How to present a new discovery

Tancho

Hi there, im new to the forum just like to say hi first before asking questions smile.png

Im not in the medical profession.

I have been doing my own research on a particular microorganism which is airborne, this research is me and my partner spouse funded by ourself. I believe i have come across a organism which has never been discovered before, i have been studying this for years now. Im 100% sure this has not been discovered.

My question is how does one present a new discovery, i can captivate the organism anytime i need, i know what it does meaning as behaviour and habits, it plays a distructive part in the human body.

How do i go about, and who approves that this is a new discovery, how do i become the named discoverer as to put a name title on this.

Any advice good or bad is greatly appreciated, by the way im in England.

Write up a paper, submit it to a journal. Give talks to professional societies.

One should read journals to become familiar with the way the results are presented. One should also read them to ensure you are indeed the first to observe it.

Wikipedia has an outline of the process for naming a new species, which might be of interest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species_naming#Naming_of_a_new_species

You may need to work with an expert in the field to properly identify whether it is a new species (and perhaps get the DNA sequenced).

And you need to get you paper proofread before submitting it (e.g "capture" not "captivate" :) )

How do i go about, and who approves that this is a new discovery, how do i become the named discoverer as to put a name title on this.

I would guess that just by being the first and naming it how you want would set a precedent which would tend to be used, if it's appropriately named. I don't think there are any laws to govern rights to name discoveries or anything.

If you think someone might try to steal credit, you can easily create proof of who wrote it and when. Decades ago people would mail a physical sealed copy to themselves, but now anywhere that is indexable by Google should be proof enough. Posting to a blog or a writing repository or a prepub repository (arXiv, or vixra if you don't have credentials) should make it easy to prove that you wrote about the idea when you did. Hundreds of years ago scientists kept their work secret, so there was a fight over eg. who invented calculus. Newton kept his work secret for decades, I think.