No vitamin D generated without sunshine ?

what if we don't get sunshine for a long time so that our body cannot generate vitamin D regardless of how much milk fortified with vitamin D we drink quite often, therefore we still get osteoporosis without sunshine ?

is it true or false ?

Edited by fresh

If we lived in caves and never saw the sun but kept on eating and drinking thinks like milk that contain vitamin D we would not suffer from vitamin D deficiency.

Also, if there was no vitamin D in our diet (which would be possible for a vegan) but we were exposed to plenty of sunlight we would not suffer from vitamin D deficiency..

so as long as we obtain enough Vitamin D from food, our chance of getting vitamin D deficiency is low.

If we lived in caves and never saw the sun but kept on eating and drinking thinks like milk that contain vitamin D we would not suffer from vitamin D deficiency.

Also, if there was no vitamin D in our diet (which would be possible for a vegan) but we were exposed to plenty of sunlight we would not suffer from vitamin D deficiency..

Are Eskimo not exposed to sun ? If people were exposed to plenty of sunlight they would suffer from more wrinkles.

They get their D from food.

we are ok to avoid sunshine without worrying about VD deficiency because food can provide enough VD we need. we can ignore sunshine.but how about osteoporosis ? if we get VD from food with not enough exercise will we get osteoporosis early ?

we are ok to avoid sunshine without worrying about VD deficiency because food can provide enough VD we need. we can ignore sunshine.but how about osteoporosis ? if we get VD from food with not enough exercise will we get osteoporosis early ?

Lack of exercise, amongst other things, is a risk factor. Taking vitamin D should not be thought of as a way to mitigate the effects of doing no exercise.

only depends on what we eat ? are you sure ? no need exercise ?

our body will get information that our host doesn't exercise so he or she does not need enough source, let's have a long holiday and work less.

only depends on what we eat ? are you sure ? no need exercise ?

our body will get information that our host doesn't exercise so he or she does not need enough source, let's have a long holiday and work less.

I didn't say it only depends on what you eat.

Obviously, it depends on other things too

• 1 month later...

About 15 minutes of sunshine on one's face and hands is sufficient for production of vitamin D3.

I suffer from psoriasis, and each day apply Calcipotriene ointment to affected areas on my skin.

Calcipotriene is a synthetic vitamin D3 derivative for topical dermatological use.

I could get the same benefit by instead utilizing a tanning bed that exposes the skin to UVB radiation.

HYDERABAD: In an alarming trend, an increasing number of women from across the city who wear the burqa or observe purdah are being diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency on account of inadequate exposure to sunlight. Exposure of at least hands or feet to sunlight every day for 15-20 minutes is necessary for the vital compound to be absorbed into the body, advice doctors.

"Around 15 per cent of the body should be exposed to sunlight for around 20 minutes a day. It could be hands or feet," National Institute of Nutrition deputy director Dr N Lakshmaiah told TOI. "Otherwise supplements in the form of conventional tablets should be used regularly." link

When I was a graduate student, Hector DeLuca told us about a religious sect in which veiled women were suffering from this deficiency. The leader(s) then set up a kind of ritual, where the women left the men en masse for a few minutes each day and removed one or more veils to allow for production of vitamin D.

• 1 year later...

Lack of exercise, amongst other things, is a risk factor. Taking vitamin D should not be thought of as a way to mitigate the effects of doing no exercise.

I lack of exercise and exposure to sunshine, even though i drink milk everyday & eat food which provides vitamin D, i am still at risk of osteoporosis. is my understanding right ?

I rather doubt that it's possible- until you notice the broken bones.

What's the problem with hospital?

What's the problem with eating a diet that contains Vitamin D

What's the problem with getting sunlight?

Don't you have better things to worry about?

Bone density test is very expensive;

I have a diet that contains vitamin D;

I lack of exercise because of my job.

I only depend on what I eat to avoid osteoporosis.

I lack of exercise and exposure to sunshine, even though i drink milk everyday & eat food which provides vitamin D, i am still at risk of osteoporosis. is my understanding right ?

Bone density test is very expensive;

I have a diet that contains vitamin D;

I lack of exercise because of my job.

I only depend on what I eat to avoid osteoporosis.

Just eating food with D3 in it is insufficient to maintain a healthy level and no good for restoring the levels to a normal level. You need daily exposure to sunshine as well, or supplementation, in the absence of sunshine to maintain acceptable levels.

Here's some info from NIH: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/

If this is a concern, I would get a vitamin D test done and have it assessed by a doctor who may then put you on high-dose supplementation; you cannot buy tablets with the required levels to restore deficiency - they are prescription-only. Not in the UK anyway,

I've been through this process recently with vitamin D and learned this stuff from the people treating me.

Go see your doctor.

thanks StringJunky. i wonder do Eskimos lack of vitamin D and suffer from osteoporosis due to low exposure to sunshine?

It seems that they do now since Europeans settled there and influenced changes in their diet. A quick-and -dirty theory is that low vitamin D requirements were selected for and what they did need came from blubber from seals etc. Also, they use their available vitamin more efficiently and achieve calcium absorption by other means to supplement the normal sources.

Low vitamin D levels have led to similar adaptations in other darker-skinned populations. The Inuit have normal serum calcium despite low serum 25(OH)D and a calcium-deficient diet. They seem to absorb calcium more efficiently, perhaps because of receptors that bind more strongly to the vitamin D molecule (42). They also have above-normal levels of 1,25(OH)2D despite having low levels of 25(OH)D. Thus, in Inuit peoples, vitamin D is produced at a lower rate but is then converted at a higher rate to its most active form (29). Perhaps for similar reasons, Amerindian women have lower serum 25(OH)D than do European American women and yet possess a higher bone mass until menopause (9,43).

In sum, there are many possible reasons why some human populations have managed to survive and even thrive despite apparently deficient levels of vitamin D. This vitamin may be less necessary because stores of calcium and phosphorus are used more efficiently, because these elements are absorbed from the gut via alternate metabolic pathways, because vitamin D is transported more efficiently through the bloodstream and into target tissues, because the vitamin D receptor binds more strongly to this molecule, or because 25(OH)D is converted to 1,25(OH)2D at a higher rate (6,44).
Note; 'Eskimos' are Inuits but not all Inuits are Eskimos. There are several subgroups, of which Eskimo is one.
Edited by StringJunky