Everything could seem shocking because, in fact, it should be nothing, not even the Universe?

Enric

Everything could seem shocking because, in fact, it should be nothing, not even the Universe?

In a thoughtful day.

Everything as the Universe itself... and all its content.

Edited by Enric

As I said in a past topic: Is it the Universe created alone? Yes or not? Only Yes or Not. The answer can only be absurd. The only way to avoid absurdity is the lack of somebody or something asking the question.

Just because we do not understand or cannot explain something doesn't make it shocking... one day we might come up with a theory that shows how and why the universe happened. At the moment it is beyond explanation.

Why do you think it shouldn't have happened? By the very fact that it DID happen I am inclined to believe that it SHOULD have happened and was just a matter of time.... oh, lets say 100,0000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 million years or so for the fabric of reality to accidently quiver at the right set of resonant frequencies to cause a ginormous rip in space and time which caused the big bang and the ,creation' of our universe as we now know it.... which was only about 14.5 MYO iirc. Of course this is pure speculation and I am not sure we will ever be able to pin point the reason behind the BB. I hope I am wrong and the cause is discovered sometime. Probably not in our lifetimes though.

It should be nothing, not even ressonances or possibility to exist that, and, less still, somebody rational asking the question the Universe is self-created or not.

Logic till the end.

Only because all this issue sounds odd since the beginning till the end. Maths sound good but this grates a lot.

Edited by Enric

Why should it be nothing? Because you say so? Why shouldn't it be 'something'.?

If there was any chance, however small, of substance forming and matter and the universe coming into existence by whatever freak mechanism at all.... then it HAS to happen eventually given enough time.

...."Universe is self created or not"? - What do you even mean by this? How would anyone at all even know? You know what our most up to date theories are and they have been improving and will probably continue to improve with time. No-one can answer all of your questions (which proves or disproves nothing).

Of course. But, by the moment, it sounds odd, it isn't? And who knows in the future, but I'm afraid that we don't start in a good way. And it will continue forever with more or less information.

After a question, another question for all the eternity. It doesn't seem very, very, very serious all this issue.

Edited by Enric

"more or less information" - we know more now than we did 10 years ago. We knew more then than we did 10 years before that. We knew more early last century than we did the century before. Why the doom and gloom? Can't we hope that we continue to improve our understanding of the universe and spread love and peace in the world knowing we are doing the best we can? We are progressing further and further... I personally hope that we can continue as a species where others have failed and make conscious choices about our survival which leads to colonising other planets and spreading out (in case of disaster on this planet - which will come eventually in some form or another).

Edited by DrP

In a thoughtful day.

I read this as meaning that logically it is impossible for the universe to exist - therefore it is amazing (shocking) that it does exist.

The steps in logic being...

i) If starting from a state of true nothingness, then it is not possible for the universe to come into existence.

ii) Therefore the alternative must be true - that the universe started from a state of something.

iii) But that then leads to the question of where did the "something" itself come from? and we are back to i)

Hence a logical paradox that must be flawed - since the universe does exist.

I read this as meaning that logically it is impossible for the universe to exist - therefore it is amazing (shocking) that it does exist.

The steps in logic being...

i) If starting from a state of true nothingness, then it is not possible for the universe to come into existence.

ii) Therefore the alternative must be true - that the universe started from a state of something.

iii) But that then leads to the question of where did the "something" itself come from? and we are back to i)

Hence a logical paradox that must be flawed - since the universe does exist.

So, valid logic requires that both the logical argument is sound and the premises true.

We have problems with both of these.

There are two assumptions here:

1. That the universe came into existence

2. That it cannot come into existence from nothing

Is there any evidence for either of those?

In a thoughtful day.

Not sure I understand your post, mate.

Is it a way of saying,,Don't sweat the small stuff? And, it's ALL small stuff. At least, in the Grand Scheme of Things?

I agree, and to remind me of this valuable Maxim I have a poster in my office at school. Has a picture of the Milky Way galaxy, an arrow pointing to Earth's location amidst all those hundreds of billions of stars, and it is captioned..... N ext time you get stressed out, just remember..You are HERE.

LOL

Edited by Velocity_Boy