136 replies to this topic

#21 ecoli

ecoli

murderator

• Moderators
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 6 February 2008 - 06:09 AM

my blog isn't not letting me save or publish new entries, or assign categories to entries. What's the deal?

edit: it randomly started letting me publish again. But it's still telling my I don't have permission to add a category.
[14:02] <Sato> I
[14:02] <Sato> want
[14:02] <Sato> Schroedinger
[14:04] == Schroedingers_hat [~matt@CPE-121-222-209-157.lnse1.woo.bigpond.net.au] has joined #sfn

#22 Cap'n Refsmmat

Cap'n Refsmmat

Mr. Wizard

• Administrators
  • 11,758 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 6 February 2008 - 06:16 AM

Uh-oh.

I just tested and I can add categories, but I think some of the permissions are screwed up as it's not considering me a WordPress admin anymore.

I don't know what changed either. Time for investigation...

Cap'n Refsmmat
SFN Administrator

#23 ecoli

ecoli

murderator

• Moderators
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 6 February 2008 - 06:31 AM

I may not be able to make comments either. It doesn't seem to be working... unless swansont's comments require approval or something.
[14:04] == Schroedingers_hat [~matt@CPE-121-222-209-157.lnse1.woo.bigpond.net.au] has joined #sfn

#24 swansont

swansont

Evil Liar (or so I'm told)

• Moderators
  • 35,685 posts
  • LocationWashington DC region

Posted 6 February 2008 - 02:13 PM

I may not be able to make comments either. It doesn't seem to be working... unless swansont's comments require approval or something.

I think the default is that the first comment requires approval and after that you're good to go (unless you link to more than two URLs). But I would have expected an "awaiting moderation" notice to appear; I've seen those in other blogs.

FYI for ecoli and anybody doing science, but especially biology/medicine in their blogs:

Science web carnival, Tangled bank
http://tangledbank.net/
"The subject should be on biology, medicine, or natural history. We will define those categories very broadly, and it's sufficient that you show some passion for the science of the natural world."

You just submit a blog entry by email, and they link to it at somebody's blog. You could even host the Tangled bank, and get lots of traffic going to your own blog.

I submitted No Sweat and it was added for Tangled Bank #98

There is also the skeptic's circle blog carnival for skepticism blogs. http://blogcarnival....c/cprof_19.html

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum          To go to the fortress of ultimate darkness, click the up arrow ^

I am not a minimum-wage government shill.             Forget it, Jake — it's Crackpottown.

My SFN blog: Swans on Tea                                                           

#25 blike

blike

Where are my ponies?

• Administrators
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 6 February 2008 - 08:42 PM

ecoli: You might try logging out of sfn and back in. The two systems share the same cookie, so maybe that has something to do with it. It looks like you posted today, is everything sorted out now?

Has anyone else been having trouble?

Swanson, any idea how to go about hosting a tangled bank?

I think we may soon be adding a statistics module that lets you track your blog's stats (visitors, etc.) I need to check out how much it's going to tax the server first.
John
SFN Administrator

#26 swansont

swansont

• Moderators
  • 35,685 posts

Posted 7 February 2008 - 12:06 AM

Swanson, any idea how to go about hosting a tangled bank?

Drop PZ Myers a note

http://scienceblogs....submissions.php

It looks like they got a few more hosts lined up after the above plea.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum          To go to the fortress of ultimate darkness, click the up arrow ^

I am not a minimum-wage government shill.             Forget it, Jake — it's Crackpottown.

#27 Royston

Royston

Seņor Butt Monkey

• Senior Members
  • 2,669 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 7 February 2008 - 11:39 AM

Here's mine...http://blogs.scienceforums.net/Snail

I'm yet to add some content, (hopefully today) but the blog will be mainly physics based (including anything I think will be useful for others, as I work through my degree), new discoveries in science, and bad science. I'm also going to have a category with links to scientific articles in the press, where comments will be strongly encouraged. :)

Other than that, random thoughts, anything that catches my eye, general bloggy stuff...just to add, I am a weblog virgin :embarass:

#28 Cap'n Refsmmat

Cap'n Refsmmat

Mr. Wizard

• Administrators
  • 11,758 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:35 AM

Please note that the blogs have now been upgraded to the latest version of WordPress, meaning there are a few new features -- tags, for one. (Tags are kinda like categories, but you don't have to create them beforehand, and you can sprinkle them liberally on posts.)

