If we were created in God's image...

PokePat321

This question is for theists..

In most religions, religious texts say we were created in a deity's image. In that case, why did we evolve (It seems like random chance we turned out the way we did, only controlled by the habitat), and why will we keep evolving. If a god created us to be like them, and we evolved to get into the position we currently are, then why are we, and will be evolving, to change that? After all, it says we already are in His image.

Were Adam and Eve humans? I'm sure it says he created Man in his own image. Does Man mean human or is it a broader category (does it include stars and stuff?). I like to imagine Adam and Eve as two stars.

That one always stumped me, since so many people interpret it to mean God looks like us. I think the operative word is "image", or tselem in Hebrew. It's the same word used to describe the idols the false worshipers in Genesis made to other gods. It implies an inferior copy, a shadow, a reflection, a replica. But tselem is also used to describe offspring, so it has that context as well.

There are instances where tselem is used where the implication is more of an ethical image, implying that we're akin to God on a moral level. In any case, evolution is so much a part of the life on this planet that it could be implied that God is affected too, or would be if he chose to pass his genes along to offspring.

Another good question would be why does Jesus look white in almost every depiction, when he was a middle-eastern Jew. I'm guessing he wouldn't be quite so worshipped in the West if he resembled the stereotypical 'terrorist' look, which he almost certainly would have.

Edited by Iota

Well you could also read this as how God envisioned us to be. We, like any other thing (alive, lifeless or dead), are a product of his imagination. A very vivid one at that...*cough* platypus *cough*.

Edited by Fuzzwood

Actually I think in most religions (e.g. outside the related abrahamistic ones) there is little evidence that humans were formed after the mystical creators. In fact. In fact, if anything these forces were personified and if anything were modeled after humans, rather than the other way around. I.e, there is no reference with regards how the deities may have looked like but they are often depicted as humanoid.

There are other creation myths, of course that do not refer to humanoid beings per se, In the Haida tradition Raven has created humans, for example. Of course in their mythology the concept of humanoid does not make a lot of sense. The Australian aborigines have various creation myths surrounding Dreamtime in which shapes are but fleeting concepts. So especially with what Phi and others have said, the premise does not really hold.

!

Moderator Note

John Cuthber,

The OP wanted a discussion with a few givens. You ignored that wish. Your knee-jerk response is not contributing to this discussion at all, and could even be considered soap-boxing, as you bring nothing new to the table and you reply with a few phrases that you could literally put in any religious thread on our forum.

To me the magic word is "IN" gods image,

As i have mentioned in another post, that the universe is an electron,

Meaning every electron within us is a universe and each of those universes contain us,

We are within everything and everything is within us, We are multi-universal beings.

So we exist "within" gods image, whoever or however you see god.

post-79233-0-05315100-1395396806.gif