How do I fix a cracked LCD?

TJ McCaustland

I would advise against it. Replace the screen. Well that's if you feel confident enough in replacing it. Sometimes LCD screens can have liquids in them you shouldn't be handling and you might have a leak. Should you get liquid on you wash it off well with soapy water.

Edited by fiveworlds

Changing a broken screen is not difficult and takes about 20 minutes.

Depending upon the laptop a new screen can cost from £30 to £90, although the laptop manufacturer would probably charge between £150 and £250.

You said it was an old laptop and screens for many old laptops are no longer available, though some suppliers supply modern substitutes.

You can also find laptops of similar models that are broken for some other reason eg failed motherboard very cheaply and do a transplant that way.

You will need a few of the correct tools and some care in handling the parts however.

Edited by studiot

Just about all 15.4" widescreen displays are standardized, they have common screw holes ( along the side ), common connector on back and common resolution ( 1280x800 pixels ). Other sizes, not so much.

Replacement is extremely easy. Open laptop. Remove covers over screws of display shell and separate. Remove screws from side of sealed ( there is no liquid to worry about ) panel. Unplug connector from back of panel. Replace panel with new ( or used ) reversing steps.

Note:- About 4-5 yrs ago they went from fluorescent to LED illumination, the LED being thinner. If you get the wrong one, it may not fit properly in the display shell.

Edited by MigL

The fact that it is a relatively old laptop can work for you or against you. It can be helpful since the price for a similar one would be a fraction of what it was when it was new, especially if it is used (which is probably going to be the only way you will find it). Even better would be if you could find the same laptop, or one similar enough, that is being sold "as-is" due to a defect in a part that is unrelated to the screen, but the screen is the most delicate part, so that may also be hard to find. The way in which it being old can work against you is: if it's not only old but also a model that wasn't popular, it may be hard to find at all.

Check eBay for the same model number or the screen itself. Also, a laptop similar in age isn't going to be expensive, unless it is an Apple product. For $300 you can get a laptop with an AMD A6-4400m APU (CPU + graphics chip in one) that is relatively amazing for its price, given that it can run 3D games better than anything in its price range. $300 is the price for it new, too. I doubt you want to hear anything about buying a new one, though. So check eBay and Amazon. I find that eBay is better for used electronics.

If you choose to do something besides repair it, you can take the hard drive out of it and collect your data off of it pretty easily if you have a desktop computer. You may also be able to just plug the laptop into a desktop monitor and run it as normal, allowing you to rescue your files that way.

What is the laptop's manufacturer and brand? I may be able to help you find a screen.

(Edited the name of the APU; forgot a zero.)

Edited by skylord

• 2 weeks later...