Worldwide water shortage by 2040

EdEarl

Can you show that the use of copper or plastic pipes are a health hazard?

Actually it makes salt by desalinating water.

Well, by evaporating the water. If by "desalinated water" you mean not having any water, then maybe ...

And it was used for millennia for plumbing (the clue is in the name) with no ill effects because it soon gets coated in a protective layer of insoluble oxides, etc.

Unless you live in an area where the water is soft.

You seem not to have noticed that those don't refer to toxicity from pipework.

And actually it makes salt be dewatering salt.

Oh, for God's sake.

The first appears to be unsourced rumour "Scientists claim..." on a site full of dubious (at best) claims.

The second is reasonable: lead pipes are a Bad Thing.

The third looks as dubious as the first but says that plastic may be your best bet. Not that I would trust them as they mention cyanide in bamboo shoots (true) in connection with bamboo pipes (not true).

The fourth talks about the possible toxic effects of large doses of iron. It states that the level of iron from pipes is well below the recommended minium maximum. The final line is "No health-based guideline value for iron is proposed."

So, we can conclude that lead plumbing should be avoided. Shock news, indeed.

Edited by Strange

OK, let's look at the first of those and count the cockups in just one paragraph.

"Over a long period of time this leads to a build-up of copper in your body, which in turn leads to Alzheimer's disease, heart disease and diabetes because your body cannot process the metal."

Over a long period of time this leads to a build-up of copper in your body,

No it doesn't. Copper is not a cumulative toxin- the body excretes it in the urine

"which in turn leads to Alzheimer's disease"

The causes of Alzheimer's disease are unknown, but copper is, at best, not strongly associated with it.

"your body cannot process the metal."

There's a specific disease where people can't process copper properly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson's_disease

If you don't have Wilson's disease your body can handle more copper than you find in drinking water.

There's a limit for copper in drinking water set by the WHO.

It's based on taste more than toxicity.

And actually it makes salt be dewatering salt.

The water could be collected, but previously collecting it has been of too little value to be economically valuable. In today's world, there might be a case for collecting the salt, collecting the water, and making solar electricity. Evaporating water would cool the PV array, which makes it more efficient, yet there would be enough heat under a PV roof to quickly evaporate saltwater. The pure water could be collected as drops fall from the bottom of the PV.

I hope someone with the money has or will check out this idea. I may as well give it into the public domain.

Edit: On second thought, another configuration would be better.

Edited by EdEarl

OK, let's look at the first of those and count the cockups in just one paragraph.

"Over a long period of time this leads to a build-up of copper in your body, which in turn leads to Alzheimer's disease, heart disease and diabetes because your body cannot process the metal."

Over a long period of time this leads to a build-up of copper in your body,

No it doesn't. Copper is not a cumulative toxin- the body excretes it in the urine

"which in turn leads to Alzheimer's disease"

The causes of Alzheimer's disease are unknown, but copper is, at best, not strongly associated with it.

"your body cannot process the metal."

There's a specific disease where people can't process copper properly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson's_disease

If you don't have Wilson's disease your body can handle more copper than you find in drinking water.

There's a limit for copper in drinking water set by the WHO.

It's based on taste more than toxicity.

Not my cockups. I'm just expected to learn them.

• 4 weeks later...

Water is really really important, I write books about this and make videos to explain to kids what is going on.....a water shortage can be the next big war but till then lets start working towards better ways of not wasting water...and doing all we can to stop that from really happening ! Follow my link to learn more!

• 1 month later...

Each kWh of electricity consumes 1.8 liters of water evaporated into the atmosphere for heat rejection at thermal power plants. That's poor water efficiency. But air cooling can't dissipate more than 1 W/cm2 even with blowers. For nuclear and coal plants sited in dry areas, poor water efficiency -- on the part of the biggest water hog of all, power generation -- has led to a needless confrontation.

It's not necessary to chose water or electricity. Both could be improved by harvesting the power of wet steam more completely by expanding it in the radial counterflow open von Karman geometry between counter-rotating coaxial spiral-bladed radial turbines having axial extraction of low enthalpy saturated vapor into the condenser. By pushing on the blades and causing the disks to counter-rotate, the wet turbine exhaust steam loses enthalpy doing useful work, making more electricity and reducing the need for heat rejection to a scale that air cooling might handle. For even more power harvesting from waste heat, a bottoming organic Rankine cycle. The solutions are out there, but no money is being spent to improve water effiiciency.

My father told me that they said the same about year 2000 in the 60s and 70s. :)

But water crises are getting serious and we must do something about them.

Things have been done since the 60's and 70's to conserve water. Enviromental protect has also helped protect water sources. We have also come up with more effecient ways to filter and reuse a lot more water than we did in the 60's and 70's. The failure of those claims being fully achieved by 2000 is a good thing and should not be used to view our current state of affairs with doubt.

Here is some good information from the USGS showing that water usage per person in the United States peaked in 1975 and has been dropping since. Despite population growth less water is used today.

http://www.dce.k-state.edu/conf/waterfuture/docs/evenson-trends-water-use.pdf

Edited by Ten oz

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.