Heavily Discounted

There are people who charge for the kind of information we disseminate for free

https://aeon.co/ideas/what-i-learned-as-a-hired-consultant-for-autodidact-physicists

The description of these "alternative science" folks sounds quite familiar.

The majority of my callers are the ones who seek advice for an idea they’ve tried to formalise, unsuccessfully, often for a long time. Many of them are retired or near retirement, typically with a background in engineering or a related industry. All of them are men. Many base their theories on images, downloaded or drawn by hand, embedded in long pamphlets. A few use basic equations. Some add videos or applets. Some work with 3D models of Styrofoam, cardboard or wires. The variety of their ideas is bewildering, but these callers have two things in common: they spend an extraordinary amount of time on their theories, and they are frustrated that nobody is interested.

Wow, $50 per 20 minutes. And I'll bet these consultants aren't stopping these men early on to correct basic flaws. It would be so easy to offer encouragement instead, pointing out corrections as you go, but keeping these guys on the line for more money.

That's a dangerous combo for the crackpot, emotional surety + just a little more money. It's a con artist's dream. We know these guys can go on for pages when most of the responses are telling them it's a no-go idea. Imagine if they had someone telling them, "Hmm, you could really be on to something here, with a little patience and some digging!"

Wow, $50 per 20 minutes. And I'll bet these consultants aren't stopping these men early on to correct basic flaws. It would be so easy to offer encouragement instead, pointing out corrections as you go, but keeping these guys on the line for more money.

That's a dangerous combo for the crackpot, emotional surety + just a little more money. It's a con artist's dream. We know these guys can go on for pages when most of the responses are telling them it's a no-go idea. Imagine if they had someone telling them, "Hmm, you could really be on to something here, with a little patience and some digging!"

I hadn't thought of that. Cha-ching!

Though I do recall an IP lawyer friend of mine mentioning he was happy to take money from the perpetual motion clients who were convinced their device would work when they got better magnets, since he was hired to do legal paperwork and not give physics advice.

There are people who charge for the kind of information we disseminate for free

https://aeon.co/ideas/what-i-learned-as-a-hired-consultant-for-autodidact-physicists

The description of these "alternative science" folks sounds quite familiar.

Interesting. It illustrates that people don't know what they don't know; that there is an horizon beyond the one theycan see.

Fascinating article. I particularly like this bit:

Science writers should be more careful to point out when we are using metaphors. My clients read way too much into pictures, measuring every angle, scrutinising every colour, counting every dash. Illustrators should be more careful to point out what is relevant information and what is artistic freedom. But the most important lesson I’ve learned is that journalists are so successful at making physics seem not so complicated that many readers come away with the impression that they can easily do it themselves. How can we blame them for not knowing what it takes if we never tell them?

I hadn't thought of that. Cha-ching!

Though I do recall an IP lawyer friend of mine mentioning he was happy to take money from the perpetual motion clients who were convinced their device would work when they got better magnets, since he was hired to do legal paperwork and not give physics advice.

Good for your friend for making that distinction.

I suppose this is no different than any endeavor where someone hires experts but doesn't really listen to them unless they're saying what that someone wants to hear. Which psychic makes the most money, the one that tells you you're going to have a pretty run-of-the-mill week, or the one that tells you adventure is in store when you meet a beautiful stranger?

Geez, and most of my or mine colleague's fees are typically half of that (for external commercial consulting).

Truth is cheap, padding costs extra.