If you spot any problems caused by this upgrade please post them here so I can take a look.

Cap'n Refsmmat
SFN Administrator

#29 Reaper

Reaper

Previously Lockheed

• Senior Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:35 AM

Alright, here's my blog --> http://blogs.science...t/renormalized/

There's nothing much in it yet, but I will soon fill it up with science related material and rants.

#30 iNow

iNow

SuperNerd

• Senior Members
  • 17,107 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:46 PM

If you spot any problems caused by this upgrade please post them here so I can take a look.

The Logout link doesn't seem to work from within the blogs. I get a vBulletin Message which says:

An error occurred while attempting to log you out. Click here to log out.

Cheers.

#31 Skye

Skye

Biology Expert

• Resident Experts
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:16 PM

Is there any way to view all new blog posts?

#32 ecoli

ecoli

murderator

• Moderators
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:38 PM

The Logout link doesn't seem to work from within the blogs. I get a vBulletin Message which says:

Cheers.

Well, the login is linked to SFN... if you go to the blogs from SFN, or if you sign into SFN and then go to the blog, you'll be signed in.

Perhaps if you log out of SFN, you'll also be logged out of wordpress?

#33 swansont

swansont

• Moderators
  • 35,685 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:08 PM

Anemicpsycho is spamming the blogs. Everyone should enable the plugin.

#34 ecoli

ecoli

murderator

• Moderators
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:28 PM

Another problem... can we not ping?

http://technorati.co.../wordpress.html
Pinging to technorati could help increase our web traffic, by keeping technorati up to date with our posts...

However, There is no "update services" option in Wordpress. Is this broken because our Wordpress is linked to SFN, or is it a problem with the Wordpress software itself?

#35 Cap'n Refsmmat

Cap'n Refsmmat

Mr. Wizard

• Administrators
  • 11,758 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:12 PM

The Logout link doesn't seem to work from within the blogs.

Blast. It's vB's way of preventing people from providing links on the forum that'll log you out -- you have to have a logout "hash" in the URL to the login page to make it work. I need to figure out how that works.

Is there any way to view all new blog posts?

The SFN home page has the last five, and there's an RSS feed of the last 20.

Another problem... can we not ping?

http://technorati.co.../wordpress.html
Pinging to technorati could help increase our web traffic, by keeping technorati up to date with our posts...

However, There is no "update services" option in Wordpress. Is this broken because our Wordpress is linked to SFN, or is it a problem with the Wordpress software itself?

WordPress MU doesn't let you customize that option. I looked in the main admin screen and it appears WordPress pings ping-o-matic automatically anyway.

For those that don't know, click Plugins on top and enable Spam Karma 2. WordPress comments are popular venues for spammers.

Cap'n Refsmmat
SFN Administrator

#36 blike

blike

Where are my ponies?

• Administrators
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:54 PM

Quoted for emphasis. Alternately, turn on comment moderation.
John
SFN Administrator

#37 Royston

Royston

Seņor Butt Monkey

• Senior Members
  • 2,669 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:55 PM

I've noticed a couple of blogs using LaTex, is this on request ? I could really do with LaTex to start my tutorial / revision for myself, category...if that's not too much trouble :)

#38 iNow

iNow

SuperNerd

• Senior Members
  • 17,107 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:40 PM

Blast. It's vB's way of preventing people from providing links on the forum that'll log you out -- you have to have a logout "hash" in the URL to the login page to make it work. I need to figure out how that works.

Well, much of that went over my head, but I trust that you're on the case. :-)

Does WordPress support latex? It doesn't appear so at the following:
http://blogs.science...-tutoriallatex/

#39 swansont

swansont

• Moderators
  • 35,685 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:51 PM

On the other hand
http://blogs.science...n-how-its-used/

#40 Klaynos

Klaynos

Insert Witty Comment

• Moderators
  • 8,311 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:51 PM

I've sent snail a pm telling him how to do it... for everyone else it's:

$latex yourcode $
Klaynos - share and enjoy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users