SFN Blogs Opened

Cap'n Refsmmat

Here's mine...http://blogs.scienceforums.net/Snail

I'm yet to add some content, (hopefully today) but the blog will be mainly physics based (including anything I think will be useful for others, as I work through my degree), new discoveries in science, and bad science. I'm also going to have a category with links to scientific articles in the press, where comments will be strongly encouraged. :)

Other than that, random thoughts, anything that catches my eye, general bloggy stuff...just to add, I am a weblog virgin :embarass:

• 2 weeks later...

Please note that the blogs have now been upgraded to the latest version of WordPress, meaning there are a few new features -- tags, for one. (Tags are kinda like categories, but you don't have to create them beforehand, and you can sprinkle them liberally on posts.)

If you spot any problems caused by this upgrade please post them here so I can take a look.

If you spot any problems caused by this upgrade please post them here so I can take a look.

The Logout link doesn't seem to work from within the blogs. I get a vBulletin Message which says:

An error occurred while attempting to log you out. Click here to log out.

Cheers.

The Logout link doesn't seem to work from within the blogs. I get a vBulletin Message which says:

Cheers.

Well, the login is linked to SFN... if you go to the blogs from SFN, or if you sign into SFN and then go to the blog, you'll be signed in.

Perhaps if you log out of SFN, you'll also be logged out of wordpress?

Another problem... can we not ping?

http://technorati.com/developers/ping/wordpress.html

Pinging to technorati could help increase our web traffic, by keeping technorati up to date with our posts...

However, There is no "update services" option in Wordpress. Is this broken because our Wordpress is linked to SFN, or is it a problem with the Wordpress software itself?

The Logout link doesn't seem to work from within the blogs.

Blast. It's vB's way of preventing people from providing links on the forum that'll log you out -- you have to have a logout "hash" in the URL to the login page to make it work. I need to figure out how that works.

Is there any way to view all new blog posts?

The SFN home page has the last five, and there's an RSS feed of the last 20.

Another problem... can we not ping?

http://technorati.com/developers/ping/wordpress.html

Pinging to technorati could help increase our web traffic, by keeping technorati up to date with our posts...

However, There is no "update services" option in Wordpress. Is this broken because our Wordpress is linked to SFN, or is it a problem with the Wordpress software itself?

WordPress MU doesn't let you customize that option. I looked in the main admin screen and it appears WordPress pings ping-o-matic automatically anyway.

Anemicpsycho is spamming the blogs. Everyone should enable the plugin.

For those that don't know, click Plugins on top and enable Spam Karma 2. WordPress comments are popular venues for spammers.

Blast. It's vB's way of preventing people from providing links on the forum that'll log you out -- you have to have a logout "hash" in the URL to the login page to make it work. I need to figure out how that works.

Well, much of that went over my head, but I trust that you're on the case. :)

Does WordPress support latex? It doesn't appear so at the following:

http://blogs.scienceforums.net/Snail/2008/02/19/physics-tutoriallatex/

Well, much of that went over my head, but I trust that you're on the case. :)

Does WordPress support latex? It doesn't appear so at the following:

http://blogs.scienceforums.net/Snail/2008/02/19/physics-tutoriallatex/

On the other hand

http://blogs.scienceforums.net/anewworld/2008/02/12/the-lagrangian-how-its-used/

I don't know. There is just something about blogs that smacks so much of opinionated, self aggrandizing egotism. I mean, when you are writing the blog, are you really thinking that people will find it interesting? "Oh wow, my readers are going to love this. Their lives will be changed forever!" There is so so so much rubbish one the web in the form of blogs. Do we really want to add to it?

I must admit to having the same felling about starting threads. Why would anyone be interested in my opinion? So I tend to find myself just responding to topics I feel strongly about, or correcting someone when they say something stupid, or just answering a question when I know the answer and think I can help clear up the confusion.

I don't know. There is just something about blogs that smacks so much of opinionated, self aggrandizing egotism. I mean, when you are writing the blog, are you really thinking that people will find it interesting? "Oh wow, my readers are going to love this. Their lives will be changed forever!" There is so so so much rubbish one the web in the form of blogs. Do we really want to add to it?

I must admit to having the same felling about starting threads. Why would anyone be interested in my opinion? So I tend to find myself just responding to topics I feel strongly about, or correcting someone when they say something stupid, or just answering a question when I know the answer and think I can help clear up the confusion.

I agree completly, I really don't like personal blogs, but I hope I can write at least semi interesting sciencey bits I pick up for people to read around the issue.....

I agree completly, I really don't like personal blogs, but I hope I can write at least semi interesting sciencey bits I pick up for people to read around the issue.....
I'd like to see more blogs about Lagrangian mechanics.