Circumcisions

too-open-minded

This mostly goes out to the parents here on SF and anyone else who has an opinion on the subject.

Circumcisions, did you choose to or not with your child?

Personally I don't think circumcisions are necessary and are only a cosmetic cultural practice that has transcended from outdated religious practices to make sex less frequent and pleasurable. We chose not to circumcise our son, my significant other was going to at first but I was against it. I'm circumcised and never really thought a whole deal about it until recently.

My standpoint on it is mainly this - The foreskin is meant to be there, it provides slack while being 1/3 of the penis skin. It has 20,000 nerves (Not sure if that's much larger significance than normal skin.) Circumcisions have caused problems, some men complain that their erections hurt because too much skin was cut off for it to heal properly. I don't care what my sons penis looks like, if he dislikes it that much he can get a circumcision when it's his choice.

Never though a whole lot about it until recently like I said, Chastity my soon to be wife is a gung-ho activist for informing moms about circumcisions and has even changed the minds of a few.

Anyways, does anyone care to have an opinion on the matter?

Edited by too-open-minded

Disease(STD's, UTI, etc.) issues with remaining uncircumcised.

Think poorly maintained location in an area exposed to a number of disease vectors. You don't even need any studies to imagine what is probable down the road. CDC website is probably the best source of info on the subject.

Often religions are filled with bull, other times people have chanced upon an intelligent behavior and are explaining the necessity in religious terms.

People have no right (not referring to legal rights) to cut parts off their children's bodies (unless for medical reasons, which doesn't apply here). It's a very barbaric practice that should be banned world wide.

People have no right (not referring to legal rights) to cut parts off their children's bodies (unless for medical reasons, which doesn't apply here). It's a very barbaric practice that should be banned world wide.

A world wide blanket ban would just mean, in areas such as described by Endy0816, people would suffer as a result; I’d much rather the parents do it for the right reasons, rather than being told to dogmatically.

BTW I agree in terms of females.

Often religions are filled with bull, other times people have chanced upon an intelligent behavior and are explaining the necessity in religious terms.

Still, times and circumstances change. What was intelligent behavior for Iron Age Middle Eastern civilization might be different for too-open-minded's son in 21st century USA.

Still, times and circumstances change. What was intelligent behavior for Iron Age Middle Eastern civilization might be different for too-open-minded's son in 21st century USA.

Mostly talking in terms of practicing good hygiene(origin: Goddess Hygieia). That might change someday but we still have a ways to go.

They didn't have a logical reason to start these practices. Ritual purification, circumcision, covering your mouth when coughing, etc. But at the same time they led to improved circumstances.

Certainly don't need to look at it or explain it in religious terms anymore.

"We did it so you wouldn't need to suffer the pain later and decrease your risk of contracting disease. As sexual activity is frequently engaged in prior to adulthood, we felt it necessary to make the decision for you. Yes, son, it could have gone awry but those cases are the rare exceptions and not the norm."

No reason for people to get emotional about it. The risk involved in not being circumcised is X. If I could, I'd make that risk go away and nobody would need to be circumcised. Sadly I lack this ability so we're all stuck debating.

Edited by Endy0816

Mostly talking in terms of practicing good hygiene(origin: Goddess Hygieia). That might change someday but we still have a ways to go.

But in infants, keeping the foreskin intact is more hygienic. It's designed to keep feces and other contaminants away from the penis. It shouldn't be retracted to clean the penis until it separates from the head and retracts sometime between three years of age and the onset of puberty. It's a good design, but may have been more problematic in desert environments with lots of sand and not much water.

For juvenile and adult males in Western countries, regular bathing and the use of condoms prevents most of the problems people tend to associate with not being circumcised.

But in infants, keeping the foreskin intact is more hygienic. It's designed to keep feces and other contaminants away from the penis. It shouldn't be retracted to clean the penis until it separates from the head and retracts sometime between three years of age and the onset of puberty. It's a good design, but may have been more problematic in desert environments with lots of sand and not much water.

For juvenile and adult males in Western countries, regular bathing and the use of condoms prevents most of the problems people tend to associate with not being circumcised.

Indeed. And so my son will keep his genitals unmutilated. The benefits outweigh the risks (you missed natural lubrication and that it is the most sensitive part) and the risks are completely removed if one bathes and uses condoms (which everyone should).

They why are medical costs are expected to climb in the US as a result of the decrease in the number of circumcisions? I just don't want to see our society(and more to the point, individuals) suffer as a consequence.

If we could count on people to always do the right thing, then we wouldn't have half the issues we do have.

Way too much sentimentality over it. There are a number of common medical procedures that people deemed mutilation in the past that we do everyday.

Honestly I don't think circumcisions could really effect medical costs. Intact penises are more hygenic. The only legitamite argument I hear is with the diseases and even then I don't understand how a lack of foreskin makes it less likely for you to contract a VD?

The only legitamite argument I hear is with the diseases and even then I don't understand how a lack of foreskin makes it less likely for you to contract a VD?

There was a time not too long ago when doctors told parents to clean uncircumcised penises by forcibly retracting the foreskin. This caused unnatural tearing, which resulted in a lot of infection. This may have formed the basis of the fears about disease and circumcision.

A world wide blanket ban would just mean, in areas such as described by Endy0816, people would suffer as a result; I’d much rather the parents do it for the right reasons, rather than being told to dogmatically.

BTW I agree in terms of females.

There is NO right reason besides a medical indication. Religion can go take a hike when it comes to integrity of children!

There is NO right reason besides a medical indication. Religion can go take a hike when it comes to integrity of children!

I’m not entirely sure what you’re trying to argue? Given you accept “a medical indication” is a right reason.