Diabetes and cures

too-open-minded

So I'm pretty sure I have diabetes. I have had many symptoms and if I don't have diabetes I know I'm in the early stages of it.

What can I do to prevent type 2 from getting worse or even cure it?

I have no health insurance and don't want to see a doctor.

What can fasting or a 6 course diet plan do for me? Any other advice?

In the meantime, exercise often and eat more vegetables. Avoid sodas and sugars and stuff when you can. Exercise and proper diet can go a very long way toward mitigating and even reversing symptoms of Diabetes Type II.

That said, I need to repeat Phi's advise. This is an internet forum. Going to a doctor is best. The longer you wait, the more damage you might do to organs like your kidneys if there is truly a problem.

I am pretty young, however I was obese as a child. I weighed over 200 pounds in the fifth grade, I was really obese from the third to 10th grade. Now i'm just kind of chubby and nineteen years old. Growing up my diet consisted of 3 packs of ramen noodles at a time, huge plates of sandwiches, two double whoppers from burger king, lots of candy, and soda. I was an alcoholic for about two years and I know their is lots of sugar in alcohol. Recently I have felt lots of numbness in the tips of my fingers, however that lasted for about two weeks then went away. My sleeping pattern has been really weird and even when I get lots of sleep, i'm incredibly tired sometimes. If I eat a big meal, I can easily fall asleep (not like usual itis this is something way stronger.) I feel like I've been having mood swings, my grandpa has type 2 and is really moody when his sugar is low or high. If i don't eat for awhile, i'm easily irritable. This is not like me at all, I am very hard to agitate, can usually get over it quickly, and have always had a calm demeanor. I have also noticed symptoms like blurred vision after eating unhealthy.

Diabetes is the only rational conclusion I can come to and I can't afford a couple hundred dollar doctors bill at the moment.

I'm almost positive I have it and if I don't have clinical type 2 diabetes, my insulin levels aren't far from it. I could be wrong, I'm not a doctor and I know this is a forum. However I'm not too worried about diagnosis, just asking for any tips on avoiding diabetes.

So far I plan on eating 6 small meals a day roughly 3-4 hours apart including fruits, veggies, and lean meats. Getting on a better sleeping pattern with atleast 6-8 hours. Start exercising again, and get some sunlight everyday.

Edited by too-open-minded

More protein, less carbs is generally a good approach. Fewer noodles and fast food, more beans and chicken and lean meats. Supplement with veggies and even if you're not experiencing Type 2 diabetes you'll be in better shape and probably feel better. And drink more water. A good idea for just about anyone, so long as you don't down gallons of it.

Given what you described, though... Depression is possible, too. On the internet, though... none of us know. Doctor is needed, perhaps a local clinic can help?

Everybody has an opinion and, unfortunately, there are almost as many types of diet. I have Type 2 diabetes, and I recommend you restrict your calories and loose weight. It is very hard, and I have not succeeded, few do, but it can be done. My doctor wants to check my blood for A1C three times a year, and the medication costs about $250/yr with insurance in the US.

Without medication diabetes can make you blind and cause loss of toes, fingers, and feet. It can even kill. If your only choice is diet, then loose weight. I recommend you watch the documentary "Forks over Knives," which recommends a vegan diet. There are people who believe a vegan diet is unhealthy, but I am much healthier since I started eating a vegan diet, especially my feet, which had been numb and had neuropathic pain for years. My pain is gone, and my feet and toes are much healthier now, I can once again feel things in my feet. I am also no longer taking blood pressure medication. I have not lost much weight, but I am nearly 70 and have limited ability to walk.

No matter what diet you choose, your risk for serious complications from diabetes will be reduced if you loose weight and become skinny. Walk at least a mile every day. Diet and exercise will help you, you will feel better, look better, and live better. Eventually, you will learn to like that life style, but at first you may hate it.

Good luck.

Edited by EdEarl

Please look beyond your fears and understand that we shouldn't even be suggesting you lose weight, which is normally a good thing for most. Without a face-to-face examination from a doctor, you could be doing the absolute wrong thing by curbing calories. It may sound like good advice but right now you're trying to make logical decisions based on emotion and need.

You need data. You need to know what you're up against. You need to maximize the efficiency of your limited resources. You can't afford to be spending anything until you know whether or not it will help. This is not best handled with guessing and internet opinions.

