by Sensei

Would you all mind if I stepped in and asked a question?

I have been thinking about anti gravity a bit. Besides issues of creating such a field. If someone were to create such a bubble. What would even keep that bubble here on earth? Understanding that we are spinning at around 1000 miles per at the equator adding to that we are orbiting the sun and universe at thousands of times faster still. You have just nullified the force that holds you here on earth. If its just that the bubble and the earth are traveling at the same relative speed the slightest nudge should send the bubble off into space fairly fast. Nudging it to the east would it go into space faster? I guess that would depend on what part of the rotation of the earth we were in. While we perceive we are stationary. Actually it is far from it.

Kind of like creating a transporter or a time machine. You had better be able to calculate where you arrive at that instance. Getting all the motion vectors absolutely correct on that not so stationary planet or you have what I like to call the smear effect. You end up being smeared on the face of the planet or at best floating in space missing the planet completely. It would be something like jumping onto a spinning merry-go-round from a dead stop.

Oh so many problems with science fiction. Cool stuff because the imagination can go wild. At some point there are real issues. What do you think would happen to the anti gravity bubble?