Eczema

Eczema

Good day everyone!

I have good news, that the cure for eczema exists. I'm not looking for medical advice or knowledge. This is more of a business question.

I'm trying to start a business selling this cure, however, this is difficult as I have no knowledge regarding business.

I turn to you, perhaps someone is knowledgeable, or you know other forums that are dedicated in business area.

The problem is; I want to patent (around 10-15 countires) the thing and then manufacture, and this requires a lot of money, I calculate around 2.5-3 million USD:

I have tried contacting venture capitalists, banks, companies with partnering programs, universities, institutions, but all either ignore or say they're not interested in pre-startups! They're missing on a gold treasure!

Anyway, do you people have any advice?

Thank you.

Good day

You need to make to make it a matter of "medical advice" if you want any one to take you seriously. Are you a doctor? Have you done double blind trials with it? What trials have you done? The problem with exzema is that, just as the severity can be affected by one's emotion, so it is highly susceptible to the "placebo effect". Even a situation where a salve has no effect at all, applying it to eczema on a person who believes it works can result in relieving the eczema. You use the word "cure". Have you established that it does "cure" rather than "relieve" the exzema?

You need to make to make it a matter of "medical advice" if you want any one to take you seriously. Are you a doctor? Have you done double blind trials with it? What trials have you done? The problem with exzema is that, just as the severity can be affected by one's emotion, so it is highly susceptible to the "placebo effect". Even a situation where a salve has no effect at all, applying it to eczema on a person who believes it works can result in relieving the eczema. You use the word "cure". Have you established that it does "cure" rather than "relieve" the exzema?

Yes, an actual cure. Would be dumb of me to come and write here and numerous other forums if I wasn't certain.

I am not asking you to reveal IP, simply what types of tests you performed, and how. Were they blinded? How did you assay effectiveness?

All I can say is, it worked. No placeboeffect, no tricks.

I can't go into details unless there's an NDA. I'm looking for information on how to capitalize on it. I thought that any educated people here would know as they plan to invent something or already have.

Edited by Eczema

I can't go into details unless there's an NDA. I'm looking for information on how to capitalize on it. I thought that any educated people here would know as they plan to invent something or already have.

To repeat: I am not asking for any information on IP. How did you determine there was no placebo? Were the tests blinded? Revealing that does not prevent you from having a sellable product, and in fact the reason I am asking you is to ascertain how best to help you with your question. If you haven't performed the right tests in the right way, no one in their right mind would or should want to fund you.

This is posted in "medical science". We don't have a "business advice" section. This is a science discussion site.

Just to add to my above post: by cure, I am making the assumption that the product is the invention, rather than the use. In any case, detailing the nature of the tests you used to determine that the product was effective at treating eczema should not constitute a breach of IP.

I am also finding the amount of money you claim you would need to be rather striking. Filing for a patent doesn't cost millions of dollars, which suggests to me that you haven't actually tested your product? Or something else?

This is posted in "medical science". We don't have a "business advice" section. This is a science discussion site.

I'm well aware of that. Read my first post where I explain why I have turned to you.

Wouldn't you want to help people with eczema to have a cure? Help a fellow get it out in the market.

@hypervalent_iodine

The costs are mostly for other than patents. Patent will cost around 100-200k. The rest is for setting up company, renting location, producing, manufacturing, buying in materials, hiring people, marketing to raise awareness. It's not cheap. A very small amount is to get FDAs to approve the cure for commercial use.

Edited by Eczema

You have refused repeatedly to say what tests you have run. That has nothing whatsoever to do with revealing any proprietary information. Frankly it looks to me like you have not done any sort of rigorous tests. Probably you tried it on yourself and possibly a few other people and it gave relief. You say it is not a "placebo effect". What tests have you done to ensure that? Do you even know what "placebo effect" means? Do you know the difference between "curing" eczema and "relieving" it?

And don't just say "yes" to those questions- tell us enough to ensure us that you do. If you want to sell something then you are going to have to make people believe you and you have to start answering questions. Have you run "double blind" tests? Do you know what "double blind" tests are?

I'm well aware of that. Read my first post where I explain why I have turned to you.

Wouldn't you want to help people with eczema to have a cure? Help a fellow get it out in the market.

@hypervalent_iodine

The costs are mostly for other than patents. Patent will cost around 100-200k. The rest is for setting up company, renting location, producing, manufacturing, buying in materials, hiring people, marketing to raise awareness. It's not cheap. A very small amount is to get FDAs to approve the cure for commercial use.

Find a lawyer who specializes in medical law, sign an NDA with him/her and you will find out what your options are. As for launching your own manufacturing for 3mln USD, unless you have the money yourself thats not going to work out for you. You are saying you know nothing about business, even if you had the money it still would be a difficult if not virtually impossible task to launch a new drug by yourself. You need an experienced lawyer to give you all the details. If the lawyer sees an oportunity to make money off of your invention that wil be the best indication that you got something.

Find a lawyer who specializes in medical law, sign an NDA with him/her and you will find out what your options are. As for launching your own manufacturing for 3mln USD, unless you have the money yourself thats not going to work out for you. You are saying you know nothing about business, even if you had the money it still would be a difficult if not virtually impossible task to launch a new drug by yourself. You need an experienced lawyer to give you all the details. If the lawyer sees an oportunity to make money off of your invention that wil be the best indication that you got something.

To add to what koti said, another option would be to "license" your idea/product, i.e. rent your idea to a company, which takes care of R&D, production, marketing, sales, accounting, distribution, and everything else you cannot or simply do not want to do. This creates a steady flow of income with little financial risk. More information on what licensing is: https://www.inventright.com/help/what-is-a-licensing

You will definitely need to demonstrate your idea/product works, if you expect anyone to pay for it.

@hypervalent_iodine

Based on your description you seem to propose a novel drug, which needs to be approved. That process alone will cost you more than the budget you propose. It won't be a small amount. Getting a bioequivalent approved would be cheaper but still eat up most of it. For that budget at best you can try to get a small startup rolling and get some preclinicals done so that one could find an investor to actually get the required money in. Even ignoring that bit, trying to build facilities to produce drugs on a 2 mill budget is.... ambitious.

But honestly, the biggest warning sign is probably the expectation that one could start a business by doing some rough estimates and then asking around on various boards. It may work for Etsy products, but certainly not for drugs.