There has to be a viable way you can have your blood tested to see if you're diabetic. This is a gap in your knowledge that needs to be filled with solid evidence, not fears and guesses. Clinics, universities, private organizations, there should be a way to get that test done.

The most important part is that you need to see the need. Forgive the fat kid who overindulged and deal with the mess he made in the smartest way you know how. The next step is to find out more about the mess. Don't be too-closed-minded about this. wink.png

I agree with you Phi, he should see a doctor. However, diabetes is a condition in which the body cannot process sugar properly. Too much or too little sugar will put a person in coma and can kill them. A persons body does not react to too much sugar until it is extremely high. Although, people usually get jittery when it starts to get low.

Diabetes testing at home is inexpensive, and a person can buy the devices without a prescription. He should at least test himself daily in the morning before eating. Everyone should have blood sugar around 100. More than 110 is high and less than 80 is low. Below 50 is dangerous, and one can go into hypoglycemic coma. If one has a blood sugar of 50 they should eat a teaspoon or two of sugar as an emergency precaution.

Above 200 is not good. However, hyperglycemia does not cause coma until ones blood sugar is much higher. If you test 200 or more after fasting, it is really important to see a doctor and get medication.

IMO if you test above 140 while fasting, you should carefully control your diet and monitor glucose an hour after eating to see how much your glucose goes up.

Eat small amounts often rather than large meals.

Testing within 4 hours of eating will give inconclusive results. A reliable glucose test is done after fasting for about 12 hours.

Here is a procedure to determine if you are diabetic.

You may be able to see a doctor through the county, through a diabetes clinic, or through youth services. Call around! You need to be assessed. It's possible that changes in your diet can get this under control early, and the changes you mention (eating more frequently, eating healthier, getting more sun & exercise) probably can't hurt you, but nonetheless you DO need to have your blood sugar levels checked.

Are you sure that's what you will do?

It seems to me that you have evidence that's pretty much as convincing as a blood test, yet you won't go to the doctor.

Why will getting confirmation change that?

Are you certain that you won't just tell yourself that "well, I'm keeping an eye on it and so now I don't need to see the doctor"?

Stop kidding yourself and go and see one.

A friend of mine is managing to control his blood sugar pretty well without "medical" intervention thanks to the advice he received so you have a lot to gain and nothing to lose by going to the doctor.

I guess calling a local hospital and asking for a price range on a diabetes diagnosis won't hurt. I just know I can't afford another doctors bill right now when I can't pay my last one which was at a health clinic which offers lots of free services.

I'm taking action right now on this and i'll follow up on anything I need to.

I'm testing my blood sugar tomorrow and i'll call and find a price range for a doctors appointment regarding diabetes diagnosis.

If your blood sugar is 200 or above when fasting, you are at risk to loose appendages, organs, and life. In my experience, above 120 has the same risks, but the damage is slower. I was not diagnosed with diabetes, yet my feet became numb (neuropathy) with no apparent cause except diabetes. I was tested for more than two years without showing that I had diabetes (my glucose was 120 or below), yet my feet got worse and worse. In other words, the doctors suspected I had diabetes, but could not demonstrate it with tests. I now their suspicions were more accurate than the tests.

Stop kidding yourself and go and see one. <snip> you have a lot to gain and nothing to lose by going to the doctor.

Remember, John. Many of us here live in a third world backward-ass country known as "the United States" where healthcare is often a privilege available only to the wealthy. It sounds to me as if our OP would very much go see a doctor if cost weren't such a prohibitive factor for him.

• 3 weeks later...

@too-open-minded;

I am not a doctor, but I've had Juvenile diabetes for about 30 years now, and no health insurance for most of it.

For your situation, this is what you can do.

Only because it is a matter of life and death and only for that reason will I say this one time; go to WalMart.

WalMart has a line of products in their pharmacy called ReliOn. You want a glucometer, I recommend the ReliOn Prime. It will come with an automatic lancing device and some lancets. It will cost about $15, give or take a buck or two. You will need test strips to go with the glucometer. For the Prime they will cost about $10 for 50 of them. I have never been asked for a prescription when buying testing supplies.

Test your bloodsugar often. On waking, and before and after eating. If you have several readings over about a week that exceed 140 mg/dl then that means you need to see some kind of health care professional fairly soon. Normal is between 80 and 110 mg/dl.