Any ideas for an Iron Man Suit?

Tzurain

Greetings everyone. If you happen to be reading this thread, does anyone of you have any ideas on building an Iron Man Suit?
The suit should include:

-Ventilation
-Propulsion
-Energy Source
-Information Access
-Others you can think of :P

I'm doing a compilation of ideas, and might make one if possible :D

Your ideas can be wacky if they want to be, but preferably following the laws of current scientific theory. :3

Thanks for your help ^^

Following the laws of science, the suit as depicted in the movies is probably not possible. Energy source, propulsion, weaponry are all iffy at best.

Even if the suit itself were possible, survival using the suit is not possible, as depicted in the movie. The movies ignore all of the impact-related (or other g-force) damage you would undergo, against which the suit would not offer much protection. It's science fiction, based on a cartoon.

Hey I'm going to explore the space with my new photovoltaic propulsion-ufo.

If you want to come with me: 1E6 $$$$......

We can find a new electronic configuration of atoms so new materials. Practically a new chemistry!!!!!!

Materials can be very very very interesting!!!!!!

Following the laws of science, the suit as depicted in the movies is probably not possible. Energy source, propulsion, weaponry are all iffy at best.

Even if the suit itself were possible, survival using the suit is not possible, as depicted in the movie. The movies ignore all of the impact-related (or other g-force) damage you would undergo, against which the suit would not offer much protection. It's science fiction, based on a cartoon.

I still have my hopes up :wacko:

Hey I'm going to explore the space with my new photovoltaic propulsion-ufo.

If you want to come with me: 1E6 $$$$......

We can find a new electronic configuration of atoms so new materials. Practically a new chemistry!!!!!!

Materials can be very very very interesting!!!!!!

Sure. :3

Currently our best method for propulsion as seen in the Iron Man movies is rocketry. Looking at amateur rockets which are typically in the size-range of an Iron Man suit, you have just a couple of seconds of propulsion before the fuel runs out, and you do not have any payload (whereas in Iron Man movies there is a human being as payload, who is probably at least 70 kg).

You might want to try using jet engines instead. That's less like in the movies, but a LOT more efficient because you don't have to carry all your oxygen around. Some people use jet powered wingsuits. That is probably as close as you're gonna get to the Iron Man suit with existing technology.

The best method currently available to get any time up in the air at high speeds and with some weaponry is a jet fighter. The smallest jet aircraft is (according to wikipedia) the BD-5B, which has a maximum take-off weight of over 500 kg, which is probably a little heavier than you imagine an Iron Man suit to be. Also, walking around in it is not gonna happen.

The original Iron Man power supply was 3 GW. That's three good-sized commercial nuke plants' worth. There's no mention of what the fuel is, but probably some sort of fusion, catalyzed by the palladium. The thermodynamics of this — the required waste heat — would bake the wearer pretty quickly.

As CP has noted, the flight is all wrong. The suit can't carry enough fuel on it to last more than a few seconds, so you have to go with some sort of heating/ionization of the air. But that's a problem, because his suit still seems to work in thin or no atmosphere.

There is also the question of aerodynamics of the human body, or lack thereof.

There are many instances of pulling many g's, including crashing into things, that the suit does not protect you from. In reality, Tony probably would not have walked away from (or possibly even survived) the desert crash of his first suit. Not that he would have gotten that far; the suit is probably not as bullet-proof as portrayed.

It's a movie. We suspend our disbelief.

The US Army (supposedly) has a version, but I don't think they ever considered making it fly. Looks like a lot of hype, but recruitment probably went up when they announced they were designing one.

There probably is going to be some version coming out(though nowhere near Iron Man levels). Weight levels have gotten ridiculous as of late and we're reaching the limits of what purely human bodies can support for long periods(especially with modern physical fitness levels).

I've been hearing about versions for use in industrial environments as well. Should be interesting to see how the technology develops.

Like all the air?

Where would you put the magnets?

The whole suit is an will be an electromagnet so the user, can control which part of the suit will have magnetic material.

Not sure how it's possible to interface this though. (As in control which parts will activate etc)

I've been hearing about versions for use in industrial environments as well. Should be interesting to see how the technology develops.

Like the awesome enhancement suit Ripley wore in Aliens?

aliens-exoskeleton.jpg

Much more doable than an Iron Man suit, imo.

Exactly what I was thinking.

You know, even if you had a viable power source for an Iron Man suit, and could somehow overcome the impact-related problems, you'd still never have the seemingly unlimited supply of missiles and other weaponry Stark has. I'd rather have an exoskeletal enhancement suit like Ripley's instead. Ever since the summer I watched a Bobcat artist transform the empty lot across from where I worked, I've looked in vain for projects I could do that would require me to rent one. But I could think of lots of things I could do today if only I had a Ripley suit.

You know, even if you had a viable power source for an Iron Man suit, and could somehow overcome the impact-related problems, you'd still never have the seemingly unlimited supply of missiles and other weaponry Stark has.

That's an extension of the longstanding Hollywood tradition of the semi-infinite bullet supply; bullets only run out when it advances the plot or there's some cool dialog to be had (Ask yourself "Do I feel lucky?" Well do ya, punk?)

Oh that's easy! 2 cm sorbathane cusioning round the inside of the suit and you'll be fine! ;-)

(I was going to say the same)

.... although - what about the pressurised flight suits for high G-forces? They could improve over the4 next few decades to be incorperated into a Iron man suit. The worst part of the film is his first flight in the hashed together metal suit he builds in the terrorist camp.. As soon as it crashed I thought "DEAD!".... but he gets up and kills everyone. lol.

Pressurised flight suits only work for low sustained Gs, not for high instantaneous Gs such as impacts.

They work by squeezing your body to keep your head supplied with blood.

Lack of blood to the brain results in tunnel vision and, shortly after, unconsciousness. Not a good thing when maneuvering a high performance military jet. This is extremely common these days, as most military fighters are stressed and can maneuver to +9/-3 Gs; much more than a pilot can handle for any length of time.

The first time I recall it happening was during demonstration of the Northrup F-20 ( neverwent into production ) in the 80s. The pilot was killed.

Well IIRC 'Doc' replaced the 2.1 GW Flux Capacitor of the deLorean with a burst of lightning...

So during the next lightning storm, fly a kite with a metal or conductive string.

You'll be flying in no time !!!