Does cold air sink in space?

too-open-minded

If you mean "in zero gravity", then no separation occurs.

Though, if said gas is abundent enough to create its own gravity, that is approximately as massive as a Solar system, then some separation will occur. But as the center gets compressed and heats as a result, the process is less than obvious.

So in "zero gravity" No separation of any density in a body of mass occurs?

Abundant enough? their has to be enough? I thought anything that that has mass, has gravity?

Maybe I am misunderstanding, please specify more Enthalpy.

I want to know what the difference would be between a body of gas changing temperature on earth and in "zero gravity."

So their can be the same amount of an element but depending on its temperature is the variable to whether or not their is a diffusion in the cloud?

Well I guess that really just actually depends on temperature variation. that was my question, so the colder gas in a cloud, condenses in the middle of the cloud in zero gravity? How does that differ from in the presence of a strong gravitational field and why?

I really like where this thread is going.

do we have any knowledge of why hydrogen does that?

"In physics, the Jeans instability causes the collapse of interstellar gas clouds and subsequent star formation. It occurs when the internal gas pressure is not strong enough to prevent gravitational collapse of a region filled with matter. For stability, the cloud must be in hydrostatic equilibrium, which in case of a spherical cloud translates to:

1e2c142f291f34046a43000cad756c3d.png,

where 67549ab6c922a5c5a6360f9f952bdca4.png is the enclosed mass, 83878c91171338902e0fe0fb97a8c47a.png is the pressure, e907c4eeba8d7cb0a1f0607079158fa0.png is the density of the gas at 4b43b0aee35624cd95b910189b3dc231.png, dfcf28d0734569a6a693bc8194de62bf.png is the gravitational constant and 4b43b0aee35624cd95b910189b3dc231.png is the radius. The equilibrium is stable if small perturbations are damped and unstable if they are amplified. In general, the cloud is unstable if it is either very massive at a given temperature or very cool at a given mass for gravity to overcome the gas pressure."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeans_instability

So their can be the same amount of an element but depending on its temperature is the variable to whether or not their is a diffusion in the cloud?

Well I guess that really just actually depends on temperature variation. that was my question, so the colder gas in a cloud, condenses in the middle of the cloud in zero gravity? How does that differ from in the presence of a strong gravitational field and why?

If you have a big cloud of hydrogen you can't approximate the region as being in zero gravity anymore.

How big the cloud needs to be depends on temperature. It's not a simple question.

What's really weird is that if you get a big enough cloud of hydrogen, and wait long enough, bits of it start to wonder where they came from.

Are you saying that Too Open Minded is an airhead?

-_0 wow, just googled this and realized.... wow...... Right over my head......

Idk why but for some reason I read that as, bits of hydrogen out of the cloud started to wonder from where they came from. As in they begin to leave the cloud. wow, I can be so dumb sometimes lol.

Edited by too-open-minded

I thought it was fairly clear. About 14 billion years ago the universe was created as a bunch of hydrogen. Some of that fused into heavier nuclei like carbon and iron and such. Some of those elements have come together to form planets and, on at least one of those planets life has arisen.

Some of the life on that planet wonders where it came from- the humans.

So some of the original hydrogen is now reading this message.

No lol, I get it. I just thought you meant that a cloud of hydrogen will start to separate after a given period of time.....

I really need to work on giving things more thought, I read your wonder as wander.... and took it very literally lol.....

Edited by too-open-minded